[SI] New Mandates!

Old September 22nd 10, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default [SI] New Mandates!

Time for some new mandates for the Shoot-In. The committee has met and
chosen these three mandates for your consideration:

Last 90: Simply put, send your favorite shot(s) of the last 90 days.
This should be easy, but you MUST explain why these are your favorite
shots. No explanation, no shot posted. I'll include the explanation
with each shot.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/last90
Due October 24th, 2010

Open: Yes, a shooter's choice mandate. The shootin dictator likes to
do this every so often to give the shooters freedom to fire at will
and show us the results.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/open2
Due November 21st, 2010

Panorama/Mosaic: Send photo(s) that are either stitched, scanned, or
cobbled together "collage" style to form a single picture. Shoot a
bunch of pictures and send a spherical panorama. Lay a bunch of
Polaroids on a scanner and scan them. Your choice.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pano_mosaic
Due December 19th, 2010.

If you are new to the Shoot-In, you can get more info he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

There is no scoring, there is no prize, only the comments you might
read in the primary newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm. This is
simply a monthly (sort of) shooting excercise for anyone who wants to
participate.
Old September 22nd 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-09-22 05:29:07 -0700, Bowser said:

Time for some new mandates for the Shoot-In. The committee has met and
chosen these three mandates for your consideration:

Last 90: Simply put, send your favorite shot(s) of the last 90 days.
This should be easy, but you MUST explain why these are your favorite
shots. No explanation, no shot posted. I'll include the explanation
with each shot.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/last90
Due October 24th, 2010

Open: Yes, a shooter's choice mandate. The shootin dictator likes to
do this every so often to give the shooters freedom to fire at will
and show us the results.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/open2
Due November 21st, 2010

So we have in effect, TWO "Favorite" "Open Shooter's Choice" type mandates.
Mmmmmm, methinks there was an SI Mandate committee cop-out.

Old September 22nd 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 17:48:21 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

Bowser wrote:
Time for some new mandates for the Shoot-In. The committee has met and
chosen these three mandates for your consideration:

Last 90: Simply put, send your favorite shot(s) of the last 90 days.
This should be easy, but you MUST explain why these are your favorite
shots. No explanation, no shot posted. I'll include the explanation
with each shot.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/last90
Due October 24th, 2010

Open: Yes, a shooter's choice mandate. The shootin dictator likes to
do this every so often to give the shooters freedom to fire at will
and show us the results.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/open2
Due November 21st, 2010

How will anyone know the difference between these two? It is a
certain sign of creative bankruptcy to have two completely open
mandates one after another.

But experience shows that the mandates mean nothing. In the "50mm"
mandate, a shot that clearly wasn't taken with a 50mm lens (or
equivalent) was allowed entry to the SI. Then, the "Pinhole" mandate
was liberally interpreted by some as "choose one of your favourite
photo locations and stick a pin in the map at that point".

So perhaps, if the mandates are ignored, they are a waste of time, and
all SIs should be open. In which case, the SI has no point, but we
knew that anyway.

Feel free to comment on anything, Bruce, but it seems to me that if
the Shoot-In interests you enough to worry about mandate compliance
then you should be interested enough to comment on the photos.

Even if your comments are negative, at least you would be contributing
something by your critiques.

I agree that the Shoot-In has no point, but I don't see why it should.
It's entertainment for those who participate. Entertainment doesn't
need a point. It needs only to amuse those who participate.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 22nd 10, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-09-22 09:48:21 -0700, Bruce said:

Bowser wrote:
Time for some new mandates for the Shoot-In. The committee has met and
chosen these three mandates for your consideration:

Last 90: Simply put, send your favorite shot(s) of the last 90 days.
This should be easy, but you MUST explain why these are your favorite
shots. No explanation, no shot posted. I'll include the explanation
with each shot.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/last90
Due October 24th, 2010

Open: Yes, a shooter's choice mandate. The shootin dictator likes to
do this every so often to give the shooters freedom to fire at will
and show us the results.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/open2
Due November 21st, 2010

How will anyone know the difference between these two? It is a
certain sign of creative bankruptcy to have two completely open
mandates one after another.

I grudgingly agree, there was a Bowser cop-out on this proposal, given
that we had a "Favorite Shot" mandate a mere 9 months ago. There is
still an opportunity for him to change at least the second of these
mandates.

But experience shows that the mandates mean nothing. In the "50mm"
mandate, a shot that clearly wasn't taken with a 50mm lens (or
equivalent) was allowed entry to the SI. Then, the "Pinhole" mandate
was liberally interpreted by some as "choose one of your favourite
photo locations and stick a pin in the map at that point".

For those who take them even slightly seriously, we try to find some
way to meet the mandate. That is the challenge after all. Which is
where the problem with a "favorite" or a "Shooter's Choice" mandate
lies. Then it becomes subjective and a matter of personal taste, and no
challenge at all.
Part of this game is trying to think out of the box, not to work within
a comfort zone.

So perhaps, if the mandates are ignored, they are a waste of time, and
all SIs should be open. In which case, the SI has no point, but we
knew that anyway.

....but this should give you an opportunity to participate in and enjoy,
rather than criticize something you apparently are not interest in.

Savageduck

Old September 22nd 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-09-22 05:29:07 -0700, Bowser said:

Time for some new mandates for the Shoot-In. The committee has met and
chosen these three mandates for your consideration:

Last 90: Simply put, send your favorite shot(s) of the last 90 days.
This should be easy, but you MUST explain why these are your favorite
shots. No explanation, no shot posted. I'll include the explanation
with each shot.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/last90
Due October 24th, 2010

Open: Yes, a shooter's choice mandate. The shootin dictator likes to
do this every so often to give the shooters freedom to fire at will
and show us the results.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/open2
Due November 21st, 2010

So we have in effect, TWO "Favorite" "Open Shooter's Choice" type mandates.
Mmmmmm, methinks there was an SI Mandate committee cop-out.

The more I think about it, these are a complete cop-out. We had a
"Favorite Shots" mandate 9 months ago. This is way too soon for a
repeat, and now we have two in a row!
You would have done better to drag out one of the antique mandates from
a few years back.

Savageduck

Old September 22nd 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

On 2010-09-22 05:29:07 -0700, Bowser said:

So we have in effect, TWO "Favorite" "Open Shooter's Choice" type
mandates.
Mmmmmm, methinks there was an SI Mandate committee cop-out.

Your comment is clearly indicative of your sexual orientation.
Gay men and straight women will be really excited about two open man dates.

--
Peter

Old September 22nd 10, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-09-22 05:29:07 -0700, Bowser said:

So we have in effect, TWO "Favorite" "Open Shooter's Choice" type mandates.
Mmmmmm, methinks there was an SI Mandate committee cop-out.

Your comment is clearly indicative of your sexual orientation.
Gay men and straight women will be really excited about two open man dates.

As retired LE, I choose to "cop-out" of that concept.

Savageduck

Old September 22nd 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Savageduck wrote:
On 2010-09-22 09:48:21 -0700, Bruce said:
Bowser wrote:
[...]

A few months ago I made some genuinely positive, constructive
suggestions as to how the SI could be improved out of all recognition.
They were all rejected by Bowser. That was his choice, and the SI
remains a joke.

My choice is, and always has been, not to participate in anything
which does not have improvement as its core objective, and as the new
mandates prove, the SI just gets steadily worse, and worse.

It should be allowed to die, now.

A joke? Are you of a mind that the SI is supposed to be some sort
showcase for fine art, professional photography? That it is not, and
never has been. That sort of thing is available elsewhere.

Just because you don't agree with the SI concept, and Just because for
whatever reasons your suggestions were not used, does not mean the SI
is without purpose.
The SI is a place photo group participants can have some fun and
entertain themselves.
It is not a competition of any sort, and it in no way means we are
seeing, or are intended to see the best of any of the participant's
work. It is not meant to be taken seriously.

Loosen up a bit, and without embarrassing yourself too much, (sometimes
we find ourselves grinning a little sheepishly at our efforts) join the
fun.

Otherwise just ignore it, and continue to make whatever comments and
esoteric, or maybe downright arcane posts from those who pose as
photo-elitists.

Savageduck

Old September 23rd 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
LOL![_3_]

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:59:42 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

It is not meant to be taken seriously.

Why state the obvious? That's glaringly apparent from all the crapshots
that are always submitted. The most recent are absolutely no different.
Yours being the best examples of all.

LOL!

When I think of all the time and effort that Putz Furman wasted on that
fuzzy soft and noisy skeeter-wing mess .... ROFLMAO! I thought only that
much noise was in my 1/2.5" sensor cameras at ISO 3200. So much for that
lie about larger sensors being of any benefit for noise levels--at only
ISO200 too. LOL! And someone sorely needs a primer in microscopy
illumination basics. 141 frames stacked for a subject that flat? Everything
he could possibly do wrong he did do wrong. While still managing to totally
miss the guidelines of the mandate. LOL! Oh wait! I get it now! The sensor
"noise" in his image is supposed to be for the mandate topic! Or I guess he
needed an excuse to show that beginner's crap in order to somehow justify
his waste of time and money.

LOL!

Does bad-patch-job editor Peter even know what is meant by "skimmers
skimming?" Or is he referring to his skimming the bottom of the barrel
trying to find something to show? I'll chalk this up to his obvious
displays of dementia. And Cooper, if you're going to take that much time to
clone in stuff on a worthless shot at least you should get the lighting
something closer to what happens in this universe.

Old September 23rd 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tim Conway[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

"Danger, Will Robinson; Danger, Will Robinson. Mr Smith is here again with
his continuing rant of negativity!"