Will Lightroom Become Web Only?

Old October 22nd 17, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Will Lightroom Become Web Only?

On 10/22/2017 2:43 AM, android wrote:
There's two versions of Lightroom now: The web based CC and the client
based Classic CC. In other areas Classic usually mean that this is
product is on the way out. The latest Volvo 240, the most classic Volvo
series ever second as symbol for the make only to the P1800 was called
just that and not Dl, GlT or something...

Can you adapt and put your entire workflow in the Cloud? Would you pay
extra for an "Enterprise" version that you would be allowed to host
Adobe products locally? How would you react to a cloud based Photoshop
editor proper?

That possibility is exactly why I am experimenting with other stand
alone editing apps. If that happens, at this point any positive
statement either way is speculative, I want to keep my options open.

BTW & way OT, I just got an invitation to test drive a Volvo. From what
I have been hearing, it's a well made car.

--
PeterN
Old October 22nd 17, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

[...]

They have a new plant in the US now, I believe.... I'm sooo current in
Volvo since Ford took over! :-))) Beware of late units of the -79s...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 22nd 17, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Savageduck:
Also consider that all of the Creative Cloud Apps are considered web based,
including Photoshop CC 2018.

Utter nonsense. Adobe CC is on my Macs, not on some remote server.
Phoning home, which nearly every app does (updates, verification, e.g.)
is not the same as web-based.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old October 22nd 17, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

PeterN:
BTW & way OT, I just got an invitation to test drive a Volvo. From what
I have been hearing, it's a well made car.

Volvo? The Chinese brand owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group? Yeah,
I've heard they're pretty good cars, too. Owned one back when Volvo was
a Swedish company. Liked it quite a bit.

Old October 22nd 17, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 22, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 10/22/2017 2:43 AM, android wrote:
There's two versions of Lightroom now: The web based CC and the client
based Classic CC. In other areas Classic usually mean that this is
product is on the way out. The latest Volvo 240, the most classic Volvo
series ever second as symbol for the make only to the P1800 was called
just that and not Dl, GlT or something...

Can you adapt and put your entire workflow in the Cloud? Would you pay
extra for an "Enterprise" version that you would be allowed to host
Adobe products locally? How would you react to a cloud based Photoshop
editor proper?

That possibility is exactly why I am experimenting with other stand
alone editing apps. If that happens, at this point any positive
statement either way is speculative, I want to keep my options open.

That has been my plan, hence my use of On1, Luminar, Affinity Photo, and
AlienSkin Exposure X3, talking of which AlienSkin has a bundle including
their Snap Art, and Blow Up apps, which might interest you.

https://www.alienskin.com/exposure/
https://www.alienskin.com/snapart/
https://www.alienskin.com/blowup/
https://www.alienskin.com/blog/2017/exposures-clear-future/

BTW & way OT, I just got an invitation to test drive a Volvo. From what
I have been hearing, it's a well made car.

Have fun.

Savageduck

Old October 22nd 17, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 22, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

Savageduck:
Also consider that all of the Creative Cloud Apps are considered web based,
including Photoshop CC 2018.

Utter nonsense. Adobe CC is on my Macs, not on some remote server.
Phoning home, which nearly every app does (updates, verification, e.g.)
is not the same as web-based.

Talk it over with Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog.html?types=pf_252Fweb

Savageduck

Old October 22nd 17, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article , Davoud
wrote:

PeterN:
BTW & way OT, I just got an invitation to test drive a Volvo. From what
I have been hearing, it's a well made car.

Volvo? The Chinese brand owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group? Yeah,
I've heard they're pretty good cars, too. Owned one back when Volvo was
a Swedish company. Liked it quite a bit.

To get things right: Volvo Cars is a Swedish registered car manufacturer
privately held by a the above mentioned Chinese group. HQ and seat is
still Gothenburg, Sweden. I preferred SAAB myself... Never had one of
those either... My fave was the Citroen CX that I briefly owned in the
90-ties. It was a spaceship! :-))

There is another Volvo that makes trucks and busses and that beside the
company name also own brands like DAF, Renault and White.
--
teleportation kills
Old October 22nd 17, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| But
| it always boils down to the same thing: You can't
| access it unless it's downloaded, so it's always local.
|
| given that definition, to hear a song on the radio, it must be stored
| in the radio. to watch a tv show, it must be stored in the tv.

They're very different things. TV and radio are
signals received over the air, or through a cable
in some cases. The device interprets the signals
in real time, converting them to audio and/or
video.

just like the internet.

The Internet doesn't work that way.

yes it most certainly does work that way.

streaming audio and/or video over the internet sends signals (packets
of data) in real time through a cable (broadband or dial-up) or over
the air (cellular or wifi), which are then converted to audio, video
and/or any other relevant formats by the computer/phone/set top
box/other the user is using.

the specific format might be different, but the concept is the same.

this is particularly true for digital tv, which sends data packets over
the air (versus old style analog modulation).

You
download binary files.

not always.

i'm watching a live stream right now, no files are being downloaded.

When you go to a webpage
your browser sends a message to a server to ask
for the HTML. The server sends that file. From the
HTML file, the browser finds what else it needs to
make the page: CSS files, images, script files, etc.
From all that it assembles a visual layout in the
browser window. (Try saving a webpage and see
what you get.)

not everything is a web page.

it's also trivial to save a webpage if the user is so inclined.

the html could even be 'compiled'

Similarly with video or audio. Youtube videos *seem*
to be broadcast, but if you have the right browser
extension you can just download the video as a file
without ever loading it in a webpage.

if you have the right 'tv extension', aka a vcr or dvr, you can
'download' the tv show to tape or disk.

or go ghetto and point a camera at the tv screen.

however, that misses the point in that the data is streamed to the user.

You can do
that because that's all it ever was. You've been tricked,
very systematically, into thinking you're receiving a
broadcast.

there is no trick.

The idea of web-based software is the same. There's
no communication of anything like radio waves between
your computer and the so-called web-based software.

if it's being used on a smartphone or laptop w/wifi, it's using radio
waves.

It runs on your computer. In cases where something is
server-side, like a photo site that resizes your images,
they may have software to resize on their end.

resizing would be done locally.

you haven't a clue about this stuff.

But the
whole thing still works the same way: You upload a
binary file, like a JPG. They resize it and send you back
a binary file. Your browser then displays that file in the
browser window.

no, it doesn't work that way. resizing is done locally.

there are exceptions where something might require substantially more
compute power than you have locally, but that's very unusual.

Or the process might use script in the
browser to do it on your side. You're never directly
interacting with the website server. It's only short
messages that allow exchange of digital files back and
forth.

nope. it doesn't work that way.

That's why Adobe and others need to cripple your
system.

the only thing that's crippled is your brain.

it doesn't work the way you describe nor does adobe or others cripple
anyone's system.

quite the opposite actually.

adobe and others empower users to do things they otherwise could not
have done any other way, the very *opposite* of crippling.

Youtube obfuscates the MP4 file path in
order to make you think you're viewing a broadcast.

no it doesn't.

Adobe cripples the software and designs their
presentation to make you think you're working at
least partially online, and that the online shift is somehow
better or more modern.

nope. the user works *offline*.

the only time anything is crippled is if the user stops paying, for
reasons that should be obvious.

Or at any rate inevitable.
But it's not. It's an awkward process that requires
a great deal of computing power and bandwidth.
This scam is only now technically possible.

there's absolutely nothing awkward about it and the bandwidth is
negligible.

adobe cc apps ping adobe's servers every 30 days or so to check whether
you've stopped paying, likely exchanging under a kilobyte of data.

other than that, the apps work *entirely* offline.

there are features that may use the cloud, such as being able to work
on the same images from a phone, tablet and/or desktop computer, but
that's optional. it's entirely up to the user to use or not use those
features as they see fit.

Since most people don't actually understand the
mechanics of it all, the broadcast paradigm is believed.
That allows them to charge rent or show ads every
time you access the product, whether it's PS or a
Lady Gaga video.

it's shockingly clear that *you* don't understand much of anything, and
what's worse, is you refuse to learn.

| Most people believe they are streaming
| a broadcast when they watch something like a
| Youtube video. They go back again, and watch more
|
| why do you assume everyone is stupid?

Not stupid. Ignorant. Just as you didn't understand,
in your response above, that the Internet is not
broadcast like TV, despite having just read my
explanation.

your explanation is pure ignorance.

a lot of stuff on the internet is broadcast just like tv and may in
fact, *be* actual tv broadcasts. for example, many tv stations have a
link to watch their newscasts streamed live. this is particularly true
during a major event, such as the recent hurricanes and fires.

there are also devices that receive tv/radio (ota or cable) and stream
it over the network, locally or over the world wide internet.

I told you exactly how it works and
you said that must be "bull****" because TV shows
are not stored in the TV. The end product we see
from websites makes the Internet seem like a
broadcast. We talk about visiting websites or surfing
the Web. But it's all just an exchange of files.

no it isn't.

internet streaming is *not* an exchange of files and there's much, much
more than just websites out there.

I post this stuff so that people can make informed
decisions. It happens to be a topic I know about.

based on what you wrote above, you know absolutely nothing about it.

Most people don't. I may not be able to stop the shift
to rental software, but I can at least help to inform
people about it, so that they can make their own
informed decisions. I don't talk about things that
I don't know about. (Hint, hint.

oh yes you do, and you do that very often (as in always).
Old October 22nd 17, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/22/2017 1:59 PM, Davoud wrote:
PeterN:
BTW & way OT, I just got an invitation to test drive a Volvo. From what
I have been hearing, it's a well made car.

Volvo? The Chinese brand owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group? Yeah,
I've heard they're pretty good cars, too. Owned one back when Volvo was
a Swedish company. Liked it quite a bit.

International ownership is not surprising. One of my former clients was
a Swiss company, owned by a German family. It was incorporated in
Switzerland because many of their contracts were required to be
notarized. The notary fees were considerably less expensive in Zug, than
in Germany.

--
PeterN
Old October 22nd 17, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/22/2017 2:08 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 22, 2017, PeterN wrote

snip

BTW & way OT, I just got an invitation to test drive a Volvo. From what
I have been hearing, it's a well made car.

Have fun.

I guess I am coming down in perceived status. Several years ago I was
invited by Lamborghini to the VIP tent at a sports car rally in the
Hamptons, and the local Bentley dealer invited me to a wine and cheese
party. Since I had no interest in purchasing either of those cars I
didn't go to either one. Volvo is more in my price range, so I will take
the test drive.

--
PeterN