Panasonic Lumix FZ20 w/ Manual Ext. Flash

Old July 8th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

Default Panasonic Lumix FZ20 w/ Manual Ext. Flash

On a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 in M manual setting, how do you override
the dimming "feature" on the viewfinder?

In manual mode, my FZ20 dims the viewfinder if you are way under
exposed. I guess this is intended to tell that user that the picture
will turn out dark. In only does this in manual mode, and if you open
up the aperture and/or lengthen shutter time, it brightens up fine.

I want to defeat this "feature" so that I can use my external flash in
manual mode.

It may be a nice failsafe feature for a novice, but I'd also be nice to
see what the heck is in the frame when using an external flash!
Old July 8th 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

Jim wrote:
On a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 in M manual setting, how do you override
the dimming "feature" on the viewfinder?

In manual mode, my FZ20 dims the viewfinder if you are way under
exposed. I guess this is intended to tell that user that the picture
will turn out dark. In only does this in manual mode, and if you open
up the aperture and/or lengthen shutter time, it brightens up fine.

I want to defeat this "feature" so that I can use my external flash in
manual mode.

It may be a nice failsafe feature for a novice, but I'd also be nice
to see what the heck is in the frame when using an external flash!

I use my FZ20 with an external flashgun in aperture-priority mode, setting
the gun to manual and using guide numbers. It seems to work OK, without any
of the "dimming" you mention. The gun should have a lower trigger voltage of
course, or you will blow the camera's internal wiring. Mine has a trigger
voltage of around 6.5 volts.

Dennis.

Old July 9th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

Dennis Pogson wrote:
Jim wrote:

[...]

I verified that my 285 had low voltage before using it. I did mess
around with it more and found that the aperture priority did give a
brighter display, but still not as bright as my old AGFA digital that
has a switch to brighten the display in low light settings.

BTW, first night out, I snapped this pic:
http://www.seattle-attorney.com/private/seattle.jpg
Old July 10th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Victek

"Jim" wrote in message
Dennis Pogson wrote:
Jim wrote:

[...]

There's an option in the Menu/Setup called "Monitor" where you can brighten
the screen. I know this is not exactly what you're looking for, but it
might help.

Old July 11th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

Victek wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message

Dennis Pogson wrote:

Jim wrote:

[...]

I found that, and tried it. No cigar. I guess I was hoping for a
feature similar to my old 1 meg AFGA that, in essence, amplified the
light in the display, to give you better viewing in a low light
situation. The Lumix will get a bit brighter, but not bright enough for
my liking.

My inquiry to Panasonic went unanswered...