Should I buy the D80 or wait for the D300?

Old November 18th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Should I buy the D80 or wait for the D300?

I sold my D70...

I have lots of Nikon lenses so I will stay with Nikon, but which one...

Now the 300 costs twice the 80, but is it worth it?

Any reasons you have for picking one over the other would be appreciated!

I'm going to have to make a comparison list, and see if the pros outweigh the
cons for either choice.

thanks!

Old November 18th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Schmittenhammer

wrote:
I sold my D70...

I have lots of Nikon lenses so I will stay with Nikon, but which one...

Now the 300 costs twice the 80, but is it worth it?

Any reasons you have for picking one over the other would be appreciated!

I'm going to have to make a comparison list, and see if the pros outweigh the
cons for either choice.

thanks!

With the question "is it worth it", means you are like most of us,
not loaded with money. That is a question only YOU can answer. I am
average, so with my opinion and $1.50 you can buy a cup of coffee.
I have two D70's, maybe I bought yours on E-bay. A backup for doing
weddings. Ah weddings, not all that fun, but pay for the DSLR habit.
I will almost surely buy a D300. My reasons, first and most: the
color histogram, not just the green channel. I have had to correct way
to many shots, relying on the D70 histogram. Second, the larger LCD
monitor, better 'chimping'. Can't really understand why I would use the
'LIVE VIEW' but maybe I will. A few on this NG poke fun at Ken
Rockwell, but again my opinion, I think he gives good reasons for and
against purchasing the D300.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300.htm
Old November 18th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Schmittenhammer

wrote:
[...]

Also:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/is-it-worth-it.htm
Old November 18th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

wrote:
Now the 300 costs twice the 80, but is it worth it?

That is the eternal question that only _YOU_ can answer because nobody else
knows your needs, desires, dreams, and check book.

jue

Old November 18th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
acl

On Nov 18, 4:53 am, Wolfgang Schmittenhammer
wrote:

I will almost surely buy a D300. My reasons, first and most: the
color histogram, not just the green channel. I have had to correct way
to many shots, relying on the D70 histogram. Second, the larger LCD
monitor, better 'chimping'. Can't really understand why I would use the
'LIVE VIEW' but maybe I will. A few on this NG poke fun at Ken
Rockwell, but again my opinion, I think he gives good reasons for and
against purchasing the D300.http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300.htm

If those are your only reasons, why not a D80? It also has colour
histograms and a bigger LCD, and it's a lot cheaper. Or a used D200,
for that matter. But the D300 does have better AF (more points and
presumably faster, if it's the same as the D3), and I imagine lower
noise. And larger buffer than the D80. The live view should be useful
for shots from awkward angles (I think it can zoom in for focusing,
which is useful for macro, too).

As for me, I'll wait for a few more generations to upgrade my D200;
live histogram (preferably with real-time indications of over- and
under-exposure overlaid in the viewfinder, electronic or optical), an
articulated LCD and more than 20 megapixels should do the trick. Since
all these (minus the megapixels) can be trivially implemented on EVFs
(and currently are, even in older cameras like a minolta z3), I don't
think it'll take more than a couple of generations to integrate them
into dslrs (or get rid of mirrors and prisms in favour of high-
resolution, fast evfs).
Old November 18th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Douglas[_4_]

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 20:06:20 -0500, BobF wrote:

I sold my D70...

I have lots of Nikon lenses so I will stay with Nikon, but which one...

Now the 300 costs twice the 80, but is it worth it?

Any reasons you have for picking one over the other would be
appreciated!

I'm going to have to make a comparison list, and see if the pros
outweigh the cons for either choice.

thanks!

D80 is not in the class of a D300. Consider that the D300 is a
replacement for the D200 and what you choose to do with the D80 is
entirely irrelevant.

Douglas

--
If you don't defend your rights... You end up without any!
Old November 18th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

wrote in message
news

I sold my D70...

I have lots of Nikon lenses so I will stay with Nikon, but which one...

Now the 300 costs twice the 80, but is it worth it?

Any reasons you have for picking one over the other would be appreciated!

I'm going to have to make a comparison list, and see if the pros outweigh
the
cons for either choice.

thanks!

There is a definitive answer and it is:

If you have to ask then you most certainly do not need the D300.

Cheers.

Pete

Old November 18th 07, 09:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gary Kendrick

On 11/18/07 12:19 AM, in article
, "Pete D"
wrote:

wrote in message
news

I sold my D70...

I have lots of Nikon lenses so I will stay with Nikon, but which one...

Now the 300 costs twice the 80, but is it worth it?

Any reasons you have for picking one over the other would be appreciated!

I'm going to have to make a comparison list, and see if the pros outweigh
the
cons for either choice.

thanks!

There is a definitive answer and it is:

If you have to ask then you most certainly do not need the D300.

Cheers.

Pete

Dpreview listed the CON's for the D80 as the following
High sensitivity (ISO) noise levels higher than Canon EOS 400D
Noise reduction can be intrusive, although adjustable, more grain-like
appearance
Default sharpness level perhaps still a little conservative
Disappointing automatic white balance performance in incandescent light
No RAW adjustment with supplied PictureProject, only simple conversion
Limited image parameter adjustment (especially for color saturation)
Slower maximum shutter speed (1/4000 vs 1/8000 sec) compared to D70/D70s

The price though is about half of the new D300. How bad do you want that
extra 2MP and LiveView? Right now Olympus has the best LiveView out there
the way their screen revolves around to allow flexible viewing.

My suggestion (used to be Nikon user now Canon) go with the D80 it has great
feedback scores, they already have the bugs worked out where as the D300
will be like experimental for a little while. Greatest factor to consider
is for that extra $900.00 that you would pay for the D300 body you could buy
you one killer Lens or two good lens to go with your D80 and that's really
worth a lot if you don't have all your lens already. Go for a ultra wide.
angle say 10-22mm or maybe a 300+mm lens to supplement your equipment.

That's just my opinion which isn't worth as much as a gallon of milk these
days. Good Luck. As for me I'm planning to purchase a Full Frame Sensor
model to replace my Canon 10D.

Old November 18th 07, 10:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Angus Manwaring

On 18-Nov-07 09:52:41, Gary Kendrick said
On 11/18/07 12:19 AM, in article
, "Pete D"
wrote:

My suggestion (used to be Nikon user now Canon) go with the D80 it has great
feedback scores, they already have the bugs worked out where as the D300
will be like experimental for a little while. Greatest factor to consider
is for that extra $900.00 that you would pay for the D300 body you could buy
you one killer Lens or two good lens to go with your D80 and that's really
worth a lot if you don't have all your lens already. Go for a ultra wide.
angle say 10-22mm or maybe a 300+mm lens to supplement your equipment.

I'm probably wrong but I had an idea that the D80 needed its own
particular lenses for autofocus and stuff. Obviously worth being sure
about that.

Also didn't the D70 have a better flash synch speed?

All the best,
Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html