Elementary questions on film handling.

Old November 4th 05, 09:43 AM
Liopleurodon

Default Elementary questions on film handling.

Hi all,

I'm just starting out on the B&W develope and process road, and am slowly
gathering the gear to start a basic darkroom.

Everything I've read states that unexposed film (I'll be using B&W 35mm)
needs to be handled in complete darkness, you can't even use a safelight
with it. So I have to practice loading the bulk film loader and then the
developing tank in complete darkness.

My two questions a

Has anyone found a way of not doing this in complete darkness, eg.
night-vision, infra-red or special safelight filter?

When handling the film, how important is it to keep your fingers off the
actual film face? Obviously handling on the edges would be better, but in
complete darkness with my clumsy fingers, I can imagine when loading the
developing reel I'm gonna grab the film face at least once.Would this ruin
that patch, or is it ok as long as the touch is light?

With thanks.

--
Richard "Productively wasting time"

If replying directly, remove "aqua".

-----

Old November 4th 05, 10:10 AM
David Nebenzahl

Liopleurodon spake thus:

I'm just starting out on the B&W develope and process road, and am slowly
gathering the gear to start a basic darkroom.

Everything I've read states that unexposed film (I'll be using B&W 35mm)
needs to be handled in complete darkness, you can't even use a safelight
with it. So I have to practice loading the bulk film loader and then the
developing tank in complete darkness.

My two questions a

Has anyone found a way of not doing this in complete darkness, eg.
night-vision, infra-red or special safelight filter?

Nope, at least not for the type of film you'll probably be using, which
is referred to as panchromatic (meaning sensitive to all colors). You
can use a safelight with some orthochromatic film, which isn't [as]
sensitive to certain colors, but what you heard is true: *any* light
will fog the (pan) film.

When handling the film, how important is it to keep your fingers off the
actual film face?

Pretty important: skin oils can interfere with development and leave an
ugly impression on the image.

Relax; it sounds like you have the same jitters everyone has before they
actually handle film. There's an easy way to avoid all the potential
problems you're imagining: practice. Use some spare film and practice
Old November 4th 05, 10:20 AM
Keith Tapscott

You really have to load and unload film in total darkness and you will need
plenty of practice to get it right, I personally prefer to buy 135 film in
36 exposure rolls. There may be a chance of scratching the emulsion with
bulk film loaders if it is not done carefully.
It is very important not to touch the emulsion with your fingers as there
may be smears on the film which come from the natural oils in your skin,
this can show up when enlargements are made.
Using a bulk film loader would be better once you become more familiar with
Unless you are going to be shooting and processing a great deal of films, I
would shelve the bulk loader and buy film in 36 exposure or 24 exposure
rolls, despite the slightly higher cost the convenience far out weighs the
hassle of using a film loader.

Old November 4th 05, 05:21 PM
Rod Smith

In article ,
"Keith Tapscott" writes:

Using a bulk film loader would be better once you become more familiar with

I concur. For somebody just getting started in darkroom work, it's
probably best to begin with pre-rolled film. It is admittedly more
expensive in the long run, but there's enough to learn about processing
film without complicating matters from the start with the bulk-loading
step. If you (the OP, that is) are concerned about cost, you can put bulk
film on a developing spool and processing it.

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Old November 4th 05, 11:49 AM
Gilbert

Has anyone found a way of not doing this in complete darkness, eg.
night-vision, infra-red or special safelight filter?

Yes. Look at this thread :
http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...night+vi sion

When handling the film, how important is it to keep your fingers off the
actual film face? Obviously handling on the edges would be better, but in
complete darkness with my clumsy fingers, I can imagine when loading the
developing reel I'm gonna grab the film face at least once.Would this ruin
that patch, or is it ok as long as the touch is light?

Fingerprints from loading modern film onthe spool don't show when
developed immediately afterwards. The developer is alkaine which seems
to dissolve the skinoil. But IR film does show the fingerprints.

Gilbert
Gilbert

_____________
http://www.apug.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Fans van films
Old November 4th 05, 06:34 PM
Francis A. Miniter

Gilbert wrote:

Has anyone found a way of not doing this in complete darkness, eg.
night-vision, infra-red or special safelight filter?

Yes. Look at this thread :
http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...night+vi sion
snip

Gilbert

The only light that I have heard to be safe during development of
panchromatic is in the following situation. When developing sheet film
(don't try this with 35 mm film, it is too small to inspect properly),
after the film has been in the developer bath for about 3/4 of the
allotted time, you may hold it up briefly in front of a dim, dark green
safelight for purposes of inspection of the degree of contrast obtained.

Francis A. Miniter
Old November 5th 05, 10:47 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in
message ...
Gilbert wrote:

Has anyone found a way of not doing this in complete
darkness, eg. night-vision, infra-red or special
safelight filter?

Yes. Look at this thread :
http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...night+vi sion
snip

Gilbert

The only light that I have heard to be safe during
development of panchromatic is in the following situation.
When developing sheet film (don't try this with 35 mm
film, it is too small to inspect properly), after the film
has been in the developer bath for about 3/4 of the
allotted time, you may hold it up briefly in front of a
dim, dark green safelight for purposes of inspection of
the degree of contrast obtained.

Francis A. Miniter

This is based on the fact that the dark adapted eye is
most sensitive to blue-green light so the light can be the
dimmest possible. Also, most panchromatic dyes have a dip at
about the same color, some modern films, like T-Max, do not.
The use of the light during development also counts on the
fact that the emulsion is substantially desensitized by the
development process. Nonetheless only very weak light can be
used for a few seconds without danger of fog. That's why
Kodak wants you to wait until development is three quarters
done.
I believe that IR light with IR goggles are used in some
film manufacturing plants, mainly for trouble shooting. Most
panchromatic films have little or no IR sensitivity. This is
really not practical for home use.
The first film I ever developed, some 55 years ago, was
orthochromatic, probably the old Verichrome. It was done
under a "ruby lamp" a small red light bulb. Those starting
out now will never know the thrill of seeing the image come
up on the film (it seemed to take forever) because there is
little ortho film made now.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old November 4th 05, 01:25 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Liopleurodon wrote:
Hi all,

I'm just starting out on the B&W develope and process road, and am slowly
gathering the gear to start a basic darkroom.

Everything I've read states that unexposed film (I'll be using B&W 35mm)
needs to be handled in complete darkness, you can't even use a safelight
with it. So I have to practice loading the bulk film loader and then the
developing tank in complete darkness.

My two questions a

Has anyone found a way of not doing this in complete darkness, eg.
night-vision, infra-red or special safelight filter?

I once went to the Kodak Kodachrome processing plan in Fair Lawn, New
Jersey. Recall that Kodachrome had an EI of 25 and 64. After I went there, I
believe they came out with some with an EI of 200, but that may be my memory
playing tricks with me.

They had a safelight up in the corner of the room right near the ceiling. I
believe it was a #3 or a #13. Anyhow, it was a dark green one, so dim all it
was bright enough for is to see where it was. They said this was to help you
orient yourself in the room. Normally, it was turned off.

Anything else they worried would fog film. And we are talking about slow
film here.

So no safelight for normal film. I do use Kodak OrthoLith film where a #1
red safelight with this, but it is insensitive to red. I often use it like
paper in my enlarger, and the red light helps me find the easel to put it
in. It would be better if the film had notches so I could tell the emulsion
side, but it does not. So I do like with color RC paper. I swish my dry
thumb ever so gently over it and listen. The emulsion side sounds a bit
different from the reverse.

If you can get a roll of outdated 35mm film cheap (really cheap), you might
practice with putting it into the film loader with the lights on, then with
a dim safelight, then in the dark. The main thing to watch out for is that
this stuff comes on a little plastic core that will fall out if you are not
careful. It may be that it is OK if the core falls out, but I like to keep
it in. It is not a spool with sides. But once it is in the loader, you can
do everything else with the lights on. I use an 0C safelight, but I am
probably being paranoid about this.

When handling the film, how important is it to keep your fingers off the
actual film face? Obviously handling on the edges would be better, but
in complete darkness with my clumsy fingers, I can imagine when loading
the developing reel I'm gonna grab the film face at least once.Would this
ruin that patch, or is it ok as long as the touch is light?

You should not touch the area where the image is going to be. But when
because you will be touching the leader, and you will not be exposing images
there. You should wash the chocolate syrup, or salad oil, off your hands,
etc., before doing this, but otherwise, normal care should suffice.

^^-^^ 07:10:00 up 26 days, 6:33, 4 users, load average: 4.29, 4.18, 4.06
Old November 4th 05, 01:59 PM
Gregory Blank

In article ,
"Liopleurodon" wrote:

Hi all,

I'm just starting out on the B&W develope and process road, and am slowly
gathering the gear to start a basic darkroom.

Everything I've read states that unexposed film (I'll be using B&W 35mm)
needs to be handled in complete darkness, you can't even use a safelight
with it. So I have to practice loading the bulk film loader and then the
developing tank in complete darkness.

My two questions a

Has anyone found a way of not doing this in complete darkness, eg.
night-vision, infra-red or special safelight filter?

You could certainly use night vision goggles, certain older emulsions
will tolerate the use of a dark green safe light for short durations.
The safe light is used for development inspection after the film has been
shot and is in the developer.

When handling the film, how important is it to keep your fingers off the
actual film face?

Its a very good idea not to touch the film, but unless your really man
handling it the places you touch probably won't appear on the final
product.

Old November 4th 05, 05:05 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Liopleurodon" wrote

Has anyone found a way of [handling film] not doing
this in complete darkness

Doing it in the dark is no problem after you get the knack,
there is a bumper sticker there somewhere. Get a few rolls
of expired/trashed/cheap film and practice in the daylight/
with eyes closed/in the dark until you get it. If it is
not going well, put it away and try again in a few hours/days
- sometimes the film, she justa don' wanna go.

Sweat will mark the film: keep a towel handy to keep hands
dry. If it is hot and sticky a fan can be a help.

With 35mm film there is _no_ reason to have to touch the
film face.

Most find the plastic Paterson reels to be easier to load
when starting out.

Some find that keeping the film in the cassette when loading
helps. Pull the tongue out with a 'leader retriever' or by
popping the cassette open, pulling the tongue and slipping
the spool back into the opened cassette.

If your camera winds the film 'backwards' [most manual
load 35mm cameras] and the film has been in the camera
for a while then it will take a reverse set and be hard
to load and handle. You may want to let the film rest in
the cassette for a few days or load the film from the
cassette

There are a few gadgets around to make loading film on
the reels supposedly easier. I have never tried them.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com