FZ20 vs. FZ15, or other?

Old October 15th 04, 10:42 AM
Pierre_Cat

Default FZ20 vs. FZ15, or other?

I will buy quite shortly a super zoom camera. Also I favor the FZ20
for my choice, some issues still make me unsure. And where I leave I
will not be able to return the camera in case I don't like it.

The first is of course the noise issue: although I don't mind about
the high noise level at ISO 400, and to a lesser extent at ISO 200,
the obvious noise that I can see in the skies samples at ISO 100 and
even 80 is a concern for me.

- Do you think that the FZ15 would be a better choice (money is not an
issue)?
I can't find resources to compare FZ15 et FZ20 noise level. And the
FZ3 with 3mp is noisy as well, so is the FZ15 better in this respect?

- Except the hot shoes flash, are there other restrictions of the FZ15
compared to the the FZ20? Is the body built quality the same? Is it of
the same size?

Are there good alternatives?
- Kodak? Olympus? Fuji?
- waiting for the Nikon 8800?

My main concerns are
- image quality (of course)
- SPEED of operation and burst mode performance
- telephoto range

Any inputs are welcomed.

P.
Old October 15th 04, 03:28 PM
Ian Tuomi

Pierre_Cat wrote:
- Do you think that the FZ15 would be a better choice (money is not an
issue)?

no.

I can't find resources to compare FZ15 et FZ20 noise level. And the
FZ3 with 3mp is noisy as well, so is the FZ15 better in this respect?

Oddly, I haven't seen much information online on the fz15, but since the
FZ-15 has 4Mp the noise is propably slightly smaller since every pixel
is getting slightly more light but I wouldn't base my choice on that.

- Except the hot shoes flash, are there other restrictions of the FZ15
compared to the the FZ20? Is the body built quality the same? Is it of
the same size?

It has only 4Mp, the focal length is 35-420 (versus 36-432 on the fz20,
small difference), and it doesn't record sound. Size seems to be the
same (according to dcresource), but I'm not sure about that. Both are
made of metal.

Are there good alternatives?
- Kodak? Olympus? Fuji?
- waiting for the Nikon 8800?

In this price range, I'd say this is the best choice. If price wouldn't
matter, I would propably buy the 8800 but It's double the price..

My main concerns are
- image quality (of course)
- SPEED of operation and burst mode performance
- telephoto range

The FZ-15 has good image quality for 5Mp. Steve's says that the lag with
AF is 6/10 seconds and pre-focused 1/10 seconds.

If you want more information check these out:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz20.html
http://dcresource.com/reviews/panaso...ew/index.shtml

Ian