Teleconverters and Canon 70-300, IS,f4-5.6 USM

Old November 24th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
U-Know-Who

Default Teleconverters and Canon 70-300, IS,f4-5.6 USM

Is there a teleconverter that will work with this lens?

Old November 24th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill

"U-Know-Who" wrote in message
Is there a teleconverter that will work with this lens?

The Canon brands will not, but you can probably find a third-party
model from Tamron or Sigma or Tokina that work, but you may not like
the image quality results with that lense.

Note that even with a 1.4x you will probably lose autofocus since the
teleconverter reduces the amount of light that hits the sensors,
although metering should still work. I would visit a camera shop and
try it out first to see if the results are worth it.

Old November 24th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

In article , Bill
wrote:

"U-Know-Who" wrote in message
Is there a teleconverter that will work with this lens?

The Canon brands will not, but you can probably find a third-party
model from Tamron or Sigma or Tokina that work, but you may not like
the image quality results with that lense.

Note that even with a 1.4x you will probably lose autofocus since the
teleconverter reduces the amount of light that hits the sensors,
although metering should still work. I would visit a camera shop and
try it out first to see if the results are worth it.

I tried a Kenko once, and it still allowed autofocus and metering, even
though it was 3x, but, as you noted, the image quality was pure crap.
I sold it within a week.
Old November 24th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

In article , Ken Lucke
wrote:

In article , Bill
wrote:

"U-Know-Who" wrote in message
Is there a teleconverter that will work with this lens?

The Canon brands will not, but you can probably find a third-party
model from Tamron or Sigma or Tokina that work, but you may not like
the image quality results with that lense.

Note that even with a 1.4x you will probably lose autofocus since the
teleconverter reduces the amount of light that hits the sensors,
although metering should still work. I would visit a camera shop and
try it out first to see if the results are worth it.

I tried a Kenko once, and it still allowed autofocus and metering, even
though it was 3x, but, as you noted, the image quality was pure crap.
I sold it within a week.

BTW, This was when I was in "really cheap mode". That mode no longer
exists on my selector dial. :^)

Additional caveat: ALL (and I do mean _ALL_) Kenko stuff that I've
ever seen is utter crap for a serious photographer. Run away. Far,
far away. As rapidly as possible. Don't even bother to glance over
your shoulder. Just run.
Old November 24th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Ken Lucke wrote:

In article , Ken Lucke
wrote:

In article , Bill
wrote:

"U-Know-Who" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

This is simply not true. The Kenko Pro 300 TCs have image quality
equal to the Canons. I know several people who use them, and I
use 1.4x and 2x Kenko Pro 300s and they produce extremely
sharp images on my 500 f/4 L IS and 300 f/4 L IS lenses.
e.g., see:

http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.bear

http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.bird

All images where a TC is listed are done with Kenko Pro 300s, and I
make wonderfully sharp 16x24 inch prints from the images. You'll also
note I have images done with stacked 1.4x and 2x TC (which still
auto focuses with a 1D Mark II body).

For the OP: your zoom is not high enough quality to benefit from a TC
in my opinion; you need fixed focal length lenses, which tend to be
sharper than zooms. Plus, on consumer bodies, you lose AF
a slower than f/5.6 (it is not due to light; it is due to the light
cone of the high f/ratio).

Roger
Old November 24th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

In article , change username to rnclark
wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:

In article , Ken Lucke
wrote:

In article , Bill
wrote:

"U-Know-Who" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Mine certainly didn't. I had the 300 DG Pro, and it stank with a
Capital "S". I threw away every single image that I ever took with it
in the week that I owned it. Perhaps I had a bad one, but nothing else
that I've ever tried with the Kenko branding was of good quality,
either.

I appreciate the counter experience, though - while I personally won't
consider using Kenko in the future due to my own experiences, I'll
remember that some others have had positive experiences.
Old November 24th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Ken Lucke wrote:

In article , change username to rnclark
wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:

In article , Ken Lucke
wrote:

In article , Bill
wrote:

"U-Know-Who" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

And what lens did you put a 3x TC on?
Old November 24th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

wrote:

[...]

A 400 L IS f2.8 (rented for the shoot), a 75-300 IS f4-5.6 (non-L), and
a 24-105L IS f4. All were equally horrible. Normal shots were crystal
clear and razor sharp. The ones with the TC were horribly lacking in
sharpness, even when it was clear that the focus was correct, and the
contrast sucked bigtime. I lost some very good pictures
[composition-wise] of some unusual Snowy Owl activity in our area (we
don't normally get them around here).

The ONLY thing I _did_ like about the Kenko was that it enabled the use
of a TC on some lenses that the Canon TCs don't (like the 24-105 -
which gave me "72-315" in an L rather than having to use the non-L
75-300). But as it didn't perform image-wise, it was a useless
benefit.

I'd really be interested to see some of the shots you describe from the
others that are actually using the Kenko 300. Got a pointer to any of
them? It really could be that I just had a horrible experience with a
bad unit.
Old November 24th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
G.T.

wrote:

[...]

I don't have any handy on this computer but my friends and family don't
notice any differences between my shots with a 70-200 f/4 L with or
without my Kenko 1.4x.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old November 25th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
moza_55

i dont have any idea about this .....