Finding restaurants

Old January 19th 15, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default Finding restaurants

On 1/19/2015 2:43 PM, PAS wrote:

snip

I loved Ben Benson's Steakhouse in Manhattan. It's sad that the
landlord forced him out and the restaurant closed after decades of
business.

Never been there.

We usually go the the Old Homestead for steak. For seafood I like the
Oyster Bar, in Grand Central Station.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 15, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/19/2015 2:58 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

cuban food in florida is good, and something sandman should have done
rather than to go olive garden or taco bell.

i doubt there are very many cuban restaurants in sweden, if any.

Google is your friend.
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Cuban+Restaurants&find_loc=Stockh olm

2 is not very many and i doubt they're any good anyway.

The words "if any" mean you think there are none.
I admit I don't know how good they are. What is the secret of how you know?

I have had really good Indonesian food in Amsterdam, and good Chinese
food in Lisbon, and Qubec.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 15, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

cuban food in florida is good, and something sandman should have done
rather than to go olive garden or taco bell.

i doubt there are very many cuban restaurants in sweden, if any.

Google is your friend.
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Cuban+Restaurants&find_loc=Stockh olm

2 is not very many and i doubt they're any good anyway.

The words "if any" mean you think there are none.

i didn't think there would be. as usual, you're arguing just to argue.

I admit I don't know how good they are. What is the secret of how you know?

because it's nowhere near cuba. duh.

do you think mexican food in italy is going to be any good?

I have had really good Indonesian food in Amsterdam, and good Chinese
food in Lisbon, and Qubec.

so what? cuban food is a lot less common than chinese.
Old January 19th 15, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-01-19 18:48:35 +0000, PeterN said:

On 1/19/2015 1:24 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 12:54:26 -0500, nospam
wrote:

it's like trying to find new york pizza on the west coast. some places
claim to offer it but they definitely do not. similarly, trying to find
good chicago pizza outside of chicago won't result in much success.

I spent several years living in Chicago and was a regular at Uno's.
(Although I don't order the deep-dish style).

When Uno's opened a location here, I was delighted...until I tried it.
Terrible. It didn't last long.

New Yorkers claim it's the water in the dough in pizza and bagels that
make NY products good, but I'm not sure I buy that.

Well if the flour, yeastand attitude are the same, what's left?

Proportions of the ingredients, and the NYC hand gestures while preparing.

The water only makes a difference in the dough.
IMHO this place made the only bagels I enjoyed in FL.
http://brooklynwaterbagels.com/

I know of several who wanted to ship NY water to FL for bagels, but the
shipment cost was crazy.

If we can have a pipeline for Canadian oil, why not one for NYC water.

Savageduck

Old January 19th 15, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-01-19 18:51:33 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:31:44 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

If I see a "Chinese" restaurant with table clothes and forks on the
table I don't go in.

if you see a chinese restaurant without chinese customers in it, don't
go in.

Not a good rule in this area because there are few Chinese here.

then the chinese food there is probably not all that great.

Probably not at all authentic, but there are some very good Chinese
restaurants in the area. "Authentic" is not necessarily great, and
great is not necessarily authentic.

It is true of the Vietnamese restaurants, though.

or cuban.

Visually, it's hard to tell a crowd of Puerto Ricans from a crowd of
Cubans. The women of both nationalities wouldn't be caught dead in
public not wearing stiletto heels.

The Puerto Ricans wear cotton & a cheaper grade of plated jewelry.

Savageduck

Old January 19th 15, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:32:31 -0500, nospam
wrote:

How can you write:

if you see a chinese restaurant without chinese customers in it,
don't
go in.

And then say:

i'm not talking about the people.

What "chinese customers" are you hoping to see in a restaurant? A
Shar Pei? A panda?

I've got three Shar Peis. I'd be afraid to bring them into a Chinese
restaurant.

Old January 19th 15, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/19/2015 4:03 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

cuban food in florida is good, and something sandman should have done
rather than to go olive garden or taco bell.

i doubt there are very many cuban restaurants in sweden, if any.

Google is your friend.
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Cuban+Restaurants&find_loc=Stockh olm

2 is not very many and i doubt they're any good anyway.

The words "if any" mean you think there are none.

i didn't think there would be. as usual, you're arguing just to argue.

I admit I don't know how good they are. What is the secret of how you know?

because it's nowhere near cuba. duh.

see below.

do you think mexican food in italy is going to be any good?

I have had really good Indonesian food in Amsterdam, and good Chinese
food in Lisbon, and Qubec.

so what? cuban food is a lot less common than chinese.

There are less Cubans than Chinese.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 15, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

It would create jobs.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 15, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

cuban food in florida is good, and something sandman should have done
rather than to go olive garden or taco bell.

i doubt there are very many cuban restaurants in sweden, if any.

Google is your friend.
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Cuban+Restaurants&find_loc=Stockh olm

2 is not very many and i doubt they're any good anyway.

The words "if any" mean you think there are none.
I admit I don't know how good they are. What is the secret of how you know?

I have had really good Indonesian food in Amsterdam, and good Chinese
food in Lisbon, and Qubec.

The Dutch have a tradition of Malay, Surinam and Indonesian cuisine due
to their colonial history since the 1600's. As a result they have quite
a large local population of folks of Malay, Surinam, and Indonesian
descent. When in the Netherlands and you want that type of food, just
look for, or ask for rijstafel. My wife due to spending time in
Singapore as a child, had a fondness for rijstafel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rijsttafel

Savageduck

Old January 19th 15, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-01-19 18:51:33 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:31:44 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

If I see a "Chinese" restaurant with table clothes and forks on the
table I don't go in.

if you see a chinese restaurant without chinese customers in it, don't
go in.

Not a good rule in this area because there are few Chinese here.

then the chinese food there is probably not all that great.

Probably not at all authentic, but there are some very good Chinese
restaurants in the area. "Authentic" is not necessarily great, and
great is not necessarily authentic.

It is true of the Vietnamese restaurants, though.

or cuban.

Visually, it's hard to tell a crowd of Puerto Ricans from a crowd of
Cubans. The women of both nationalities wouldn't be caught dead in
public not wearing stiletto heels.

The Puerto Ricans wear cotton & a cheaper grade of plated jewelry.

Nor do they have as many antique cars.

--
PeterN