Photo Classes or NOT?

Old May 24th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Markus T.

Default Photo Classes or NOT?

On Sun, 18 May 2008 16:41:19 -0700 (PDT), RoushStudios
wrote:

Should I take Photography Classes?
This is a question I see on all the major sites in the "question &
answer" areas. Oh Yahoo questions there are always nurmerous posts
about this topic. Well, here's my take on it...and even though I'm an
instructor (http://www.roushphotoonline.com) I'll try to give an
unbiased opinion.
Through the years I've taught students at many different skill levels,
lots of amatuers and a fair amount of "wanna be pros". The thing that
is common among all of them is the their lack of the right knowledge.
It's not that they can't expose properly, it's not that they can't
operate the camera. Knowing how to use all the components that are
available to us and knowing how to apply them to different shooting
situations, different lighting environments, and effectively
delivering a message in a visual format is where the "lack of
knowledge" becomes evident. Most studentes look at a pro photographers
photos and say "I want to do that!". Well, to DO "that" it takes a
very complete understanding of lens choice, speed choice, Depth of
Field choice, and then be able put this together in a properly and
powerfully composed visual layout and design that impacts the viewer.
That's where most photographs fail. When I critique portfolios, and I
critique hundreds, it's always the same ... the same reasons and
similar problems in the execution of the photographs.
So, yes, photography classes will enlighten you to things you might
not know, or not know you need to do. Might also bring thing to the
mind to think about when doing photography.
Jeff Roush / photography instructor
http://www.roushphotoonline.com

"If I had read as many (photography) books as other men, I would have been as
ignorant as they are." - Thomas Hobbes

( ) = my edit

Old May 24th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Markus T. wrote:

"If I had read as many (photography) books as other men, I would have been as
ignorant as they are." - Thomas Hobbes

( ) = my edit

True, but there are two books you need: "Photoshop for Dummies"
and "The COMPLETE Deep Dark Tricks of Photoshop".

I still need to find a copy of the latter. :-)

Doug McDonald