Cannon Power Shot S3i - unuseable LCD in bright light?

Old July 6th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Cannon Power Shot S3i - unuseable LCD in bright light?

Hello all,

I've narrowed my choice of next camera model down the either the Panasonic
DMC FZ-7 or the S3i and am leaning towards the S3i (wont go into the why's
here). My one major concern is that I have read dpreview.com forum posts
from owners of the Cannon model that the LCD display is hopeless in bright
sunlight (also posts in the same thread from other users that this is
bollox! ;o).

For the most part (at least with my old Minolta) I prefer to use the
viewfinder but the swivel screen on the Cannon seems that it might come in
useful in certain situations ..... but only if I can see the image,
obviously! ;o)

Anyone owe the S3i and had any difficulty using the LCD display in bright
light/sunlight?

TIA

BillL

Old July 6th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

BillL wrote:
Hello all,

I've narrowed my choice of next camera model down the either the Panasonic
DMC FZ-7 or the S3i and am leaning towards the S3i (wont go into the why's
here). My one major concern is that I have read dpreview.com forum posts
from owners of the Cannon model that the LCD display is hopeless in bright
sunlight (also posts in the same thread from other users that this is
bollox! ;o).

For the most part (at least with my old Minolta) I prefer to use the
viewfinder but the swivel screen on the Cannon seems that it might come in
useful in certain situations ..... but only if I can see the image,
obviously! ;o)

Anyone owe the S3i and had any difficulty using the LCD display in bright
light/sunlight?

It has adjustable brightness, with only two settings accessed via the
menu. I find that even the higher brightness setting is difficult to
see in bright sunlight. My S1 IS had a usable LCD. It's not that
the image disappears, but that sunlight seems to "wash" out the screen.
You can probably make out what's being shown. It's adequate for timer
shots.

I generally used the EVF when there was a lot of sun.

Old July 7th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

y_p_w wrote:
BillL wrote:
[...]

I have an A95. I use the viewfinder for shooting unless very close up.
Yes, the lcd washes out in bright sunlight. Like red eye, I accept it as
not what I would like, but something I can live with.
Dave Cohen
Old July 7th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I have had mine 2 weeks now and it was the 1st thing I noticed...it really
is a poor display - up in Cadair Idris this time last week I had my new S3
and my old
Lumix DMC-LC70 and in comparison the Canon was very poor. Thought I had
read most of the write ups to eliminate any cons about it but must say I
missed this one.
I tend to take most of my pics in this type of light so I am going to have
to get used to it I suppose..pity, it does not lend itself to composing the
shot very well.

(

Old July 7th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

BillL escribió:
Hello all,

I've narrowed my choice of next camera model down the either the Panasonic
DMC FZ-7 or the S3i and am leaning towards the S3i (wont go into the why's
here). My one major concern is that I have read dpreview.com forum posts
from owners of the Cannon model that the LCD display is hopeless in bright
sunlight (also posts in the same thread from other users that this is
bollox! ;o).

For the most part (at least with my old Minolta) I prefer to use the
viewfinder but the swivel screen on the Cannon seems that it might come in
useful in certain situations ..... but only if I can see the image,
obviously! ;o)

Anyone owe the S3i and had any difficulty using the LCD display in bright
light/sunlight?

I have the S3 and yes, the LCD can be difficult to see on bright light.
But then, you can use the electronic viewfinder, that has not that
problem, gives you a more natural position for taking pictures and even
has some improvements over the LCD, as a 3x3 grid that makes easier to
apply the one third rule.

--
Shevek
Old July 7th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Shevek wrote:
BillL escribió:
[...]

You can apply the grid to the LCD too. You can check off the
features you want for two EVF and two LCD modes. You can
decide to include the grid or live histogram.

Old July 7th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 18:52:57 +0200, Shevek wrote:

BillL escribió:
[...]

I would suggest you NEVER look thru a 5D viewfinder.

Your credit cards will suffer g

btdt

A 95
S2 IS
5 D

btw the LCD on the 5D is very hard to see in bright sunlight, too.

--

Scott in Florida