Bluefire Police film?

Old October 28th 09, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Bluefire Police film?

[Using r.p.e.35mm for its intended purpose--discussions of 35mm FILM
cameras]

So has anyone used this Bluefire "Police" film? See
http://www.frugalphotographer.com/catBluefire.htm

Is this basically the same as the Gigabit stuff? Is it any good? Is it
worth messing with?

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Old October 28th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.darkroom
Peter Irwin

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm David Nebenzahl wrote:
[Using r.p.e.35mm for its intended purpose--discussions of 35mm FILM
cameras]

So has anyone used this Bluefire "Police" film? See
http://www.frugalphotographer.com/catBluefire.htm

Is this basically the same as the Gigabit stuff? Is it any good? Is it
worth messing with?

I haven't tried that one, but as far as I know all such things
are high speed source document microfilms plus some variation
on POTA developer.

If you can find someone to sell you a modest quantity of
Agfa Copex or Kodak Imagelink films in 35mm double perf,
you could do it a lot cheaper. Most microfilm sellers seem
to want to sell film by the case, and I'm not aware of anyone
who will currently sell me a single 100 foot roll. It is very
cheap by the case, and I wish B&H or someone would sell a single
100 foot roll for double their cost, but they don't.

16mm film and unperforated 35 is easier to find in small
quantities, but the perforated stuff that fits our cameras
seems to be the least common of the standard formats for microfilming.

Peter.

Old October 28th 09, 07:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[Using r.p.e.35mm for its intended purpose--discussions of 35mm FILM
cameras]

Film equipment here of the 35 mm sort is fine, but discussions are not
limited to film bodies.

[rec.photo.darkroom removed]

--
john mcwilliams
Old October 28th 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 10/27/2009 10:39 PM John McWilliams spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[Using r.p.e.35mm for its intended purpose--discussions of 35mm FILM
cameras]

Film equipment here of the 35 mm sort is fine, but discussions are not
limited to film bodies.

They aren't, obviously, as evidenced by the flood of posts about the
"fab" this and the "fab" that digital camera. But they should be.

Old October 30th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.darkroom
Murray

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[Using r.p.e.35mm for its intended purpose--discussions of 35mm FILM
cameras]

So has anyone used this Bluefire "Police" film? See
http://www.frugalphotographer.com/catBluefire.htm

Is this basically the same as the Gigabit stuff? Is it any good? Is it
worth messing with?

It is the same as Gigabit - Agfa Copex Rapid. There is a recommended
developer, a so-called 'variation' on the Holden & Weichert formula
of 35 years ago. You can make that yourself (I did) and if you
make the active ingredient part with glycol/glycerol/brake fluid
(yes!) it will keep fine in the fridge. Just make sure you
remember how much of what goes with that to get the final
dilution. The numbers are weird.
As to what to do with it depends if you're a 'grainless' friek.
There is none. But it can still be hard to get pictorial
results. The phenidone can cause banding of areas of almost
constant tone, such as skies. Damned irritating.
I bought a can of 35mm, and 16mm for the Minoltas/Kiev miniature
cameras and still have a bunch.
There are those who swear by C41 developer. Haven't been
down that road yet but am considering Dignan's split C41
formula for just this film. Got the makin's just haven't
done it yet. Lots of cameras and film - so little time.
:-) Good luck you will get lots of experience with occult
developer formulae.
Murray
Old October 30th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
Murray wrote:

As to what to do with it depends if you're a 'grainless' friek.
There is none. But it can still be hard to get pictorial
results. The phenidone can cause banding of areas of almost
constant tone, such as skies. Damned irritating.

I wonder whether, at this late date, it would be possible to persuade
Kodak to divulge the formula for Technidol.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
"Even experienced UNIX users occasionally enter rm *.* at the UNIX
Old October 30th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 10/30/2009 8:17 AM Thor Lancelot Simon spake thus:

In article ,
Murray wrote:

As to what to do with it depends if you're a 'grainless' friek.
There is none. But it can still be hard to get pictorial results.
The phenidone can cause banding of areas of almost constant tone,
such as skies. Damned irritating.

I wonder whether, at this late date, it would be possible to persuade
Kodak to divulge the formula for Technidol.

Hmm; Richard M? Any thoughts?

Old October 30th 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 10/30/2009 8:17 AM Thor Lancelot Simon spake thus:

I wonder whether, at this late date, it would be possible to persuade
Kodak to divulge the formula for Technidol.

Sorry, wrong newsgroup; that should be Richard *K*. (M is a guru from
another NG.)

Old October 30th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Thor Lancelot Simon" wrote

I wonder whether, at this late date, it would be possible to persuade
Kodak to divulge the formula for Technidol.

That would be lovely.

Whatever it is, it isn't POTA, more like H&W Control. The ingredients:

1) Diethylene Glycol:
diluent

2) Hydroquinone:
developing agent

3) Diethanolamine sulfur dioxide complex:
alkali/activator?
Carbonate substitute? Kodak loves the stuff.

4) Tris (1-methylethyl) naphthalene sulfonic acid sodium salt:
wetting agent/developing agent(?)

5) 1-Phenyl-4, 4-dimethyl-3-pyrazolidinone:
AKA Dimezone, phenidone-like developing agent

I am taking a guess at the reasons for the DEA-SO2 and naptha-sulfonic salt.
Anyone with any more clues?
--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Old October 30th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

3) Diethanolamine sulfur dioxide complex:
alkali/activator?
Carbonate substitute? Kodak loves the stuff.

4) Tris (1-methylethyl) naphthalene sulfonic acid sodium salt:
wetting agent/developing agent(?)

I wonder if this last one is even available any more. Eastman Chemical
used to make a lot of stuff strictly for in-house use...

Thor