A620 vs A630, A640: different sensor?

Old October 4th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default A620 vs A630, A640: different sensor?

I need to replace my broken A620. Reviews and galleries for the A630,
A640 and A710IS show a significant difference in noise; my A620 is
about 2x noisier. Pics taken with an A630 or A640 at ISO400 compare
with my A620 at ISO200, noise-wise; same with A630/A640@ISO800 vs.
A620@ISO400 (equally unusable!)
Any input? Are these different sensors?
How about the A710IS?
Thanks.

Old October 6th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DHB

On 3 Oct 2006 19:22:56 -0700, wrote:

Just a comment, the A640 is compatible with PSRemote,
which is useful for making time lapse movies, whereas
the A630 is not.

The A630 "was" a consideration as an addition to my A95 & A610
but Canon again decided to exclude the above feature in the A630(8MP)
but included it in the A640(10MP) just as they did with the A610 &
A620. Sorry Canon choose to remain in the MP war & omit this feature
from the A630. The 8MP 1/1.8" sensor may have been tolerable for my
needs if set to it's lowest ISO, but the 10MP A640 is just a waste for
my needs.

wrote:
I need to replace my broken A620. Reviews and galleries for the A630,
A640 and A710IS show a significant difference in noise; my A620 is
about 2x noisier. Pics taken with an A630 or A640 at ISO400 compare
with my A620 at ISO200, noise-wise; same with A630/A640@ISO800 vs.
A620@ISO400 (equally unusable!)
Any input? Are these different sensors?
How about the A710IS?
Thanks.

The A610, A620, A630 & A640 all have the same "physical" size
sensor, 1/1.8" but each has increasingly greater resolution.
Additionally it looks to me like Canon may be doing more in-camera
image processing to control image noise @ all ISO settings with these
3 new cameras. This may be OK for many but I find the effect
undesirable for my needs. The effect seems most noticeable on the
reds in the sample pictures, here's an example:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/img_0004.jpg

Also did you notice that even Canon's own sample pictures have
been processed through Adobe PS CS on a Mac? Presumably all they did
was reduce file size but even that makes direct comparisons of little
use. Note they opted to do this with the A630, A640 & A710 IS.

Check it out for yourself:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=113

For my needs the larger 2.5" swivel LCD would have been nice
but for the reasons already stated, I'm no longer interested in these
models. For many, I am sure these cameras would meet their needs just
fine & the image noise/issues would likely clean up nicely in post
processing but it's just not for me.

Before I get flamed for being anti-Canon, let me state that I
like most Canon products, own several & have given several to family &
friends.

These include the following cameras:

P&S: G2, A40, A60, A70, A95, A510, A610, S300, S330
DSLR: 300D & 30D

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Sensors measekite Digital Photography 49 September 29th 06 09:15 PM
What compact digicam has the biggest CCD pixels? Paul Rubin Digital Photography 123 May 5th 05 04:28 AM
[LONG] Theoretical estimates for film-equivalent digital sens Ilya Zakharevich Digital Photography 52 April 9th 05 09:06 AM
Foveon to rock the DSLR world again, with 16.8MP sensor. Orville Wright 35mm Photo Equipment 99 June 29th 04 10:05 AM