Leica M8 - is the lens mount THAT expensive?

Old September 20th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

Default Leica M8 - is the lens mount THAT expensive?

"Rich" wrote in message
ups.com...

Kinon O'Cann wrote:
This question has been asked many, many times, and long before the first
digital camera was produced. Leica builds a premium quality camera for a
small but dedicated group of shooters. The materials used and quality of
construction is absolutely unmatched. Simply put, Leicas aren't for
everyone. In the end, the decision is simple: it's up to you whether or
not
it's worth the money. Best lenses on the planet, too.

At about 650 grams, it costs $352 per oz. 1 oz of silver costs $12.00.
So, it costs less to mine and process and refine the equivalent amount
of silver
out of 29 tons of rock than the Leica is worth. The Leica, by weight
is about
1/2 the price of gold. Then again, something NASA might send into
orbit that size
might cost a few million $'s. A 16 meg medical grade CCD (if they
exist) would probably cost about $100,000. It's all relative.

Sure, and it's all about perceived value. A lump of silver or gold can't do
anything but sit there. The Leica serves a purpose by producing images.
Lumps of metal, by themselves, are useless (mostly). And, as you said, how
much was the 1MP digital camera that went to Mars? Probably even more than
the 10MP M8...

Old September 20th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
jeremy

"Rich" wrote in message
ups.com...

Kinon O'Cann wrote:
[...]

There comes a point where the cost of the equipment is too high to justify
actually *using it.*

Even Erwin Puts has recently acknowledged that photographers, except for a
small band of dedicated ones, long ago abandoned the precision rangefinder
in favor of Japanese SLRs.

I've read about several informal "blind" tests where the participants were
unable to determine which camera took which photograph. Bob Monaghan did
one such test. So how much is Leica's legendary (or should I say,
"mythical") margin of superiority worth? Is there any photo taken with
Leica equipment that couldn't have been taken with a Nikon or even a
Minolta?

Old September 20th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Nicholas O. Lindan

jeremy wrote:
I've read about several informal "blind" tests where the participants were
unable to determine which camera took which photograph. ... So how much is
Leica's legendary (or should I say, "mythical") margin of superiority
worth?

[Gag reflex off]
It isn't about the destination but the journey.
[Gag reflex on]

A Leica is just a nice thing to have, it is beautifully
built, nice to hold, makes a nice sound ... but it takes
the same picture.

A Chevy will get you there just as well as a Bentley.
But the Bentley is more fun in ways that have nothing to
do with getting somewhere.

Is there any photo taken with Leica equipment that couldn't have been
taken with a Nikon or even a Minolta?

_Even_ a Minolta ???? Like Nikon's take better

pictures than Minoltas ????

There are very few true dogs in camera land. 99% of the
cameras work better than 99% of the photographers using them.

Oooops, this is an equipment newsgroup. My bad.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Darkroom Automation

Old September 20th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

"jeremy" wrote in message news:LRfQg.26$Kh.1@trnddc05...

There comes a point where the cost of the equipment is too high to justify
actually *using it.*

Even Erwin Puts has recently acknowledged that photographers, except for a
small band of dedicated ones, long ago abandoned the precision rangefinder
in favor of Japanese SLRs.

I've read about several informal "blind" tests where the participants were
unable to determine which camera took which photograph. Bob Monaghan did
one such test. So how much is Leica's legendary (or should I say,
"mythical") margin of superiority worth? Is there any photo taken with
Leica equipment that couldn't have been taken with a Nikon or even a
Minolta?

I've seen lots of tests that compare Leica glass to other stuff, and the
Leica stuff is usually much better. Trust me, I'm not seeing things. On top
of initial image quality you also have to consider how long a lens will
provide that level of quality. Company a 30 year old Leica lens to a 30 year
old Nikon or Canon lens and then draw a conclusion.

Rangefinders aren't for everyone, and that goes double for Leica. But if you
can afford it, they are a real joy to use, and can provide decades of
service.

Old September 20th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

"Chris Loffredo" wrote in message

BTW: You should add a footnote when you paraphrase Ken Rockwell...

Footnote? Hell, anyone who paraphrases Rockwell should be ashamed of
themselves!

Old September 20th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Scott W

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

A Leica is just a nice thing to have, it is beautifully
built, nice to hold, makes a nice sound ... but it takes
the same picture.

A Chevy will get you there just as well as a Bentley.
But the Bentley is more fun in ways that have nothing to
do with getting somewhere.

The problem I see Leica having with this camera is that they are
missing the main selling point of a Leica. In the past many people
considered their cameras the best 35mm cameras available. But it is
the photos you care about and not the journey then there are much
better camera. And how many photographers are going to use a camera
that cost top dollar but does not produce top quality images? Is it
worth that amount of money to many people for the feel and sound of the
shutter (wish they messed up on the M8 anyway)?

Scott

Old September 20th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Max Perl

Leica is good at mechanical work.....but not very good at electronics?....so
hopefully they
have got a partner to design and produce the electronic part of the camera.

Is it possible to find a working R4 today?? .....I guess that most SL2's
still working.

Max

Old September 20th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
jeremy

"Kinon O'Cann" wrote in message

"jeremy" wrote in message

[...]

Depends upon how you factor the "Cost" aspect into the definition of
"Value." You can buy a lot of gear from other manufacturers for the price
of a single Leica item. If you want to throw your money at Leica, that's
fine. You earned it and paid taxes on it.

Some of us--especially those of us that don't earn our livings from
photography--have more mundane concerns, like car and house payments,
retirement savings, college funds, etc., making a Leica purchase somewhat
frivolous.

Old September 20th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
jeremy

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
link.net...
jeremy wrote:
I've read about several informal "blind" tests where the participants
were unable to determine which camera took which photograph. ... So how
much is Leica's legendary (or should I say, "mythical") margin of
superiority worth?

[Gag reflex off]
It isn't about the destination but the journey.
[Gag reflex on]

Spare me the sarcasm. Show me where the images created by Leica are SO
superior to everything else that the average viewer takes one look and
gasps, "Look! That was a Leica photograph!"