Nikon vs Canon and the whole dSLR thing

Old October 9th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Default Nikon vs Canon and the whole dSLR thing

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

D40(x) 400D D80 40D D300 5D

(with the exception of lack of live-view on the 5D, though presumably
the 5D II or whatever will have that).

I'm sure both companies would be able to produce reams of marketing
studies showing that their way is best, but who really knows.

Yes that's an accurate equation. Personally while I understand Canon's
approach, I think that they're missing out by not having a product that
directly goes up against the D40/D40x. There's a segment of the
population that looks only at price and think that Nikon's cheapest
D-SLR is equivalent to Canon's cheapest D-SLR. Nikon's going for the
K-Mart and Wal-Mart shoppers, and Canon's abandoned that segment, at
least for now.
Old October 9th 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , SMS
wrote:

The difference in cost between a D40x based system and a D80 based
system is not all that great when you remember that the bulk of the cost
will be in collecting lenses and other add-ons over the years.

that assumes they are going to buy more than one lens as well as other
stuff. i know a *lot* of people who have an slr (film or digital) and
have just one, *maybe* two lenses. that's the target market of the
d40/d40x, and a d80 is overkill. they don't need the extras.
Old October 9th 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Oct 8, 12:43 pm, nospam wrote:

the d300 has many advantages over the 40d, such as live view that can
autofocus, for example.

The 40D has at least one huge advantage over the D300.
You can buy a 40D today.
The D300 is currently vaporware.

Old October 9th 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Oct 8, 6:14 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:

I disagree that the 14-24/2.8 Nikkor will be optically worse
than Canon's 14/2.8 prime.

Oh Rita, you're just saying that because you're an idiot.

Old October 9th 07, 07:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

SMS wrote:
Daniel Silevitch wrote:

D40(x) 400D D80 40D D300 5D

(with the exception of lack of live-view on the 5D, though presumably
the 5D II or whatever will have that).

I'm sure both companies would be able to produce reams of marketing
studies showing that their way is best, but who really knows.

Yes that's an accurate equation. Personally while I understand Canon's
approach, I think that they're missing out by not having a product
that directly goes up against the D40/D40x. There's a segment of the
population that looks only at price and think that Nikon's cheapest
D-SLR is equivalent to Canon's cheapest D-SLR. Nikon's going for the
K-Mart and Wal-Mart shoppers, and Canon's abandoned that segment, at
least for now.

It's not just price - I wanted a minimum weight system, and the D40 saved
over 100g compared to the D80. Nikon also has at least one lightweight
IS/VR lens missing from the Canon line-up. (55 - 200mm VR). The $120
rebate was most welcome, though!

David

Old October 9th 07, 10:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Annika1980 wrote:
On Oct 8, 12:43 pm, nospam wrote:

the d300 has many advantages over the 40d, such as live view that can
autofocus, for example.

The 40D has at least one huge advantage over the D300.
You can buy a 40D today.
The D300 is currently vaporware.

Has Nikon ever failed to produce, on time, a camera that
has been announced?

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old October 9th 07, 11:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Ortt

I must say I like the pricing of Canon's 500/4L IS compared to Nikon's
pricing. Maybe it's because quality costs more? It seems Canon has
become
the K-Mart of photography.

Says someone who supports the company that released the D40

I can't believe how passionate people are about this!

Anyone who beleives one company is way ahead of the other is deluded (or an
idiot).

They are both excellent systems capable of delivering at the pinacle of the
field.

As is so often said, the photographer is far more important than the camera!

So let's forget the schoolyard mine's better than yours and get back to
facts.....

Old October 9th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

"John Ortt" wrote in message

I must say I like the pricing of Canon's 500/4L IS compared to Nikon's
pricing. Maybe it's because quality costs more? It seems Canon has
become
the K-Mart of photography.

Says someone who supports the company that released the D40

I can't believe how passionate people are about this!

Anyone who beleives one company is way ahead of the other is deluded (or
an idiot).

They are both excellent systems capable of delivering at the pinacle of
the field.

As is so often said, the photographer is far more important than the
camera!

So let's forget the schoolyard mine's better than yours and get back to
facts.....

The last thing on Rita's mind is facts. Why waste your time on that when you
can **** and moan you way to better trolling?

Old October 9th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message .uk...

It's not just price - I wanted a minimum weight system, and the D40 saved
over 100g compared to the D80. Nikon also has at least one lightweight
IS/VR lens missing from the Canon line-up. (55 - 200mm VR). The $120
rebate was most welcome, though!

Coming soon:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07...5and55-250.asp

OK, so it's a 55-250. Ya got me.

Old October 9th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

John Rethorst wrote:

Racing improves the breed. The competition between Canon and Nikon is a gift for
everyone who likes photography.

Where Canon is ahead of Nikon is at the high end (it _was_ way ahead
prior to the release of the Nikon D3). This happened because Canon
invested heavily in CMOS sensor technology, while Nikon was content to
use CCD sensors from Sony and its own LBCAST sensors.

Nikon seems to finally be getting its act together. The D3 is a good
start, but it's rather low resolution for a full frame professional
camera. Canon keeps forcing Nikon to play catch up on the pro side. For
years Nikon had no full frame at all. Now they have a $5000 12 megapixel
D3 while Canon has the 21 megapixel EOS-1Ds Mark III, albeit at a higher
price.

The other area where Nikon is playing catch-up is in lenses, but Nikon
seems content to cede the entire sports photography market to Canon.
Look at the pros at sporting events, it's a sea of big white lenses.
Again, Canon invested in Flourite technology, while Nikon uses ED glass
which is less sharp and has more chromatic aberration. Nikon also still
has many gaps in its lens line, especially at the amateur end. At the
professional end, some lenses aren't possible due to the limitations of
the Nikon mount.