OT False advertising

Old July 4th 14, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

Default OT False advertising

In the frozen dessert section of the supermarket is a "Natural Organic
Product. Extract from the label "organic dehydrated cane syrup...." The
front label contains a declaration: "SUGAR FREE"
WTF is dehydrated cane syrup, if not sugar. I mentioned this to the
supermarket manager, who stated they would be taken off the shelves. He
seemed to appreciate that I brought this to his attention. (Oh! yes! the
is a small local market, not part of a large chain.)

--
PeterN
Old July 4th 14, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

PeterN wrote:
In the frozen dessert section of the supermarket is a "Natural Organic
Product. Extract from the label "organic dehydrated cane syrup...." The
front label contains a declaration: "SUGAR FREE"
WTF is dehydrated cane syrup, if not sugar. I mentioned this to the
supermarket manager, who stated they would be taken off the shelves. He
seemed to appreciate that I brought this to his attention. (Oh! yes! the
is a small local market, not part of a large chain.)

I have seen some products containing "evaporated cane syrup", which of
course is then what we call sugar,as is dehydrated cane syrup. This is
not only false and misleading, but also poses some danger for people
with diabetes mellitus.

Shame on them. The F.D.A. should get after them.

Mort Linder
Old July 4th 14, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| In the frozen dessert section of the supermarket is a "Natural Organic
| Product. Extract from the label "organic dehydrated cane syrup...." The
| front label contains a declaration: "SUGAR FREE"
| WTF is dehydrated cane syrup, if not sugar. I mentioned this to the
| supermarket manager, who stated they would be taken off the shelves. He
| seemed to appreciate that I brought this to his attention. (Oh! yes! the
| is a small local market, not part of a large chain.)

Actually, that's only false advertising if it results
in people not buying the product. As you've pointed
out, there's no room for morality in business, so
there's no such thing as false advertising in the sense
of lying. Only in the sense of unsuccessful ad strategy.

If it's the US then "natural" means nothing, but
"organic" is actually strictly defined. I'm guessing
(without seeing the whole label) that "sugar free"
is also true. The cane syrup is presumably unrefined,
as would be honey or maple syrup. I don't know
whether "sugar-free" is officially defined as being
free of refined sucrose or dextrose, but I don't think
most people would consider it dishonest to advertise
sugar-free cookies made only with, say, honey and
fruit juice, because most people don't think of those
things as sugar.

Likewise, most "ice cream" is ice milk with seaweed
or bean gum as thickener. "Frozen yogurt" need only
be watered down ice milk with added bacteria. It
doesn't have to contain any yogurt. "Whole wheat"
bread is typically white bread with caramel coloring
and a bit of whole wheat. Power bars, marketed as
oat-based health foods, are essentially just
candy bars for gym denizens who want to fool
themselves. Breakfast cereals advertising "100% of
all required nutrients" are dubiously sourced grain
with a pile of sugar and a dash of vitamins added --
not a suitable foodstuff for anyone who cares about
healthy eating. Dasani water is shipped from Indian
peasants by Coca Cola (some say stolen from Indian
peasants) and sold at the price of actual food. Yet it's
just plain water. Most beer is actually a mix of beer
and fermented sugar water.
(Miller doesn't even use hops. They use chemicals
derived from hops. Real hops would skunk the beer
because of the clear bottles used. Is it still beer
when it's only got a little barley and no hops?)

On the bright side, Pom Wonderful just recently
won a lawsuit against Coca Cola, which was selling a
blend of 99% apple and grape juice as a powerhouse
anti-oxidant formula of pomegranate, blueberry,
raspberry juice....

Shall I go on? Are you, by some chance, asking for
regulation of the marketplace? Well I never!

Old July 4th 14, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mort
wrote:

In the frozen dessert section of the supermarket is a "Natural Organic
Product. Extract from the label "organic dehydrated cane syrup...." The
front label contains a declaration: "SUGAR FREE"
WTF is dehydrated cane syrup, if not sugar. I mentioned this to the
supermarket manager, who stated they would be taken off the shelves. He
seemed to appreciate that I brought this to his attention. (Oh! yes! the
is a small local market, not part of a large chain.)

I have seen some products containing "evaporated cane syrup", which of
course is then what we call sugar,as is dehydrated cane syrup. This is
not only false and misleading, but also poses some danger for people
with diabetes mellitus.

Shame on them. The F.D.A. should get after them.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...porated-cane-j
uice-sugar-in-disguise
FDA issued a guidance three years ago suggesting that manufacturers
shouldn't use the term evaporated cane juice to describe sweeteners
made from sugar cane syrup because the term hides the fact that
ultimately it's sugar. Of course, because it's a guidance, and a
draft one at that, the agency technically can't enforce it.
Old July 4th 14, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood[_8_]

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 21:27:53 -0400, Mort wrote:

PeterN wrote:
In the frozen dessert section of the supermarket is a "Natural Organic
Product. Extract from the label "organic dehydrated cane syrup...." The
front label contains a declaration: "SUGAR FREE"
WTF is dehydrated cane syrup, if not sugar. I mentioned this to the
supermarket manager, who stated they would be taken off the shelves. He
seemed to appreciate that I brought this to his attention. (Oh! yes!
the is a small local market, not part of a large chain.)

I have seen some products containing "evaporated cane syrup", which of
course is then what we call sugar,as is dehydrated cane syrup. This is
not only false and misleading, but also poses some danger for people
with diabetes mellitus.

Shame on them. The F.D.A. should get after them.

Mort Linder

In our local Tesco they sell packets of salted peanuts. Naturally they are
marked 'may contain peanuts'.

--
Neil
Reverse ‘i’ and ‘e’

---

Old July 6th 14, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 7/3/2014 9:28 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| In the frozen dessert section of the supermarket is a "Natural Organic
| Product. Extract from the label "organic dehydrated cane syrup...." The
| front label contains a declaration: "SUGAR FREE"
| WTF is dehydrated cane syrup, if not sugar. I mentioned this to the
| supermarket manager, who stated they would be taken off the shelves. He
| seemed to appreciate that I brought this to his attention. (Oh! yes! the
| is a small local market, not part of a large chain.)

Actually, that's only false advertising if it results
in people not buying the product. As you've pointed
out, there's no room for morality in business,

Please show exactly where I "pointed that out."

--
PeterN
Old July 6th 14, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 7/3/2014 9:28 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| In the frozen dessert section of the supermarket is a "Natural Organic
| Product. Extract from the label "organic dehydrated cane syrup...." The
| front label contains a declaration: "SUGAR FREE"
| WTF is dehydrated cane syrup, if not sugar. I mentioned this to the
| supermarket manager, who stated they would be taken off the shelves. He
| seemed to appreciate that I brought this to his attention. (Oh! yes! the
| is a small local market, not part of a large chain.)

Actually, that's only false advertising if it results
in people not buying the product. As you've pointed
out, there's no room for morality in business, so
there's no such thing as false advertising in the sense
of lying. Only in the sense of unsuccessful ad strategy.

If it's the US then "natural" means nothing, but
"organic" is actually strictly defined. I'm guessing
(without seeing the whole label) that "sugar free"
is also true. The cane syrup is presumably unrefined,
as would be honey or maple syrup. I don't know
whether "sugar-free" is officially defined as being
free of refined sucrose or dextrose, but I don't think
most people would consider it dishonest to advertise
sugar-free cookies made only with, say, honey and
fruit juice, because most people don't think of those
things as sugar.

Likewise, most "ice cream" is ice milk with seaweed
or bean gum as thickener. "Frozen yogurt" need only
be watered down ice milk with added bacteria. It
doesn't have to contain any yogurt. "Whole wheat"
bread is typically white bread with caramel coloring
and a bit of whole wheat. Power bars, marketed as
oat-based health foods, are essentially just
candy bars for gym denizens who want to fool
themselves. Breakfast cereals advertising "100% of
all required nutrients" are dubiously sourced grain
with a pile of sugar and a dash of vitamins added --
not a suitable foodstuff for anyone who cares about
healthy eating. Dasani water is shipped from Indian
peasants by Coca Cola (some say stolen from Indian
peasants) and sold at the price of actual food. Yet it's
just plain water. Most beer is actually a mix of beer
and fermented sugar water.
(Miller doesn't even use hops. They use chemicals
derived from hops. Real hops would skunk the beer
because of the clear bottles used. Is it still beer
when it's only got a little barley and no hops?)

On the bright side, Pom Wonderful just recently
won a lawsuit against Coca Cola, which was selling a
blend of 99% apple and grape juice as a powerhouse
anti-oxidant formula of pomegranate, blueberry,
raspberry juice....

Shall I go on? Are you, by some chance, asking for
regulation of the marketplace? Well I never!

You are confused, to say the least.

--
PeterN
Old July 6th 14, 02:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 7/3/2014 10:13 PM, RichA wrote:
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:06:29 PM UTC-4, PeterN wrote:
In the frozen dessert section of the supermarket is a "Natural Organic

Product. Extract from the label "organic dehydrated cane syrup...." The

front label contains a declaration: "SUGAR FREE"

WTF is dehydrated cane syrup, if not sugar. I mentioned this to the

supermarket manager, who stated they would be taken off the shelves. He

seemed to appreciate that I brought this to his attention. (Oh! yes! the

is a small local market, not part of a large chain.)

Organofreaks are morons. Most of them don't know a thing about chemistry but think they can understand good from bad foodstuffs. This stupidity is why Americans also spend $30 billion or more a year on quack medicine, unproven "supplements" and other 15th century rubbish.
Darwin will sort them out.

Darwin has done nothing about moronic anti plastic freaks.

--
PeterN
Old July 6th 14, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 7/3/2014 9:27 PM, Mort wrote:
PeterN wrote:
In the frozen dessert section of the supermarket is a "Natural Organic
Product. Extract from the label "organic dehydrated cane syrup...." The
front label contains a declaration: "SUGAR FREE"
WTF is dehydrated cane syrup, if not sugar. I mentioned this to the
supermarket manager, who stated they would be taken off the shelves. He
seemed to appreciate that I brought this to his attention. (Oh! yes! the
is a small local market, not part of a large chain.)

I have seen some products containing "evaporated cane syrup", which of
course is then what we call sugar,as is dehydrated cane syrup. This is
not only false and misleading, but also poses some danger for people
with diabetes mellitus.

Shame on them. The F.D.A. should get after them.

Mort Linder

Unfortunately the FDA cannot enforce that, for many reasons. And yes,
the false label represents a danger to diabetics, who cannot understand
the gobeldegook.
Remember Barnum posted a sign: "THIS WAY TO THE EGRESS." You had to pay
to get back in.

--
PeterN
Old July 6th 14, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Organofreaks are morons. Most of them don't know a thing about chemistry
but think they can understand good from bad foodstuffs. This stupidity is
why Americans also spend $30 billion or more a year on quack medicine,
unproven "supplements" and other 15th century rubbish.
Darwin will sort them out.

Let me see if I understand this. Organofreaks are
people who are concerned about things like overly
processed foods and toxic chemicals in the food supply?
And you're on the side of rational science because
you don't care what's in your food so long as it tastes
good? Are there only two, well-defined, scientifically
delineated groups then -- looney tunes and people
who eat normal, like you?

What are the unproven supplements? Are you
referring to testosterone replacement, statins, cures
for the alleged scourge known as "acid reflux", sleeping
pills, and the treatment of "childhood disorder" with
psychoactive drugs and speed? On that I'd have to
agree. Drug companies marketing to doctors has
become a big problem. And that's not even getting
into over-the-counter nonsense like cold cures and the
latest fad: washing one's hands constantly with overpriced
alcohol solution in hopes of keeping bacteria away from
one's body. It's amazing what passes for science these
days, wouldn'tcha say?