Finding restaurants

Old February 4th 15, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

Default Finding restaurants

On 2/2/15 11:30 AM, in article , "PeterN"
wrote:

On 2/2/2015 12:07 PM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 2 February 2015 16:14:21 UTC, peterN wrote:
On 2/2/2015 8:00 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

snip

I remember an engineer at TI took me to lunch in Dallas once. We were
discussing food and I commented that there should be some good Mexican
available in Dallas. He seemed rather horrified that anybody in their
right mind would want to eat Mexican food--Texican was another story. I
don't recall where we went but we had neither.

I went to Dallas once. My daughter was being offered a scholarship to
SMU. I did not think it was a school for her, but had to let her make
that decision. After walking around the campus by herself, she concluded
that it was indeed not the place for her.

Just curious, but what made it not the right place for her.
As we too have visiting students but it's not always clear why the students
make the decisions they do.
Years ago on of the most common reasons was because we didn;'t have a
swimming pool. You'd have thought that'd be a minor cripe for an engineer
course but it appeared not.
Now one of the big plus points is how close we are to central London, can see
the gherkin from outside the building.

SMU is an extremely conservative school. my daughter was a talented
musician and artist, and was a National Merit Scholar. She was far from
conservative. e.g. She had a buzz cut on half her head, and wore combat
boots with designer skirts. She was very much her own person. (She still
is.) BTW she also refused to go for an interview at Cornell, although
they invited her to apply.

Your daughter sounds like a candidate for Berkley. ;-)

As to SMU being "conservative" - I beg to differ. Back in the 60's they were
the FIRST college in the south that was not a "black" school to award an
athletic scholarship to a black student, to the 'horror' of the other area
schools. And he became the school hero to the student body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_LeVias

Old February 4th 15, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Conservative does not mean prejudiced.
She does business with, and works with SMU grads.She tells me they are
really nice people to deal with. But, admits that would not have been
the school for her. Her SUM grad friends agree.

--
PeterN
Old February 5th 15, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 2/4/15 4:21 PM, in article , "PeterN"
wrote:

On 2/4/2015 9:47 AM, George Kerby wrote:

On 2/2/15 11:30 AM, in article
, "PeterN"
wrote:

[...]

Well, I guess the middle initial of the school's name would indicate that
they might be on the not-so-liberal agenda, now that I consider...

Old February 5th 15, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

news

wrote:

On 2/4/2015 9:47 AM, George Kerby wrote:

On 2/2/15 11:30 AM, in article
,
"PeterN"
wrote:

[...]

Not being on the liberal agenda does not make one prejudiced. Despite
what some may claim, conservative ideals do not espouse that.

Old February 5th 15, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

You are displaying an intimate lack of knowledge of Methodist theology.
Yes some Methodists are prejudiced, some Cathlcs are prejusidce, some
Jews are prejudiced, some Muslims are prejudiced, some agnostics are
prejudiced, some atheists are prejudiced, etc.
Indeed almost everybody has some prejudice. the bottom line is how you
deal with your prejudices.

--
PeterN
Old February 6th 15, 01:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 2/5/15 2:34 PM, in article , "PeterN"
wrote:

On 2/5/2015 10:34 AM, George Kerby wrote:

On 2/4/15 4:21 PM, in article
, "PeterN"

wrote:

[...]

I am not referring to any such matter. In fact, I tend to lean to the
conservative side in most issues. I was merely taking note of the particular
form of Christianity and the name of the school. I tend to find that a lot
of hot gals went to SMU in my time (early 70s), LOL!

Old February 21st 15, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2/21/2015 4:17 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article , says...

[...]

Oh, she should have gone for that one. A friend of mine went to
Cornell. He's *beep*ing _weird_ and he says his roommate was even
weirder. Dunno that it would have been the right school for her, but
it's not as wrong as you might think.

Never thought that Cornell would have been the wrong school for her.
While we tried to exercise some gentle lguidance, we always left the
final decision up to her. The important thing is she doesn't regret her
decision, has extreme job satisfaction, she has refused to even talk to
companies that have offered her about a 50% salary increse, she has
national recognition, and has never lost her humananity.

--
PeterN
Old February 21st 15, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2/21/2015 4:21 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 2/3/2015 9:23 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
[...]

Buzz cut hair and combat boots is not to my taste for a woman but good
for her if that's what she liked. I can imagine the look on my mother's
face if I came home with a girl who looked like that , LOL! I know
she's made you proud.

Let's just say if she wanted to, she could convince nospam to switch to
Windows.

Nahh. She might make his head explode, which is an acceptabout outcome,
but convincing him to switch, nahh . . .

In her younger days she would shoot pool on a first date. His reaction
to being beaten determined whether she would say yes to a second date.

--
PeterN