Giving photogs a bad name?

Old May 18th 14, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Giving photogs a bad name?

On Sun, 18 May 2014 12:50:54 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Sunday, May 18, 2014 11:15:13 AM UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sat, 17 May 2014 23:00:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA

wrote:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...lican-primary/

You seem to think that any reference to the use of a camera is a

photography issue. That's not necessarily true.

The photograph was taken by a blogger with a political agenda. His

action may give political bloggers a bad name, but it has nothing to

do with photographers.

I thought of that, but given the blurring of the lines being produced by news organizations firing photogs and delegating the job to writers and reporters, it's not hard to imagine someone would think he was a photog as well, or at least acting as one.

If he's got a camera, he's a photographer.

Eric Stevens
Old May 18th 14, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:32:34 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:
:
: If he's got a camera, he's a photographer.

That's way too broad.

If he's got a camera and knows how to use it, he's a photographer.

Actually, that's still too broad.

If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
better one, he's a photographer.

Still not quite there.

If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
better one, and he's right, he's a photographer.

(Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)

Bob
Old May 18th 14, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 5/18/2014 5:22 PM, Robert Coe wrote:

(Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)

Did Martha happen to see you writing that? ;-p

--
PeterN
Old May 18th 14, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:
:
: If he's got a camera, he's a photographer.

That's way too broad.

If he's got a camera and knows how to use it, he's a photographer.

Actually, that's still too broad.

If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
better one, he's a photographer.

Still not quite there.

If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
better one, and he's right, he's a photographer.

(Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)

'He or she' or 'they' seemed too clumsy but I knew that somebody
would probably pick me up on the 'he'.

Your qualifications of the word 'photographer' reflect how most of us
would feel about the proper use of the term but I suspect the
dictionary will generally tell us that a photographer is "a person who
takes photographs" among other things.

Eric Stevens
Old May 18th 14, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

On Sunday, May 18, 2014 11:15:13 AM UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sat, 17 May 2014 23:00:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA

wrote:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...s-arrest-shake

s-up-mississippi-republican-primary/

You seem to think that any reference to the use of a camera is a

photography issue. That's not necessarily true.

The photograph was taken by a blogger with a political agenda. His

action may give political bloggers a bad name, but it has nothing

do with photographers.

I thought of that, but given the blurring of the lines being
produced by news organizations firing photogs and delegating the
job to writers and reporters, it's not hard to imagine someone
would think he was a photog as well, or at least acting as one.

If he's got a camera, he's a photographer.

Just because I make toast in the morning, does that make me a chef?

No doubt you would be a Toast Master instead of an MC.

Eric Stevens
Old May 19th 14, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 18 May 2014 17:30:10 -0400, PeterN
wrote:
: On 5/18/2014 5:22 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
:
:
:
: (Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
: always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)
:
:
: Did Martha happen to see you writing that? ;-p

No, I stifled any chauvinistic tendencies entirely on my own.

Bob
Old May 19th 14, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 18 May 2014 18:06:58 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:
: On Sun, 18 May 2014 17:22:05 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
:
: On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:32:34 +1200, Eric Stevens
: wrote:
: :
[...]
: needs a better than his wife thinks they can afford, he's a
: photographer.
:
: Of course, that statement has a built-in fault. His wife thinks that
: *any* camera expenditure is more than they can afford. Whatever it
: cost could be better spent on shoes for her.

In our household it's sort of the other way around. I keep telling Martha she
needs a new camera (a 70D, for example), but she prefers her current camera
because it weighs less. It was one of the best of the Canon Rebel series, but
is now several models out of date.

Bob
Old May 19th 14, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

wrote:
:
: If he's got a camera, he's a photographer.

That's way too broad.

If he's got a camera and knows how to use it, he's a photographer.

Actually, that's still too broad.

If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs
better one, he's a photographer.

Still not quite there.

If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs
better one, and he's right, he's a photographer.

(Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)

If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he
needs a better than his wife thinks they can afford, he's a
photographer.

LOL! You have described it perfectly.

Of course, that statement has a built-in fault. His wife thinks that
*any* camera expenditure is more than they can afford. Whatever it
cost could be better spent on shoes for her.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Old May 20th 14, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

wrote:
: On Sun, 18 May 2014 17:22:05 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
:
: On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:32:34 +1200, Eric Stevens
: wrote:
: :
[...]

One of the members of my CC has a wife who encourages hime ot buy
cameras & lenses. For every dollar he uses to purchase photo equipment,
he spends a dollar to buy her jewelry.

--
PeterN

Giving photogs a bad name? Savageduck[_3_] Digital Photography 4 May 18th 14 09:30 PM
Giving up. Pablo Digital Photography 56 November 7th 12 01:50 PM
Giving up Badasghan Lukacina APS Photographic Equipment 0 August 22nd 04 09:11 AM
Giving up Beneactiney Redgrave Film & Labs 0 August 21st 04 10:59 PM
Giving up Bakaka Fazackerly In The Darkroom 0 August 20th 04 09:31 PM