How to start into wedding photography ?

Old November 4th 03, 12:55 AM

Default How to start into wedding photography ?

Was reading some posts here... hope I'm ok with my question.

Am very interested in starting into Wedding Photography. Extra income
I guess being the main motivation... second to taking pictures.
(second only because "People" have never been my thing, am much more
into scenics,
anyway...

If I wanted to get started... Things I know I need are this...
-Medium format camera (2 probably)
-Serious flash equipment
-Color darkroom equip

With technology being so affordable these days... my questions are...

1) Do wedding photographers (for the most part) still just use film
and developing... or are they using digital technology?
(cameras/expensive printers)

2) Is digital technology near the same quality as print film ?

3) Of any of you that have done wedding photography, would love to
know how you broke into the field... even if sent via email.

I'm a 35mm novice and I know it's going to be a big expense either
way.
Thank you all for reading and I look forward to some good advice.
Old November 5th 03, 01:43 AM
PLB49

Don't.

An old friend did, and it consumed him--

he's making buck$, but going crazy over the mothers of the brides--

he used to be an artist, now isn't

didn't even have time to chat, last time we met (and I got him started in
photography)

Old November 5th 03, 02:51 AM
Al Denelsbeck

wrote in
om:

[...]

Okay, you have enough naysayers responding. Now another view... ;-)

I started this as supplemental income due to less-than-lovely
employment. Like you, I wasn't a 'people-person', and my specialty was (and
still is) nature/wildlife.

I started by working with a few established photographers in the
area, which is how I'd recommend approaching it. I would *not* tell them
you're planning on going into business on your own - you probably won't be
met with delight, since it's a competitive field. But this gives you a
chance to see it all firsthand, get some pointers from the experienced
ones, and not have the pressure of ultimate responsibility. Working with as
many as you can will give you a better understanding. Photographers are
individuals, and all have their own way of doing things. This does not mean
it's the only way, or the 'right' way.

Medium-format is a serious question. Some photogs insist on it. I've
worked with enough to know it isn't necessary - there isn't much demand for
16x20 enlargments anymore, but it can depend on the area too. Popular right
now is photojournalism, and for that you want a lightweight rig and
autofocus. Also popular is B&W work (these go hand-in-hand, funny how that
works), but in my experience, not a lot of photogs know how to handle it.
It's a good thing to get experience in. And candids at the reception are
always wanted, so you need to be able to move quick with whatever you use.

I'd emphasize being able to control light, for numerous situations.
I've seen it done with a single on-camera flash, and don't recommend it
(though Canon's E-TTL flashes bring a serious edge to this, and Nikon's
version probably does as well). At the least a flash bracket, but be
warned, the height can cause loss of light in two situatons: going in close
for detail shots, and when using a 28mm or shorter focal length vertically
(because the flash head is still horizontal, and designed for wide
coverage).

Moreover, you will likely want to invest in separate lights as well,
but get some experience first in knowing what and how. Radio transmitters
are a damn sight more dependable than optical slaves, and run into no
interference from other cameras. They can, however, get false signals from
aircraft radios (the fun of shooting in an NCO club next to the airbase).

Digital? No one that I know, yet, but I'm sure some are. Getting the
big enlargements will require one of the expensive cameras, but I have
seen 16x20s from high-end digital, and the quality is there as long as
you're meticulous about sharp pics when you take them. And you're right,
backups are a necessity, so that means two. The serious downfall - because
of the typical 'multiplier', you don't reap the full benefit of wide-angle
lenses, which are a mainstay of wedding work. It usually takes a 15mm lens
to get the 28mm perspective of film, and chances are, you'll want to go
even wider than that.

Another thing to remember with digital is that, *you* end up doing
all the post-production work. You don't hand the film to a lab and get back
prints, you sit down at the computer, download, pick through, print, reload
printer, beat on printer, burn discs, and so on. Cheaper? Perhaps. How much
time do you have and what is it worth?

Color lab equipment? That's entirely another field, and one with its
own distinct learning curve. I haven't met one photog that does their own
developing or printing (except a portrait guy doing strictly digital), and
I don't expect to. I would, sternly, recommend staying away. Finding a good
lab that does what you want is good enough, and in fact very important.

People skills are important, but I picked them up no problem, and
typically did much better than the guys I was working with. Remember to be
upbeat, lighthearted, and relaxed, because this infects the party. So will
being irritable. Don't patronize, it just makes people annoyed. Always
remain in control of the situation, and exude confidence. And here's the
fun part - everyone assumes you're an old hand at this, so they generally
cooperate with everything. There are always exceptions, of course, but my
experience hasn't been half as bad as anyone warned me of. Be assertive -
your time is valuable, and guests won't be thinking of this, plus they'll
wander off immediately before you need them every time. Can you raise your
voice above a roomful of people easily? You'll need to. But also, be
cooperative and flexible. Remember that most of your business will come
from referrals from these very guests.

Mother of the bride? You bet. And she's under all sorts of stress
herself. That said, you have the opportunity to be her best friend too -
it's all in how you handle her and yourself. There will be problems. Expect
them, and be prepared. Some people are never happy, and some will even try
to scam you or frighten you into price breaks and all that. Firm specific
contract, and *only* the person footing the bill tells you what to do,
including overtime and extra shots.

[Little tip: I've had MOTB's eating out of my hands when I pointed
out that it wasn't the perfect weddings that got remembered and talked
about, it was the ones where something went wrong. Tell them they need to
relax and roll with the problems, no matter what - the stories are much
better. You'd be amazed how much this relaxes them.]

What else? It's not just photography, it's a business, and requires
salesmanship. This is just as important as shooting, and you'll spend a lot
more of your time doing it. Can you take calls anytime during the day, set
up meetings, run to the lab, and so on? If not, work as a stringer and rent
yourself to other photogs in the area (as I do), because your business will
never fly without it.

And finally, the biggest stumbling block of small businesses: You
need to know how to run one, how to do bookkeeping, how to do costing, and
so on. Moreover, weddings take a tremendous amount of startup capital. You
will be booking months in advance, getting a small deposit at that time.
Then you go out-of-pocket on equipment, film, processing, and sundries
(albums, batteries, whatever). Then, you wait six months or so with the
completed work in your hands because the photographer is the last to be
paid. And yes, for two photographers I know, the couple got *divorced*
before the pics were picked up. Try and collect on that one.

Now, as a photography novice, expect to spend some time learning the
ropes before you're off on your own - one lawsuit will put an end to things
quick, so you want to be *sure* you can handle everything and produce
lovely work. Can you instantly frame in the viewfinder for an 8x10
composition? Lots cheaper than cropping and better overall quality. The
reception hall has crappy fluorescents - how do you avoid a color cast? The
church does not allow flash during the ceremony and the bride's mother
insists on these shots (happens quite a lot) - can you get them?

Alright, now that you're scared senseless, realize that a couple
thousand people do this every weekend. All it takes is being ready for it.
Just know what you're getting into first.

Check out the pointers at
http://www.aljacobs.com/ - an excellent
take on the subject. And he also offers some great ways to save money on
equipment, always a plus.

Good luck!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old November 5th 03, 03:42 PM
Michael Scarpitti

wrote in message . com...
Was reading some posts here... hope I'm ok with my question.

Am very interested in starting into Wedding Photography.

Don't walk, run away from this idea......
Old November 6th 03, 07:00 AM
zeitgeist

Am very interested in starting into Wedding Photography. Extra income
I guess being the main motivation... second to taking pictures.
(second only because "People" have never been my thing, am much more
into scenics,
anyway...

wedding photography *IS* people, worse, its people who are distracted by
everything going on. The sucesses in wedding photography are not primarily
great photographers, they are nice people who know how to charm others, to
relax them, to motivate them.

With technology being so affordable these days... my questions are...

1) Do wedding photographers (for the most part) still just use film
and developing... or are they using digital technology?
(cameras/expensive printers)

Its all going digital these days.

2) Is digital technology near the same quality as print film ?

Digital is a different quality than film, while it does have its problems,
it has many advantages and right now I'd say that most typical cameras are
better than 35mm even if that's MHO, and will soon rival medium format.

3) Of any of you that have done wedding photography, would love to
know how you broke into the field... even if sent via email.

I always enjoyed photography, but the kid sitting next to me used to brag
about all the money he made as a wedding photog (he turned out to be a
pathological liar, but thats a long story) and so for my 15th birthday i
asked for a real camera, my best friend's older brother was getting married
the following week so my second roll of film was my first.

If I wanted to get started... Things I know I need are this...
-Medium format camera (2 probably)
-Serious flash equipment
-Color darkroom equip

even two years ago I would have agreed about the first two. MF camera, a
couple lenses and a back up.
Serious flash? maybe, I've posted often enough about key/fill slave
lighting.

but, color darkroom? on what planet? Even folks who work in mini labs will
tell you what a job it is to print a whole wedding. You sure ain't going to
do it with a home darkroom set up, not with the modern trend of shooting
hundreds if not thousands of images. even back when a hundred shots was a
lot folks learned that it was much cheaper to send it to a pro lab. all
that gear is a lot of capital just sitting around for the `12 - 25 weddings
a typical photog would shoot in a year?

even now with everything digital it doesn't make that much sense to me to
print your self, labs print to photo paper, not ink jets, an 8x10 is two
bucks for a straight print. I figure an epson print would cost about a buck
and change for ink and paper, but I sit and listen to stories about this and
that going wrong, bad, cleaning cycles, yadda yadda, a lot of wastage, and
those desktop units are not 'commercial' engines, they break, clog whatever.
I"m on my third, so far my cost per print in printers is over a buck each.

If were starting out, I wouldn't consider film. used to be clients were shy
of digital, thinking of early digicams but now its a feature.

but, start with what you know and what you have. advance one step at a
time, don't try to learn everything and do everything at your first wedding.

join you local pro association, take a workshop, see if you can assist
another, heck see if you can work for another for a year or so.

Old November 7th 03, 02:27 AM
Michael Scarpitti

Check out the article on this subject at www.jamesphotography.ca

Hack work.