Luminar for Windows

Old October 21st 17, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Luminar for Windows

On 10/20/2017 11:07 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 01:44:18 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

For those with a few more demands of their photo editing software, it serves
very well as a LR/PS plugin. Considering that the NIK Collection is doomed,
Luminar is a worthy successor.

I just updated my CC products. Adobe's Photoshop CC 2018 replaced the
previous version, and dropped NIK as a plug-in. I re-installed NIK
and it's now back in the FILTER drop-down.

I wonder about the "doomed" prediction. I know it will no longer be
supported or upgraded, but all that really means is that it won't be
available to use if the OS changes and the current download would not
be accepted. All current versions of all software are doomed.

I'm not sure what is going on with Adobe. My CC 2018 does not include
some of the features they've been banging on about. No pen curve
tool, no additional brushes. CC 2018 seems exactly the same as the
version it replaced except for little pop-ups describing tools.

Perhaps they are staggering the additions into future updates for some
of us. It's not of concern to me as I've never been a big user of the
pen tool.

Which release do you have?
My release is 19.0 and I have the pen tools. So far My only issue is the
selection masking and focus selection.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/drawing-pen-tools.html

--
PeterN
Old October 21st 17, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/20/2017 9:27 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.0 20170929.r.165 2017/09/29: 1138933 x64

I have the pen tool, but the Curvature Pen Tool is not in the list.

Strange. I have both the curve pen tool and a creative curve pen tool.
The latter is in, what I call, the miscellaneous tool tab, just above
the color selection boxes.

I haven't worked with Select and Mask, but I just tried it. The
response is slow, but it works fine.

Try doing a rough selection inside the object, then go to select and
mask. Is the refine edge tool doing its job? In my version I get a
program error message, and the select & mask screen closes when I click
OK. I was going to call Adobe about this, but I didn't get around to it.
I will do so after the weekend.

I've never worked with Focus Selection, so I wouldn't know what to
expect.

--
PeterN
Old October 21st 17, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 20, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

Take a look at this. That should give you what you were looking for.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2397488

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dg0ahdxgxv1fx7m/screenshot_193.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9zw4u2fsfoen3h/screenshot_194.png

I haven't worked with Select and Mask, but I just tried it. The
response is slow, but it works fine.

Check your preferences for both Photoshop CC 2018 and Lightroom Classic CC to
make sure the GPU is enabled. I found that Lightroom Classic CC turned it off
with the default installation.

I've never worked with Focus Selection, so I wouldn't know what to
expect.

Savageduck

Old October 21st 17, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 20, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

wrote:

[...]

Also
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/ho...ves-curvature-
tool.html

Old October 21st 17, 07:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 20, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

That's what I saw, but the Curvature Pen Tool is not there. It's down
with Art Board tool, slice, and some other tools.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dg0ahdxgxv1fx7m/screenshot_193.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9zw4u2fsfoen3h/screenshot_194.png

See those three dots at the bottom under the magnifying glass? That's
where the Curvature Pen is, but opening that first shows the Art Board
Tool.

Not quite.

The three dots is the repository for *Extra Tools* or Hidden Tools. Right
Click on that, and at the top of the list select *Edit Toolbar*. Now you
should see the *Customize Toolbar* as in the screenshot 193.png above. Scroll
down the column on the left until you get the Pen Tool panel. If the
Curvature Pen Tool is missing it should be in the *Extra Tools* right column.
Locate it and drag it to the Pen Tool panel on the left. Click on Done, or
save a preset, and all should be ready for you.

Once you have selected the Pen Tool and have set the first anchor point,
double click on the anchor point, and the Curve Pen Tool will be activated.

Note that all the hidden tool are still accessible via keyboard shortcuts.

Savageduck

Old October 21st 17, 07:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

The Art Board Tool should be in the Move Tool group. In the Edit Toolbar pane
it should be on the top of the Left column.

Not quite.

The three dots is the repository for *Extra Tools* or Hidden Tools. Right
Click on that, and at the top of the list select *Edit Toolbar*. Now you
should see the *Customize Toolbar* as in the screenshot 193.png above. Scroll
down the column on the left until you get the Pen Tool panel. If the
Curvature Pen Tool is missing it should be in the *Extra Tools* right column.
Locate it and drag it to the Pen Tool panel on the left. Click on Done, or
save a preset, and all should be ready for you.

Once you have selected the Pen Tool and have set the first anchor point,
double click on the anchor point, and the Curve Pen Tool will be activated.

....or right click on the Pen Tool group icon in the Toolbar and select the
Curve Pen Tool and it will be active without any double clicking. However,
you can use the cliuck to toggle between Curve Pen Tool and Pen Tool.

Old October 21st 17, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 21, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

What I posted was that the Curvature Pen wasn't included in my
upgrade. That mistake on my part was based on the fact that it is not
in the Pen drop-down of choices. That it is in that group is the way
your shot showed and where I would expect it to be.

Well it does get there after resetting the Workspaces to default and checking
the Customize Toolbar option.

Now that I know it is there, but located in a place that I didn't
expect it to be, I have no trouble going forward.

Kinda surprising to me that Adobe didn't put it in the Pen drop-down
considering that they've presented this tool as a major advancement
for those using the Pen tools for selections.

No big deal, though.

OK.

I've never been a big user of the Pen tool to make selections despite
the fact that most people say it is the best way to make a good
selection. I use other techniques.

Me too. The Pen Tool was never one of my most used tools, and I really
haven’t in any realistic way mastered it. However, I like to know what is
available, and how to use various tools. One never knows when the need
arrives.

I'll wait until some tutorial videos come out and give this tool some
more attention. Nothing urgent about my need.

Julieanne Kost has a video out, but I always look to her stuff for the,
“Oh! so that is how it is done” moment.

Here she covers much of the new stuff. Scroll down to the Curvature Pen Tool
video.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/tag/the-curvature-pen-tool

Savageduck

Old October 22nd 17, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

She does have some good information. I want a selection of hair where
there is where the contrast between the hair and the background is very
low, even after greatly increasing contrast for selection purposes. I
Adobe can't do it. I tried Topaz Remask without success. I had no
problem doing a similar selection using an earlier version of Remask. I
contacted Topaz support and asked if they had any documentation on how
to handle my problem. The support person never gave me an answer. I can
accept a negative answer, but do not accept a total lack of response. I
have a friend who has some contacts at Topaz, who has agreed to help. It
is admittedly a difficult selection. and if it can't be done, Topaz
should at least have the courtesy to say so.

--
PeterN