It hurts my eyes

Old October 23rd 15, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default It hurts my eyes

In article , Tony Cooper
says...

The grandsons played a team Sunday that wore bright magenta socks and
red helmets. I used my Passport ColorChecker and the colors came out
exactly as I remember them with no adjustments in LR other than
synching the color check shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7izn2nfpp...18-02.jpg?dl=0

Looks a bit desaturated and the colour balance is a bit cold.

By the way, poor kids who are forced to run around with a big helmet on
their head.
--
Alfred Molon

Old October 23rd 15, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

The grandsons played a team Sunday that wore bright magenta socks and
red helmets. I used my Passport ColorChecker and the colors came out
exactly as I remember them with no adjustments in LR other than
synching the color check shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7izn2nfpp...18-02.jpg?dl=0

Looks a bit desaturated and the colour balance is a bit cold.

you must be joking. if anything, it's oversaturated.
Old October 24th 15, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 10/23/15 PDT 5:02 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 17:28:19 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

The grandsons played a team Sunday that wore bright magenta socks and
red helmets. I used my Passport ColorChecker and the colors came out
exactly as I remember them with no adjustments in LR other than
synching the color check shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7izn2nfpp...18-02.jpg?dl=0

Looks a bit desaturated and the colour balance is a bit cold.

you must be joking. if anything, it's oversaturated.

To my eye, the colors are right-on to the colors on the field that
day. Those socks were *bright*! The blue of the other team is
dead-on.

The banner, on the east side of the field, was very shiny vinyl and
reflected the afternoon sun. light. Florida grass is not the darker
green seen up north and the sandy soil shows through on this very worn
field.

I didn't notice the guy in the red tee shirt at the game, so I don't
recall how bright that shirt was or wasn't.

I posted the photo because the colors look very saturated, but
actually were pretty true.

I got better action shots, but chose this one because it was the best
one of the players under the banner.

The problem with seeing a photo online and knowing if it's over- or
under-saturated is that you don't know that actual conditions.

As likely: Monitors differ.
Old October 24th 15, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

The grandsons played a team Sunday that wore bright magenta socks and
red helmets. I used my Passport ColorChecker and the colors came out
exactly as I remember them with no adjustments in LR other than
synching the color check shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7izn2nfpp...18-02.jpg?dl=0

Looks a bit desaturated and the colour balance is a bit cold.

you must be joking. if anything, it's oversaturated.

To my eye, the colors are right-on to the colors on the field that
day. Those socks were *bright*! The blue of the other team is
dead-on.

as i said, it's not desaturated. if anything it's oversaturated.

The banner, on the east side of the field, was very shiny vinyl and
reflected the afternoon sun. light. Florida grass is not the darker
green seen up north and the sandy soil shows through on this very worn
field.

I didn't notice the guy in the red tee shirt at the game, so I don't
recall how bright that shirt was or wasn't.

I posted the photo because the colors look very saturated, but
actually were pretty true.

I got better action shots, but chose this one because it was the best
one of the players under the banner.

The problem with seeing a photo online and knowing if it's over- or
under-saturated is that you don't know that actual conditions.

however, humans are very good at figuring out what's normal and what
isn't.
Old October 24th 15, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 10/23/2015 08:02 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 17:28:19 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

[...]

The other problem with posting a photo online is that you don't know how
everyone's monitor is set.

From years of portrait printing, I go first to the flesh tones. And the
flesh tones look good, except for "four fingers" in the center, which to
me looks a bit overexposed/under-saturated.

I take you at your word on Florida grass, because to me that also looks
a bit pale.

I like the sunlight effect on the shiny banner. Gives it some 'motion'.

Since your grandchildren are on this team, and as many photos as you
shoot of the games, I would think that your grandkids could hold up a
gray card before each play so you can balance the color correctly!

The bottom line is (a) it's a quite acceptable photo, and (b) the
parents of every kid in the photo want a copy.

--
Ken Hart

Old October 24th 15, 07:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Tony Cooper
says...

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 17:28:19 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

[...]

Looking now at the histogram of the image I see that the highlights are
blown. The histogram is heavily clipped to the right. The image is not
properly exposed.

By the way, my monitor is calibrated.
--
Alfred Molon

Old October 24th 15, 01:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Whiskers

On 2015-10-23, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
says...

The grandsons played a team Sunday that wore bright magenta socks and
red helmets. I used my Passport ColorChecker and the colors came out
exactly as I remember them with no adjustments in LR other than
synching the color check shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7izn2nfpp...18-02.jpg?dl=0

Looks a bit desaturated and the colour balance is a bit cold.

By the way, poor kids who are forced to run around with a big helmet
on their head.

That's so that no-one can see who it is who's wearing those ghastly
socks.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Old October 24th 15, 01:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Whiskers

On 2015-10-24, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 20:21:31 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

The problem with seeing a photo online and knowing if it's over- or
under-saturated is that you don't know that actual conditions.

however, humans are very good at figuring out what's normal and what
isn't.

How would anyone know what color socks or uniforms of football players
would be if "normal"?

Reminds me of the legend about the pioneer colour photography company
that ran into technical difficulties and employed people to hand-colour
all the prints ordered by their customers - one of whom was shocked to
see all the bright green post boxes in the Irish Republic had 'come
out' the same Post Office Red as the ones in England.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Old October 24th 15, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

The grandsons played a team Sunday that wore bright magenta socks and
red helmets. I used my Passport ColorChecker and the colors came out
exactly as I remember them with no adjustments in LR other than
synching the color check shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7izn2nfpp...18-02.jpg?dl=0

The problem with seeing a photo online and knowing if it's over- or
under-saturated is that you don't know that actual conditions.

however, humans are very good at figuring out what's normal and what
isn't.

How would anyone know what color socks or uniforms of football players
would be if "normal"?

who said anything about socks or uniforms?

there are skin tones, grass and a football in the photo, and humans
know what those are supposed to look like.

the whites in the sign and blacks in the pants also help.
Old October 24th 15, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

The other problem with posting a photo online is that you don't know how
everyone's monitor is set.

colour management takes care of that.