[help] Kodak Photo-Flo dilution

Old September 30th 04, 09:02 PM
Roberto_R

Default [help] Kodak Photo-Flo dilution

Hello,
I purchased a 500ml bottle of Kodak Photo-Flo. It's *concentrated*, but I'm
not sure about the dilution. 1:200? 1:600? There's no info on the bottle
(only health warnings)
Please note it's the french version (maybe different).

Thanks for suggestions

Roberto (Italy)

Old October 1st 04, 12:30 AM
Louie Powell

"Roberto_R" wrote in
:

Hello,
I purchased a 500ml bottle of Kodak Photo-Flo. It's *concentrated*,
but I'm not sure about the dilution. 1:200? 1:600? There's no info on
the bottle (only health warnings)
Please note it's the french version (maybe different).

Thanks for suggestions

Roberto (Italy)

Roberto -

The concern with diluting PhotoFlo is not precision, but rather that you
want to make sure that the working solution is diluted enough. If
anything, it is preferable to use an even greater dilution rate than
recommended, especially if the water you use has low mineral content.

An alternative, not-so-scientific dilution rate for PhotoFlow 200 is to use
the bottle cap as a measure - use one capful of concentrate per gallon
(about four liters) of water. Half a cap is even better.

The purpose of PhotoFlo is to break down the surface tension of the water.
An excessively strong solution will leave a residue on your film that is
undesirable.

Old October 1st 04, 04:13 AM
Paddleman

Yea, that's right. Use an eye dropper, it works for me.
Regards,
Gary
Old October 1st 04, 05:13 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Roberto_R" wrote
Hello,
I purchased a 500ml bottle of Kodak Photo-Flo. It's *concentrated*, but I'm
not sure about the dilution. 1:200? 1:600? There's no info on the bottle
(only health warnings)

The dilution is 1:200. In the US the name is "Photo-Flo 200".

I dilute it 1:8 in 91% isopropyl alcohol to make a stock solution.
I then dilute this 1:25 for use - using stainless tanks and reels
it works out to 10ml per 250ml tank - easy to measure.

I find it works best when diluted using steam distilled water.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
Old October 1st 04, 06:05 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Roberto_R" wrote in message
Hello,
I purchased a 500ml bottle of Kodak Photo-Flo. It's
*concentrated*, but I'm
not sure about the dilution. 1:200? 1:600? There's no info
on the bottle
(only health warnings)
Please note it's the french version (maybe different).

Thanks for suggestions

Roberto (Italy)

One possibility is to contact the Kodak office for Italy
in Milan and ask. The number is: 39-2-660-28710

I looked for French MSDS on the Kodak web site and found
2 for Photo-Flo without any further name. From the
ingredients both appear to be Photo-Flo 600. There is also
am MSDS for Photo-Flo 600 under that name. The concentration
of ingredients indicate that all three are the 600 variety.
The dilution given for working strength of the unspecified
kind is approximately 1.67 ml to make a liter, which is
right for the Photo-Flo 600 version. The ingredients look
about the same as for the US version of Photo-Flo 600.
I can't gurantee this is what you have so I think a call
to the local Kodak office is in order.
Photo-Flo works well at about half the strength
recommended by Kodak. A good final rinse consists of:
Distilled or boiled and filtered water to 1.0 liter
Isopropyl alcohol, 99% 25.0 ml
Kodak Photo-Flow, at half the recommended amount whatever
that is for the version you have.
Isopropyl rubbing alcohol can be used if it doesn't have
anything else in it, like Oil of Wintergreen or other
flavorings, the amount will be about 35 ml/liter. The
amounts are not at all critical. Soak the film in this
mixture for about one minute with gentle agitation and hang
up to dry without squeegeeing.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old October 2nd 04, 09:33 AM
Roberto_R

Ken,
the european package is a little bit different. At least, this one has no
strenght info (200 or 600). Only *Photo-Flo*.

Roberto

"Ken Burns" ha scritto nel messaggio
ink.net...
TYPO!!!! If its PF200, dilute 1:200.