Blowing out Canon's "M"

Old July 9th 13, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Default Blowing out Canon's "M"

RichA wrote:
Looks like something new is coming, or they've killed it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_with.html

Hi,

I just read that an official Canon software update for the Canon M will
be out in 2 months, and that it will increase focus speed by 2.3 times.
If correct, that might change one's mind about buying the M now and
then getting the (free?) update in September. Of course, the expected
dual pixel model might be even faster, but the price difference will be
substantial.

Mort Linder
Old July 10th 13, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_with.html
:
:
: Hi,
:
: I just read that an official Canon software update for the Canon M will
: be out in 2 months, and that it will increase focus speed by 2.3 times.
: If correct, that might change one's mind about buying the M now and
: then getting the (free?) update

In my experience, all such Canon updates are free.

: in September. Of course, the expected dual pixel model might be even
: faster, but the price difference will be substantial.

Yes, but with a camera as expensive as the M already is, the Grand Omission is
an eye-level viewfinder, not faster AF (as important as the latter is). I
continue to believe that that omission was because of a shortage of power. But
I also continue to believe that better battery technology will eventually
solve that problem if Canon and its user community can exercise enough
patience.

All(?) of us believe that new viewfinder technology will render the DSLR
obsolete, and those of us of a certain age (or older) hope we live to see it
happen. But you have to start somewhere. And so far, the M (and NOT the
mirrorless Nikons) shows a glimmer of promise of being that starting point.

Bob
Old July 10th 13, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Robert Coe wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 21:08:47 -0400, Mort wrote:

: in September. Of course, the expected dual pixel model might be even
: faster, but the price difference will be substantial.

Yes, but with a camera as expensive as the M already is, the Grand Omission is
an eye-level viewfinder,

If you want a viewfinder, use the 100D.

not faster AF (as important as the latter is). I
continue to believe that that omission was because of a shortage of power.

It was far more likely one of size.

All(?) of us believe that new viewfinder technology will render the DSLR
obsolete,

And putting our industries on the moon will only damage the
lunar ecosystem. Hopefully that'll happen soonish. I won't
hold my breath, though.

-Wolfgang
Old July 11th 13, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 18:41:01 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:

Robert Coe wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 21:08:47 -0400, Mort wrote:

: in September. Of course, the expected dual pixel model might be even
: faster, but the price difference will be substantial.

Yes, but with a camera as expensive as the M already is, the Grand Omission is
an eye-level viewfinder,

If you want a viewfinder, use the 100D.

not faster AF (as important as the latter is). I
continue to believe that that omission was because of a shortage of power.

It was far more likely one of size.

All(?) of us believe that new viewfinder technology will render the DSLR
obsolete,

And putting our industries on the moon will only damage the
lunar ecosystem. Hopefully that'll happen soonish. I won't
hold my breath, though.

You will have to on the moon.

Eric Stevens