CNet Reviews FZ7 vs Canon S3

Old May 5th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default CNet Reviews FZ7 vs Canon S3

I have just read reviews on Cnet where the Panasonic FZ7 was rated at
7.2 and the Canon S3 was rated much higher at 7.7.

Based (I have not seen the S3) on my observation of the Canon S2 and the
Panasonic FZ5, I found that the Canon focused much slower and other than
the movies and the swivel screen did not provide any advantages. As a
matter of fact I preferred the FZ5 and now am planning to purchase an
FZ7 summer time.

I am curious as to why Cnet rated the Canon much higher. Any comments?
Old May 5th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

measekite wrote:
I have just read reviews on Cnet where the Panasonic FZ7 was rated at
7.2 and the Canon S3 was rated much higher at 7.7.

Based (I have not seen the S3) on my observation of the Canon S2 and
the Panasonic FZ5, I found that the Canon focused much slower and
other than the movies and the swivel screen did not provide any
advantages. As a matter of fact I preferred the FZ5 and now am
planning to purchase an FZ7 summer time.

I am curious as to why Cnet rated the Canon much higher. Any
comments?

Well, apart from the obvious answer (about advertising revenues), reviews
have a subjective component so it's not surprising that someone else's
conclusions may differ from yours. There may also be an unconscious bias
that Canon is a "camera" company and Panasonic a "consumer electronics"
company.

When I compared the Canon S2 and the Panasonic FZ5 in my hands, I had no
doubt which one I preferred (the Panasonic) and it turns out to produce
better images as well. I have been delighted with the camera. Try to get
the chance to compare the handling in the shop - it's an important
factor - as (for some people) might be the swivel viewfinder of the Canon.

Cheers,
David

Old May 6th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Based on images I've seen, the Canon has lower noise and produces very nice
images. The Panny's images are nice, as well, but have higher noise. Also,
the Canon has one very nice feature in movie mode: the ability to zoom
during filming movies. Nice touch.

Old May 6th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

David J Taylor skrev:

There may also be an unconscious bias
that Canon is a "camera" company and Panasonic a "consumer electronics"
company.

This bias can be very strong and conscious among some photo
professionals. I actually have experienced a Swedish photo dealer who
rudely showed me out of his shop and told me that he didn't want
customers who were aggressive when I very politely asked him why he
didn't sell Panasonic cameras when thay had got every TIPA award for
best superzoom that ever was awarded.

Jan Böhme

Old May 6th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Jan Böhme wrote:
David J Taylor skrev:

There may also be an unconscious bias
that Canon is a "camera" company and Panasonic a "consumer
electronics" company.

This bias can be very strong and conscious among some photo
professionals. I actually have experienced a Swedish photo dealer who
rudely showed me out of his shop and told me that he didn't want
customers who were aggressive when I very politely asked him why he
didn't sell Panasonic cameras when thay had got every TIPA award for
best superzoom that ever was awarded.

Jan Böhme

... and the answer to your question "why" was? Perhaps too little profit!

Cheers,
David

Old May 6th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

David J Taylor skrev:

Jan Böhme wrote:

I actually have experienced a Swedish photo dealer who
rudely showed me out of his shop and told me that he didn't want
customers who were aggressive when I very politely asked him why he
didn't sell Panasonic cameras when thay had got every TIPA award for
best superzoom that ever was awarded.

.. and the answer to your question "why" was? Perhaps too little profit!

If he had told me so, I would have accepted it as rational. As it was,
I got the clear impression that he didn't want those stinking cameras
in his reputable shop, and that he much prefered to lose those
customers who insisted of bringing up this unsavoury subject,

Well, he had his way.

Jan Böhme

Old May 6th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Jan Böhme wrote:

David J Taylor skrev:

There may also be an unconscious bias
that Canon is a "camera" company and Panasonic a "consumer electronics"
company.

This bias can be very strong and conscious among some photo
professionals.

I am not a professional but did have a strong bias to overcome favoring
Canon and even a stronger bias favoring Nikon. The bias favoring Nikon
needs to be overcome when it comes time for a DSLR since I am interested
in Canon.

One of the things that I do not like about any of the DSLR cameras today
is the inability to get dust off of the sensor which I understand is
unavoidable.

Old May 7th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Don't knopw about S3. My son has a Panasonic FZ20 and My daughter has a
Canon 610. Althogh Canon 610 is my favorite digital P&S, FZ20 has
clear strength in the color fidelity and the noise when compared with
canon A610.

I was surprised when I found out that, because Canon has a larger
sensor (1/1,8 vs. 1/2.5).