OT Ransomware for everybody and, yes, Mac users, that includes you.

Old March 10th 17, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default OT Ransomware for everybody and, yes, Mac users, that includes you.

http://semiengineering.com/the-evolv...omware-threat/

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/...eports/roundup

Eric Stevens
Old March 10th 17, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

http://semiengineering.com/the-evolv...omware-threat/

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/...is/threat-repo
rts/roundup

complete non-issue for those with a good backup strategy, regardless of
platform.
Old March 10th 17, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-03-10 20:08:20 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

http://semiengineering.com/the-evolv...omware-threat/

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/...eports/roundup

The

solution is simple; DON'T USE TORRENTS!

Savageduck

Old March 10th 17, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

http://semiengineering.com/the-evolv...omware-threat/

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/...ysis/threat-re
ports/roundup

The solution is simple; DON'T USE TORRENTS!

torrents isn't the only vector for ransomware or malware.

people get freaked out about ransomware for some reason, even though a
hard drive failure is more likely to occur or a user ****-up, such as
deleting the wrong document by mistake.

the proper solution is have up to date backups, which will cover *any*
disaster

if ransomware does hit, there's also a bit of a thrill in telling the
scumbags to **** off and that you won't be paying *anything*.
Old March 10th 17, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I was lucky. Almost. Some guy from Microsoft called me to tell me
something was wrong with my computer and he'd fix it if I would allow
him access through TeamViewer.

i know someone who went along with it and installed whatever it was
they wanted (in a virtual machine, of course). he captured the network
traffic, obtained the scammer's ip address and os version, at which
point he proceeded to pwn *their* system.
Old March 11th 17, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 03/10/2017 06:17 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:42:30 -0800, Savageduck

On 2017-03-10 20:08:20 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

http://semiengineering.com/the-evolv...omware-threat/

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/...eports/roundup

The

solution is simple; DON'T USE TORRENTS!

I was lucky. Almost. Some guy from Microsoft called me to tell me
something was wrong with my computer and he'd fix it if I would allow
him access through TeamViewer.

Unfortunately, he had a strong Indian accent and I couldn't follow the
instructions and he finally gave up.

He must have fixed it anyway, though, because I haven't had any
problems since then.

The same guy called me. He wanted me to hold down the Win key and press
"R". I told him nothing happened. He had me bring up the run box and
type "regedit". I told him nothing happened. He went through these steps
several times, until I finally asked him if the fact that I run Linux,
not Windows might have something to do with it. He called me something
nasty in Hindi and hung up.

--
Ken Hart

Old March 11th 17, 04:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

I thought Apple IOS was ransomware?

as usual, you thought wrong.
Old March 11th 17, 08:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 10/03/2017 20:14, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

http://semiengineering.com/the-evolv...omware-threat/

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/...is/threat-repo
rts/roundup

complete non-issue for those with a good backup strategy, regardless of
platform.

I seem to recall reading that simply using Time Machine, which is
physically connected to my iMac, will be inadequate protection against a
ransomware attack.

Is that right?
Old March 11th 17, 10:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

nospam:
torrents isn't the only vector for ransomware or malware.

people get freaked out about ransomware for some reason, even
though a hard drive failure is more likely to occur or a user
****-up, such as deleting the wrong document by mistake.

the proper solution is have up to date backups, which will cover
*any* disaster

if ransomware does hit, there's also a bit of a thrill in telling
the scumbags to **** off and that you won't be paying *anything*.

Why on earth would you contact the scumbags to tell them anything?

The entire idea of ransomware is that they contact you and ask for money to
unlock your data.

--
Sandman
Old March 11th 17, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-03-10 20:58:20 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

http://semiengineering.com/the-evolv...omware-threat/

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/...ysis/threat-re
ports/roundup

The solution is simple; DON'T USE TORRENTS!

torrents isn't the only vector for ransomware or malware.

people get freaked out about ransomware for some reason, even though a
hard drive failure is more likely to occur or a user ****-up, such as
deleting the wrong document by mistake.

the proper solution is have up to date backups, which will cover *any*
disaster

if ransomware does hit, there's also a bit of a thrill in telling the
scumbags to **** off and that you won't be paying *anything*.

Awareness of common infection vectors for ransomware applies as much as
awareness of those for malware and phising attempts. Along with a sound
backup protocol, strong email filters help as well as maintaining
vigilance for obvious bait such as responding to offers of rewards from
name brand vendors, and missed messages or Fedex & UPS failed delivery
notices, all are toxic.

Savageduck