Question about Aperture priority and Shutter Priority

Old January 4th 05, 04:20 PM
John Edwards

Default Question about Aperture priority and Shutter Priority

I had been trying to use Aperture / Shutter Priority modes for some
time now. In all my readings online and in books, it is adviced that in
low light situations where we need more light to come into the camera,
use aperture priority. That seems about right.

My question is the following :

1) Say if I am shooting a picutre indoors (inside the house) with the
built in flash of my camera, and say I adjusted the aperture to the
lowest that my camera can go to (which is 2.9), I see that the shutter
speed is automatically adjusted which it should as I am using the
Aperture Priority Mode. The problem with this approach is the shutter
speed is adjusted to say 1/4 or 1/2 sec, which is quite slow and might
mean camera shake / blur if the subject is not really still. Now
consider the same situation, if I used Shutter Priority and adjusted
the shutter speed to 1/60, I can somehow still get 2.9 Aperture. Now
the question is, it looks like shutter priority is better for low light
situations where we want faster shutter speeds and wider apertures, am
I correct in this assumption.. ?

BTW, the camera I am using is a Nikon 4500 Digital Camera.
Regards,
-- John Edwards.

Old January 4th 05, 04:34 PM
Jim

"John Edwards" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had been trying to use Aperture / Shutter Priority modes for some
time now. In all my readings online and in books, it is adviced that in
low light situations where we need more light to come into the camera,
use aperture priority. That seems about right.

Sorry that is not right. While it is correct that you need more light,
there are many ways to accomplish this goal.

My question is the following :

1) Say if I am shooting a picutre indoors (inside the house) with the
built in flash of my camera, and say I adjusted the aperture to the
lowest that my camera can go to (which is 2.9), I see that the shutter
speed is automatically adjusted which it should as I am using the
Aperture Priority Mode. The problem with this approach is the shutter
speed is adjusted to say 1/4 or 1/2 sec, which is quite slow and might
mean camera shake / blur if the subject is not really still. Now
consider the same situation, if I used Shutter Priority and adjusted
the shutter speed to 1/60, I can somehow still get 2.9 Aperture. Now
the question is, it looks like shutter priority is better for low light
situations where we want faster shutter speeds and wider apertures, am
I correct in this assumption.. ?

No, you are very incorrect. The reason the camera chose f2.9 when you set
the shutter speed to 1/60 was that f2.9 is the widest available.
In the prior instance, the camera came much closer to the correct exposure.
You should use flash in such a case.
Jim

Old January 4th 05, 04:52 PM
Dave Cohen

"Jim" wrote in message
om...

[...]

On a canon A95 if you select a shutter speed for which the camera cannot
match a correct aperture, the max aperture displays in red to warn that you
are out of range.
In aperture priority, if flash is not set, a time of 1 sec was indicated. If
flash is set this changes to 1/60 and flash fires. All this requires display
to be on. I would be surprised if other cameras weren't equally helpful, but
if this is not the case it only reinforces my good judgement in selecting a
canon.
Dave Cohen

Old January 4th 05, 05:27 PM
Joseph Meehan

John Edwards wrote:
[...]

Sorry, but no. When you forced the 1/60 second, the camera just did the
best it could with your required 1/60. Based on the camera's meter the
image will be underexposed, or it might have increased the effective ISO
(light sensitivity) setting, which you could have done manually.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old January 4th 05, 07:37 PM
paul

John Edwards wrote:

1) Say if I am shooting a picutre indoors (inside the house) with the
built in flash of my camera, and say I adjusted the aperture to the
lowest that my camera can go to (which is 2.9), I see that the shutter
speed is automatically adjusted which it should as I am using the
Aperture Priority Mode. The problem with this approach is the shutter
speed is adjusted to say 1/4 or 1/2 sec, which is quite slow and might
mean camera shake / blur if the subject is not really still. Now
consider the same situation, if I used Shutter Priority and adjusted
the shutter speed to 1/60, I can somehow still get 2.9 Aperture.

It probably adjusted the ISO for you which is good. I think you are
understanding this correctly, if it's so dark that you are getting
speeds too slow to hand hold then yes, set it on shutter priority so
you're pics don't come out blurred from shake when you don't notice.

I usually use aperture priority when I need a high depth of field & the
light is adequate. Total auto mode for some reason always defaults to
poor depth (small aperture number) which is seldom what I want. Normally
it won't give you a better depth until the speed goes below 1/60.