Images, Photographs or pictures?

Old July 30th 07, 10:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
julian

Default Images, Photographs or pictures?

Yesterday I overheard someone describe the items they were selling
(framed pictures with poems superimposed) as "Images". I have always
considered an "Image" as the facsimile of a 3D scene which you see
when you look at a computer monitor and a Photograph as a positive
print of a scene. A picture as a rather loose description of anything
resembling - well, a picture.

As photography becomes more closely entwined with binary data files, I
thought a discussion as to the correct descriptions for the pictures
we take might be timely.

Many people posting to the "photo" groups have claimed in recent times
to have "seen" my photos. Presuming "photos" is an abbreviation of
Photograph, they have not. All they've seen is 640 pixel wide images
and these as we all know, can look vastly different from one monitor
to another. Is there any interest in this matter?

JA

Old July 30th 07, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Richard Polhill

Julian wrote:
Yesterday I overheard someone describe the items they were selling
(framed pictures with poems superimposed) as "Images". I have always
considered an "Image" as the facsimile of a 3D scene which you see
when you look at a computer monitor and a Photograph as a positive
print of a scene. A picture as a rather loose description of anything
resembling - well, a picture.

Do you, Doug? That's nice.

May I recommend a dictionary?

As photography becomes more closely entwined with binary data files, I
thought a discussion as to the correct descriptions for the pictures
we take might be timely.

Good for you.

Many people posting to the "photo" groups have claimed in recent times
to have "seen" my photos. Presuming "photos" is an abbreviation of
Photograph, they have not.

I'll wager they have according to the OED's definition of "photograph".

All they've seen is 640 pixel wide images
and these as we all know, can look vastly different from one monitor
to another. Is there any interest in this matter?

Not really, Doug.
Old July 30th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jul 30, 7:15 pm, Julian wrote:
Many people posting to the "photo" groups have claimed in recent times
to have "seen" my photos....
Is there any interest in this matter?

Forgive me for stating the obvious - it is up to the *vendor* to
display their chosen work in the best way possible, assuming a
reasonably calibrated screen. No rocket science there.

If they fail to do so, they wear the consequences. And if they screw
up and don't improve and/or don't listen, they will gain a richly
deserved reputation. Sound familiar?

So in essence, if the stuff you post doesn't represent your work, then
wtf did you post it for?

I was going to point to a classic image, here at:
http://www.ryadia.com/POD/June/2-06-07.htm
...to show an example of someone who doesn't have a decent screen and
can't see the mess they are making - but of course, it's been pulled.
(o; - but the irony is lost on Doug, methinks..)

So, yep, apart from all that, I'm with Richard.

No interest. (O;

Old July 30th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Jul 30, 5:15 am, Julian wrote:
I have always
considered an "Image" as the facsimile of a 3D scene which you see
when you look at a computer monitor and a Photograph as a positive
print of a scene.

Since you are the only one who thinks that way I guess it really does
suck to be you, D-Mac!

Old July 30th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

Julian quipped
ups.com:

Yesterday I overheard someone describe the items they were selling
(framed pictures with poems superimposed) as "Images". I have always
considered an "Image" as the facsimile of a 3D scene which you see
when you look at a computer monitor and a Photograph as a positive
print of a scene. A picture as a rather loose description of anything
resembling - well, a picture.

"A photograph (often shortened to photo) is an image created by light
falling on a light-sensitive surface . . ."

Your words from a post on April 18.

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any
thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that
is in the water under the earth:"

God, via translation (circa 1611) of a description of text divinely
engraved in stone shortly after Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt
around 1648 to 1400 BCE (the date is apparently not certain).

So either God was referring to a different definition of "image" than
your most recent one or He was giving everyone a very early warning
against making certain types of computer graphics.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Old July 30th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
UC

On Jul 30, 5:15 am, Julian wrote:
[...]

A 'picture' is a painting, and not an optical image.

Old July 30th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

On Jul 30, 4:30 pm, UC wrote:
On Jul 30, 5:15 am, Julian wrote:

[...]

A 'picture' is a painting, and not an optical image.- Hide quoted text -

If it is not an "optical image" then it must be made out of sound.
Sheesh.

WTF

Draco

Getting even isn't good enough.

It is imperative.

Old July 30th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
dmac

wrote in message
oups.com...

I was going to point to a classic image, here at:
http://www.ryadia.com/POD/June/2-06-07.htm
..to show an example of someone who doesn't have a decent screen and
can't see the mess they are making - but of course, it's been pulled.
(o; - but the irony is lost on Doug, methinks..)

You've lost the plot (AGAIN). Or did you never understand it in the first
place? Maybe you just thought you'd do a little "Doug bashing" for your own
amusement? I'll save you the trouble. The image is still on the site, just
archived with the rest for the 2 month period... DUH!

Compressing a 32 megabyte image down to a 720 pixel wide will often cause
clear steps in graduated areas of an image. Nothing to do with monitors...
But you'd never comprehend that, would you?

I believe you'd rather bash up on the image poster before admitting that old
CRT screen of yours is no match for basic (much less decent) LCD screens
like we use.

Just like the idiot you made out of yourself last night trying to score a
few points against me with the calendars... I guess you also lied when you
said you once worked at ASIC. Otherwise you'd have discovered the truth
about all those lies you posted about me but then... That's just your style,
isn't it?
http://www.ryadia.com/POD/July/31-07-07.htm

BTW. The Picture For The Day (POD) project is still going strong. Sorry to
disappoint you and your sheep, you had no success in getting rid of me there
either.

Doug

Old July 30th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jul 31, 8:46 am, "dmac" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

BTW. The Picture For The Day (POD) project is still going strong. Sorry to
disappoint you and your sheep, you had no success in getting rid of me there
either.

Doug

------------------

Just as an after thought... Have you ever bothered to read the index
to Photo Of The Day Mark?
Clear instructions in English are there... Every two months the images
will be archived.

If you intend to take me on, at least get it right or you'll continue
to make a fool out of yourself while providing more evidence of your
stalking. http://www.ryadia.com/POD/index.htm

Old July 31st 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Willarojo

"dmac" vehemently accused in
:

BTW. The Picture For The Day (POD) project is still going
strong. Sorry to disappoint you and your sheep, you had no
success in getting rid of me there either.

Doug

As I recall, you packed up your POS, oops, "POD" (more properly,
per Douggie himself, it should be PFTD... where'd the "O" come
from??), project yourself. Of course, you blamed your various,
self-inflicted enemies for ending your project.

And I quote:

My Photo For The day [sic] started on 22nd May.
It will end on 22 [sic] June. One month.

I thought it might attract some interest in Photography [sic] but
all it's
done is provide more opportunity for the bullies to cast
aspersions
and distract me from it's [sic] original purpose. [sic]
Photographic discussions.

Thanks to those who posted positive or constructive replies. An
early
death wish to the idiots and morons who decided to use it as a
another
reason to bully me.

I imagine Aus. Photo in particular but the rec group too, will
slow to
a trickle again as the bullies crawl back under their rocks and
wait
for their next victim.

Douglas

Quoting Douggie leaves me sic [sic] to my stomach.

Please note, 1-for-2 on proper use of "it's/its" in the quote
above, pretty good score for Douggie.

Please also note the "death wish" to all who "bullied" him.
Scoring off the chart in "Irony", not so well in "Sanity". Please
stay tuned for the swimsuit competition!

Willa
--
http://www.pbase.com/willarojo

“I came into this world, not chiefly to make this a good place to
live in, but to live in it, be it good or bad.”
Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

“We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph line from
Maine to Texas; but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing
important to communicate.”
Thoreau, Walden
******
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusional_disorder