Got told, "No photos!" today

Old December 18th 10, 10:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ScotchBright[_2_]

Default Got told, "No photos!" today

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 15:35:31 -0800 (PST), Rich
wrote:

Someone drove their SUV through a window at a local shopping mall but
when I went to shoot, I was told by security that no photos were
permitted on the property. I was going to shoot from the street but
it was over 300ft away and I only had a wide angle on me. I could
have simply stepped back about 10ft from the guard, ignored him and
shot or hid behind a nearby parked car. He would have likely told me
to leave the place, which is no big deal, but I didn't want to get the
guy in trouble as he behaved in a civilized, controlled manner when
telling me no photos. At the same mall, about five years ago, they
were having a fashion show and I had my E-1 with me. Got told the
same thing, no photos, even though people had their camera phones out
and were taking shots. That is the Achilles heel of the big, black
DSLR, it is a target for every security zealot.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...TorontoNewHome

You could point out to them that there are many pocket size
cameras now that have the "superzoom" feature up to well over 10x
magnification, and many DSLR users are only using the kit lens with an
average of 3x magnification, and then they'll have to go nuts trying
to stop everyone with any kind of camera from taking any kind of
picture.
I was taking some shots in a local mall recently and I didn't
have any problem at all... but we're not THAT security paranoid yet in
Canada.