Canon F-1 question

Old October 20th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Longfellow

Default Canon F-1 question

Got handed an old Canon F-1 a while ago, and cleaned it up to see if it
actually worked. It does indeed, with the exception of the aperture
indicator in the viewfinder. It sticks through the middle of its
travel. The meter is live and appears to work well.

So I got hold of an F-1 repair manual to see what might be going on. I
gather that there is a module that has a wound string running from it,
that passes under a pulley and connects to the indicator. I also gather
that this module is calibrated with the sensor and that it was intended
that it be replaced as a unit (both module and sensor). I also know
from long experience that I might be, not only out of the ball-park
here, but in some other town!

This camera is sitting amongst some other doughty old mechanical
monsters all of which perform beautifully. So it should be brought up
to speed as well... except that I've a sinking feeling that this is one
of the F-1 problems that can't be fixed (like Nikon F finder meters, etc).

Any old Canonistas with F-1 experience that know anything about this?
I'd appreciate some insight here!

Thanks for reading.

Longfellow

Old October 20th 09, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 10/19/2009 6:34 PM Longfellow spake thus:

Got handed an old Canon F-1 a while ago, and cleaned it up to see if it
actually worked. It does indeed, with the exception of the aperture
indicator in the viewfinder. It sticks through the middle of its
travel. The meter is live and appears to work well.

So I got hold of an F-1 repair manual to see what might be going on. I
gather that there is a module that has a wound string running from it,
that passes under a pulley and connects to the indicator. I also gather
that this module is calibrated with the sensor and that it was intended
that it be replaced as a unit (both module and sensor). I also know
from long experience that I might be, not only out of the ball-park
here, but in some other town!

Any old Canonistas with F-1 experience that know anything about this?
I'd appreciate some insight here!

I can't help you, but I know someone who probably can. Get ahold of Rick
Oleson, inveterate camera tinkerer and documenter. See his "tech pages"
at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-27.html (for his email address,
scroll to the bottom of this page: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com).

I've emailed him questions about cameras (the last time was when I had
an issue with my Canon A-1), and he was happy to respond.

Good luck.

Old October 20th 09, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Longfellow

On 2009-10-20, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 10/19/2009 6:34 PM Longfellow spake thus:

snip
I can't help you, but I know someone who probably can. Get ahold of Rick
Oleson, inveterate camera tinkerer and documenter. See his "tech pages"
at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-27.html (for his email address,
scroll to the bottom of this page: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com).

I've emailed him questions about cameras (the last time was when I had
an issue with my Canon A-1), and he was happy to respond.

Good luck.

Thanks for the link.

Longfellow

Old October 21st 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

"Longfellow" wrote in message
ninternet...
[...]

Garry's Camera Repair in Niles, IL is very good with the older mechanical
cameras; also economical. He has repaired several of my Canon FX's.