taking wedding pic, help

Old August 18th 04, 07:41 PM
Marisa

Default taking wedding pic, help

Hello,

I'm going to take wedding pictures in a few months and I've only done
two other really small weddings. I'm lookin for any advice as to how
to best use my equipment, what type of film, filters, etc..and any
techniques/advice you can give me for taking wedding pictures- indoor
and outdoor. I will be using a Nikon N80 SLR camera and have a Nikon
lens 28-80mm as well as a Quantaray lens 100-300mm. I also have a
promaster FTD 7000M flash, which I'm not too familiar with. Any
suggestions for the best results would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks,

Marisa
Old August 18th 04, 07:52 PM
PLB49

A quick search on Amazon books section turned up several books with a 5-star
customer rating, such as

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=1092854930/sr
=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0304017-1177759?v=glance&s=books

On the other hand, I decline to shoot weddings!

Best wishes
Paul B.

Old August 19th 04, 02:58 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Marisa
wrote:

I'm going to take wedding pictures in a few months and I've only done
two other really small weddings. I'm lookin for any advice as to how
to best use my equipment, what type of film, filters, etc..and any
techniques/advice you can give me for taking wedding pictures- indoor
and outdoor. I will be using a Nikon N80 SLR camera and have a Nikon
lens 28-80mm as well as a Quantaray lens 100-300mm. I also have a
promaster FTD 7000M flash, which I'm not too familiar with. Any
suggestions for the best results would be greatly appreciated...

You're asking questions that you shouldn't be asking for this type of
job.

Old August 19th 04, 04:37 PM
Marisa

Randall Ainsworth wrote in message . ..
In article , Marisa
wrote:

I'm going to take wedding pictures in a few months and I've only done
two other really small weddings. I'm lookin for any advice as to how
to best use my equipment, what type of film, filters, etc..and any
techniques/advice you can give me for taking wedding pictures- indoor
and outdoor. I will be using a Nikon N80 SLR camera and have a Nikon
lens 28-80mm as well as a Quantaray lens 100-300mm. I also have a
promaster FTD 7000M flash, which I'm not too familiar with. Any
suggestions for the best results would be greatly appreciated...

You're asking questions that you shouldn't be asking for this type of
job.

It's not my day job or anything , just something i'm going to do as a favor.

Old August 19th 04, 05:38 PM
Marisa

wrote:

I'm going to take wedding pictures in a few months and I've only done
two other really small weddings. I'm lookin for any advice as to how
to best use my equipment, what type of film, filters, etc..and any
techniques/advice you can give me for taking wedding pictures- indoor
and outdoor. I will be using a Nikon N80 SLR camera and have a Nikon
lens 28-80mm as well as a Quantaray lens 100-300mm. I also have a
promaster FTD 7000M flash, which I'm not too familiar with. Any
suggestions for the best results would be greatly appreciated...

You're asking questions that you shouldn't be asking for this type of
job.

So anyone else have any suggestions that are helpful?

Old August 19th 04, 08:49 PM
Whatevah

wrote:

I'm going to take wedding pictures in a few months and I've only done
two other really small weddings. I'm lookin for any advice as to how
to best use my equipment, what type of film, filters, etc..and any
techniques/advice you can give me for taking wedding pictures- indoor
and outdoor. I will be using a Nikon N80 SLR camera and have a Nikon
lens 28-80mm as well as a Quantaray lens 100-300mm. I also have a
promaster FTD 7000M flash, which I'm not too familiar with. Any
suggestions for the best results would be greatly appreciated...

You're asking questions that you shouldn't be asking for this type of
job.

So anyone else have any suggestions that are helpful?

Are you the primary photographer? If you are, make up a list of
specific shots you want to get. There is a sample list at
http://www.weddingtips.com/the-list-photo.html which may help you. Be
sure to talk to the Bride and Groom to see what photos they would like.

The shots you need will determine which lens you use. Although, I'd use
a 28-105mm as the primary, with your 100-300mm for a few specialty focus
shots. For most shots, I'd suggest using Aperture Priority to keep the
DOF small to reduce annoying background elements.

The lighting will determine what film and filters you use, and if you
use the flash. I'd prefer not using the flash, as is can be a little
distracting. You won't see the flash because of the mirror blackout,
but everybody else does. If you do elect to use the flash, a diffuser
is highly recommended.

Time will be your enemy during the wedding, especially when you need to
reload the film or change lenses. Keep a few rolls with you, and the
rest easily accessible in your bag (wherever you put it). If you have
another camera body, that will be a big help.

Study up on group poses, and scout out locations around the wedding or
reception sites when you arrive for a good location for the posed
portraits. Talk to the B&G before the wedding to see when they want to
do the group portraits, most prefer right after the ceremony before the
reception.

For indoor weddings, work with the B&G and the staff of the
building/church to see what lights will be used. Some locations may
have stage lighting or spotlights. Used carefully, these can be
helpful. If you use your flash, is it powerful enough to bounce off the
ceiling or walls? If so, what color paint is used, as it will affect
the color of the bounced light.

For outdoor weddings, will the wedding be under any shade? Direct
sunlight will produce hard, un-appealing shadows. Fill-flash would be
the easiest way to solve this, although shade would be preferable. A
gazebo usually makes the nicest location for outdoor shade. If you're
lucky, the outdoor weddings will be partly cloudy, giving plenty of soft
light, without hard shadows. For the posed shots, you can use a
reflector, but you won't be able to use a reflector for the majority of
the shots.

There are a lot of tips on the internet for wedding photography, just
search on your favorite search engine.

Finally, a word of warning: Wedding photography is tricky and emotional.
If you mess it up, that's what will be remembered: that you messed up
their wedding memories. However, if you can do a good job, they will be
forever grateful. That's what Randall was trying to tell you.

--
Whatevah / Jerry Horn
Jerry {at} Whatevah.com (working address)