The "metal chassis" scam

Old September 20th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default The "metal chassis" scam

I've noticed alot of mfgs, stung by criticism of their plastic camera
bodies, have been touting
"metal chassis" or "s/s chassis." My question to them is, what good is
it if the body, the thing
that protects the insides, keeps them clean and keeps light out is
cracked or smashed, as plastic has a disturbing tendency to do when you
drop or even bump it hard? Also, for consumers, do you REALLY think
you'll be repairing a plastic-shelled entry-level DSLR? Unlikely,
since any repair of a bad body break is going to cost at least 2/3rds
as much to fix as a brand new body costs to buy. The mfgs might as
well have made the internals out of plastic as well. At least it would
have kept the cost of production and the weight even lower than it is.

Old September 20th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill

"RichA" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've noticed alot of mfgs, stung by criticism of their plastic
camera
bodies, have been touting
"metal chassis" or "s/s chassis

Dang operating system changes...

PLONK

Old September 20th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Randall Ainsworth

In article .com,
RichA wrote:

I've noticed alot of mfgs, stung by criticism of their plastic camera
bodies, have been touting
"metal chassis" or "s/s chassis." My question to them is, what good is
it if the body, the thing
that protects the insides, keeps them clean and keeps light out is
cracked or smashed, as plastic has a disturbing tendency to do when you
drop or even bump it hard? Also, for consumers, do you REALLY think
you'll be repairing a plastic-shelled entry-level DSLR? Unlikely,
since any repair of a bad body break is going to cost at least 2/3rds
as much to fix as a brand new body costs to buy. The mfgs might as
well have made the internals out of plastic as well. At least it would
have kept the cost of production and the weight even lower than it is.

What is your obsession with plastic? Jeez...get a new one trick pony...
Old September 20th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article .com,
RichA wrote:

I've noticed alot of mfgs, stung by criticism of their plastic
camera

have kept the cost of production and the weight even lower than it
is.

What is your obsession with plastic? Jeez...get a new one trick
pony...

Maybe he likes some plastic toys?

Heh...

Old September 20th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tom Ross

On 19 Sep 2006 16:46:40 -0700, "RichA" wrote:

I've noticed alot of mfgs, stung by criticism of their plastic camera
bodies, have been touting
"metal chassis" or "s/s chassis." My question to them is, what good is
it if the body, the thing
that protects the insides, keeps them clean and keeps light out is
cracked or smashed, as plastic has a disturbing tendency to do when you
drop or even bump it hard? Also, for consumers, do you REALLY think
you'll be repairing a plastic-shelled entry-level DSLR? Unlikely,
since any repair of a bad body break is going to cost at least 2/3rds
as much to fix as a brand new body costs to buy. The mfgs might as
well have made the internals out of plastic as well. At least it would
have kept the cost of production and the weight even lower than it is.

Did you find another camera you're not going to buy?

TR
Old September 20th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
AustinMN

RichA wrote:
bla bla bla plastic blabla bla
yadda yadda yadda plastic
bub yub ipsum lorem plastic
etc...

Hey Rich, if we all chipped in and bought you a camera, would you shut
up about the plastic already? Or, as I suspect you are more likely to
do, would you abuse it until you finally got the plastic to fail, then
come harang us for years about it afterwards?

Who's for contributing to the
buy-a-plastic-DSLR-for-RichA-to-make-him-shut-up fund?

Austin

Old September 20th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Slack

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:54:59 -0700, AustinMN
wrote:

RichA wrote:
bla bla bla plastic blabla bla
yadda yadda yadda plastic
bub yub ipsum lorem plastic
etc...

Hey Rich, if we all chipped in and bought you a camera, would you shut
up about the plastic already? Or, as I suspect you are more likely to
do, would you abuse it until you finally got the plastic to fail, then
come harang us for years about it afterwards?

Who's for contributing to the
buy-a-plastic-DSLR-for-RichA-to-make-him-shut-up fund?

Austin

Nice thought, but let interject some reality here. A very similar thing
happened not so long ago on another ng (alt.mountain-bike) for an
emotionally unstable person like RIch. To make a long story short, he is
now doing time for kiddie porn... no lie.
--
Slack
Old September 20th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
AustinMN

wrote:

RichA wrote:
bla bla bla plastic blabla bla
yadda yadda yadda plastic
bub yub ipsum lorem plastic
etc...

Hey Rich, if we all chipped in and bought you a camera, would you shut
up about the plastic already? Or, as I suspect you are more likely to
do, would you abuse it until you finally got the plastic to fail, then
come harang us for years about it afterwards?

Who's for contributing to the
buy-a-plastic-DSLR-for-RichA-to-make-him-shut-up fund?

Austin

Nice thought, but let interject some reality here. A very similar thing
happened not so long ago on another ng (alt.mountain-bike) for an
emotionally unstable person like RIch. To make a long story short, he is
now doing time for kiddie porn... no lie.

I figured really doing so would be like giving gasoline to a
pyromaniac.

RichA: Do you have Asperger's Syndrome?

Austin

Old September 20th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
In article .com,
RichA wrote:

I've noticed alot of mfgs, stung by criticism of their plastic camera
bodies, have been touting
"metal chassis" or "s/s chassis." My question to them is, what good is
it if the body, the thing
that protects the insides, keeps them clean and keeps light out is
cracked or smashed, as plastic has a disturbing tendency to do when you
drop or even bump it hard? Also, for consumers, do you REALLY think
you'll be repairing a plastic-shelled entry-level DSLR? Unlikely,
since any repair of a bad body break is going to cost at least 2/3rds
as much to fix as a brand new body costs to buy. The mfgs might as
well have made the internals out of plastic as well. At least it would
have kept the cost of production and the weight even lower than it is.

What is your obsession with plastic? Jeez...get a new one trick pony...

Not as bad as your obsession with that phrase. Isn't overuse of
specific words something 3 year-olds do when they learn a new one?

Old September 20th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

wrote:

RichA wrote:
bla bla bla plastic blabla bla
yadda yadda yadda plastic
bub yub ipsum lorem plastic
etc...

Hey Rich, if we all chipped in and bought you a camera, would you shut
up about the plastic already? Or, as I suspect you are more likely to
do, would you abuse it until you finally got the plastic to fail, then
come harang us for years about it afterwards?

Who's for contributing to the
buy-a-plastic-DSLR-for-RichA-to-make-him-shut-up fund?

Austin

Nice thought, but let interject some reality here. A very similar thing
happened not so long ago on another ng (alt.mountain-bike) for an
emotionally unstable person like RIch. To make a long story short, he is
now doing time for kiddie porn... no lie.
--
Slack

And you knew this because....he was your roomate?