D50 vs D80 and D200 in low light

Old November 8th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tien

Default D50 vs D80 and D200 in low light

I had a D50 once but swapped it in for a D200 for various reasons. I
believe the D50 had nicer color and better grain when shooting handheld
in low light at 1600 ASA. Anyone else with this opinion? Considering
the smaller pixels on the D200, it would not seem surprising. I am
looking into getting a cheaper backup for the D200 for these low light
situations. Should I go with the D50 or D80? I have no experience
with the D80. Any thoughts appreciated.

Tien

Old November 8th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bmoag

I think you are in the minority on this one.

Old November 8th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
chasfs

According to DP Reviews tests, the D80 and D200 both have lower
luminance noise at 1600 than the D50.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/page18.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page17.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200/page21.asp
The graphs are not to the same scale so you have to look at them
carefully.
Peace,
-chasfs
http://chasfs.com

Old November 8th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

chasfs wrote:
According to DP Reviews tests, the D80 and D200 both have lower
luminance noise at 1600 than the D50.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/page18.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page17.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200/page21.asp
The graphs are not to the same scale so you have to look at them
carefully.
Peace,
-chasfs
http://chasfs.com

Sure with JPEG. Nikon woke up to the fuss made about noise, and did more
in-camera NR.
Old November 9th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Tien wrote:
I had a D50 once but swapped it in for a D200 for various reasons. I
believe the D50 had nicer color and better grain when shooting handheld
in low light at 1600 ASA. Anyone else with this opinion? Considering
the smaller pixels on the D200, it would not seem surprising. I am
looking into getting a cheaper backup for the D200 for these low light
situations. Should I go with the D50 or D80? I have no experience
with the D80. Any thoughts appreciated.

Tien

Tien,

Sensor analyses for a D50 and D200 are he

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...ensor_analysis

The read noise for both cameras is on the order of 7.4 electrons,

The the ISO at unity gain, shown at Figure 6 at:
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...el.size.matter

shows the D50 at ISO ~1500 versus the D200 at ISO 800.

So with raw files, which gets you to the sensor performance,
the D50 outperforms the D200 with its larger pixels.
Amateur astronomers have found the D50 to be a good performer
for astro photos.

Roger
Old November 9th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)"
wrote in message ...

Sensor analyses for a D50 and D200 are he

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...ensor_analysis

The read noise for both cameras is on the order of 7.4 electrons,

The the ISO at unity gain, shown at Figure 6 at:
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...el.size.matter

Any plans to analyze the D80? I'm curious to see the results.

Old November 9th 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Bill wrote:
"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote
in message ...

Sensor analyses for a D50 and D200 are he

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...ensor_analysis

The read noise for both cameras is on the order of 7.4 electrons,

The the ISO at unity gain, shown at Figure 6 at:
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...el.size.matter

Any plans to analyze the D80? I'm curious to see the results.

If someone wants to bring one by, or take the data for me.
I have data for a D70, I'll analyze when I get time.

It takes an hour or so to take the data, including some setup.
If interested, I can add it to a web page for instructions.
Then it takes me a couple of days of work analyzing the results,
so, having a real job, I can't do too many of these.

I'd also like to do the new Pentax and Sony. I'm also looking for
a 4 megapixel camera to fill in the hole in Figure 6.

I would also like to get a smaller pixel camera than the S70
(2.3 micron pixels) to see what happens at the low end.
The camera must have raw output.

Roger
Old November 9th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

Bill wrote:
[...]

If you lived locally I would be happy to bring around the Pentax.

D200 v. D2X [email protected] Digital Photography 5 May 16th 06 06:32 AM
20D vs D200 Bob Digital SLR Cameras 23 January 6th 06 11:55 PM
Nikon's D200 posted, and removed... D200, $1699 how about that... ThomasH Digital Photography 33 November 2nd 05 12:04 PM
D200 Rox-off Digital SLR Cameras 1 September 1st 05 12:59 PM
reflected light vs incident light metering Gordon Moat 35mm Photo Equipment 15 July 16th 04 12:27 AM