DSLR "classes"

Old September 3rd 05, 01:21 AM
RichA

Default DSLR "classes"

The magazines have been comparing cameras in various ways,
but in terms of "class" of camera, how would they rank?

This is my impression as to how this works:
(Models need not be in production here, just readily available in some
form, new or used)

Class 1. Canon 1DS MKII
Canon 1D MKII(N)
Canon 5D
Nikon D2X
Nikon D2Hs
Leica Modular R (Digital)
Olympus E-1
Fuji S3

Class 2. Canon 20D(A)
Nikon D100
Minolta 7D
Sigma SD10

Class 3. Nikon D70(s)
Olympus E-300
Pentax *ist DS

Class 4. Canon Rebel XT
Nikon D50
Minolta 5D
Pentax *ist DL

"Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
never gave us refunds for in the past"
Old September 3rd 05, 01:51 AM
skroob

I agree as well. Though i like that the S3 has to offer, it is not i the sme
class as the Canon 1Ds2 or the D2x

"no one" wrote in message
RichA wrote:

The magazines have been comparing cameras in various ways,
but in terms of "class" of camera, how would they rank?

This is my impression as to how this works:
(Models need not be in production here, just readily available in some
form, new or used)

Class 1. Canon 1DS MKII
Canon 1D MKII(N)
Canon 5D
Nikon D2X
Nikon D2Hs
Leica Modular R (Digital)
Olympus E-1 Fuji S3

Class 2. Canon 20D(A)
Nikon D100
Minolta 7D

Pentax *ist D

Sigma SD10

Class 3. Nikon D70(s)
Olympus E-300
Pentax *ist DS

Class 4. Canon Rebel XT
Nikon D50
Minolta 5D
Pentax *ist DL

Dunno if I agree with all of Class 1.

Old September 3rd 05, 01:54 AM
skroob

the Olympus E-1 either, as it is getting a bit long in the tooth, and at
this point is a sub-$1000 camera.

Old September 3rd 05, 02:41 AM
RichA

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 00:54:00 GMT, "skroob"
wrote:

the Olympus E-1 either, as it is getting a bit long in the tooth, and at
this point is a sub-$1000 camera.

That's true. But it's build quality and other refinements put it in
the pro class. Prices nowadays don't account for all class
differences.
-Rich

.. .

Old September 3rd 05, 04:00 AM
Pix on Canvas

RichA wrote:
[...]

Sorry Rich but you'll have get the 5D out of Class 1 because it's not a
Professional camera, just one for Enthusiasts... Whoever the hell they
are! Looks like it's in the group with Sigma SD 10's.

--
Douglas,
My name is but a handle on the doorway to my life.
Old September 3rd 05, 04:27 AM
Rich

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:00:21 +1000, Pix on Canvas
wrote:

RichA wrote:
[...]

Gee, time was $3500 would put you square into the pro categories, of
SLRs that is.
-Rich
Old September 3rd 05, 04:28 AM
Skip M

"RichA" wrote in message
[...]

I think you need to move the Canon 5D, Oly E-1 and Fuji S-3 into Class 2,
and move the entire population of class 2 into 3, 3 into 4 and create class
5 for the appropriate cameras. The 5D, E-1 and S-3 are not competitors for
the Nikon E2 series and the Canon 1 series. Not sure where the Leica falls,
too expensive for one, and not rugged enough for the other.
The Sigma SD10 needs to be dropped a class, too, not enough res, camera
performance nor ruggedness to be put in the same grouping as the 20D and
Minolta 7D.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old September 3rd 05, 05:40 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , RichA

I wouldn't rate the Sigma that high.
Old September 3rd 05, 06:13 PM
G.T.

"Skip M" wrote in message
"RichA" wrote in message
[...]

And the Rebel XT sure as hell doesn't belong with the D50 or *istDL. Throw
the original Rebel in there.

Greg