[SI] Night Shots is posted!

Old December 24th 10, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default [SI] Night Shots is posted!

Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots

If you're curious about the Shoot-In, and would like to submit photos,
you can find all the into he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

This is not a competition and there are no prizes, just the on-line
comments from participants and viewers.

Curious that the shooter who requested that this mandate be postponed
didn't submit a shot...
Old December 24th 10, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:42:48 -0500, Bowser wrote:

Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots

If you're curious about the Shoot-In, and would like to submit photos,
you can find all the into he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

This is not a competition and there are no prizes, just the on-line
comments from participants and viewers.

I missed the deadline but sent you two just now.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old December 24th 10, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Allen[_3_]

On 12/24/2010 7:42 AM, Bowser wrote:
Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots

If you're curious about the Shoot-In, and would like to submit photos,
you can find all the into he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

This is not a competition and there are no prizes, just the on-line
comments from participants and viewers.

Curious that the shooter who requested that this mandate be postponed
didn't submit a shot...

Otter, I'm glad to see more of your Austin pictures.
Allen
Old December 24th 10, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Bowser wrote:
Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots

NITE_Paul-Furman_DSC_5553.jpg [Lunar Eclipse]
I tried all kinds of settings on the D700 with a 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm
f/4.5 with stacked converters and everywhere in between. The successful
ones used 2 seconds ISO 25600 to 1600; this eclipse seems darker than
the 2007 eclipse which I shot at ISO 100 on the D200 (I had to boost
exposure in post +2). This one was ISO 1600 with exposure +2.73 in
Lightroom and blacks pushed to +25 from raw. So anyways it was really a
challenge and I don't have anything that could be enlarged. Here's a
little bigger at 1920 px wide:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...75863/sizes/o/

NIT_Fly_Thru_Moon.jpg [W. P. Romfh, Houston]
Wow! Not just a amazing catch but a nice photo too!

NIT_New_Moon.jpg [W. P. Romfh, Houston]
Not as interesting. The 20 sec exposure shows in the moon but what's
that other little wing off the lower left of the moon?

NIT_Texas_Sunrise.jpg
Pretty good composition really, it holds up as a thumbnail although the
foreground is lacking. Are the green lights just a white balance illusion?

NS Planets Aligned Troy Piggins.jpg
Is this a composite? 30 seconds, that must be the moon, shot with a
tracking telescope head and the skyline a shorter exposure? Similar
technique to W. P.'s new moon shot with a long exposure stopped way
down... hmmm...

Night Shots Dubai Boats Troy Piggins.jpg
Very nice, the colors are actually similar to Pete Attkins' harbor shot.

NightShot-Savageduck-01.jpg [Hearst Castle, "Neptune Pool"]
Well done! If this is HDR, it's very tastefully applied but I suspect
it's just the 'magic hour' at dusk. Flawless composition.

NightShot-Savageduck-02.jpg [Hearst Castle, "Neptune Pool" from above]
The wide angle perspective is disturbing here, was it partially
corrected in post? Great job capturing these hand held! You really did
need that f/11 here.

NightShot-Savageduck-03.jpg [Hearst Castle Library]
Pretty good capture of the scene but there's some weird hazy-cloud flare
issues.

NightShots1_tjy.jpg [San Diego trolley]
This has a little tilt and the lens barrel distortion is distracting at
the left edge. Decent lighting and composition but not really compelling.

NightShots2_tjy.jpg [Pacifica Hotel]
The magic hour lighting works great here. Nice subtle mood.

NightShots_Pete_Attkins_1428.jpg [Maersk Line]
Yowsa! Actually the colors might not be that far off, these container
cargo facilities have crazy bright lighting and rather surreal to begin
with. Was the 'solarization' effect done manually with a zig-zag curves
adjustment?

Night_TimConway.jpg [Swans]
Curious lighting, coming from below, reflected off the water but the
water is black. Was flash invloved?

Night_TimConway_2old.jpg [Flying Clock]
Heh, this is a nifty piece of graphics, well done. Is it actually a
'photo' though?

SI_night_otter_1.jpg [Green Mesquite restaurant]
Nice piece of street shooting!

SI_night_otter_2.jpg [Night fishing and the night train]
Fascinating scene, well captured. I'd like to see a little longer
exposure giving the train more motion...

SI_night_otter_3.jpg [Joe Walsh and Glenn Frey]
Perfect concert shot, gotta love that full frame sensitivity and dynamic
range.

bowser_night_1.jpg [Football "post to post"]
Well conceived and executed except the foreground audience is lacking,
which you did so well in the previous wide angle stadium shot.

bowser_night_2.jpg [church decorated for Christmas]
Hmm, doesn't look like a church but a house. The snow is a nice touch!

bowser_night_3.jpg [living room]
Quite a collection of illuminated buildings. Is the white balance too
magenta here?

Old December 24th 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots
:
: If you're curious about the Shoot-In, and would like to submit photos,
: you can find all the into he
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
:
: This is not a competition and there are no prizes, just the on-line
: comments from participants and viewers.
:
: Curious that the shooter who requested that this mandate be postponed
: didn't submit a shot...

If you mean me, I'm working on it. I sent my three this morning, and I
promised Martha I'd submit one of hers. And she's still hoping to finally get
out tonight for a couple of Christmas light pix.

Frankly, I got a bit blindsided. I didn't really look at the calendar, and at
first I thought you had postponed it a full week, until the Sunday *after*
Christmas. So a few days ago, when I discovered my error, it was "Oh, ****!"
time. ;^)

Bob
Old December 24th 10, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:02:47 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:
: On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:42:48 -0500, Bowser wrote:
:
: Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots
:
: If you're curious about the Shoot-In, and would like to submit photos,
: you can find all the into he
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
:
: This is not a competition and there are no prizes, just the on-line
: comments from participants and viewers.
:
: I missed the deadline but sent you two just now.

Good! Then it's not just me.

Bob
Old December 24th 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete[_9_]

I always struggle with commenting; this time I put my energy into a
submission so my comments are sparse. I have thoroughly enjoyed viewing
every image presented therefore many thanks to you all. Happy
Festivities and Best Wishes for an enjoyable New Year.

NIT_Fly_Thru_Moon:
Awesome.

NightShot-Savageduck-01:
Airy - surreal and beautiful yet believeable.

NightShots_Pete_Attkins_1428:
Left and right side of his brain are seriously cross-wired

Tim Conway:
I've said in the past that I usually enjoy your shots: this time is no
exception. Is there no limit to your creativity?

SI_night_otter_2:
The small palette of colours combined with exquisite contrast make this
image superb. Sell it for a high price.

Bowser:
I thought I could spot your images within a few seconds, but 2 and 3
have shown how wrong I have been. 3 has a certain "magic" that is
rarely seen.

--
Pete

Old December 24th 10, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete[_9_]

wrote:
: On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:42:48 -0500, Bowser wrote:
:
: Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots
:
: If you're curious about the Shoot-In, and would like to submit photos,
: you can find all the into he
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
:
: This is not a competition and there are no prizes, just the on-line
: comments from participants and viewers.
:
: I missed the deadline but sent you two just now.

Good! Then it's not just me.

Bob

This is gonna sound very rude, but it is only factual.

Being physically and mentally disabled, it has been impossible for me
to meet the criteria for any SI this year until "Night Shots" was
announced. I have worked through the disappointment of the changing
agenda because I always wish to accommodate the views and commitments
of others without complaining, until now...

If I could prepare myself for the original deadline then I don't feel
that late submissions are acceptable. Flippant excuses **** me off:
obviously I need to either learn more tolerance or develop better
diction

Old December 24th 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
peter

On 12/24/2010 8:42 AM, Bowser wrote:
Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots

If you're curious about the Shoot-In, and would like to submit photos,
you can find all the into he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

This is not a competition and there are no prizes, just the on-line
comments from participants and viewers.

Curious that the shooter who requested that this mandate be postponed
didn't submit a shot...

Oops! My bad missed the deadline, but sent some oldies a few minutes ago.

--
Peter
Old December 24th 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
peter

On 12/24/2010 11:44 AM, Paul Furman wrote:
Bowser wrote:
[...]

I have just seen the penalty for being late. Missed Paul's always
welcome and incisive comments.

--
Peter