Manty Ellis

Old November 4th 15, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default Manty Ellis

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wiqbpnbecd...lis_L.JPG?dl=0

except for lowering the resolution to make the upload to Dropbox small

100% unedited
Old November 4th 15, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-11-04 04:00:04 +0000, philo said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wiqbpnbecd...lis_L.JPG?dl=0

except for lowering the resolution to make the upload to Dropbox small

100% unedited

Interesting character shot. This is where I believe some sort of B&W or
duotone treatment might change the mood.
I took the liberty, to make a few adjustments, if you disapprove I will
remove the folder from my DB.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0flt9yj0x2v503l/AACpey7rE3CmWXsm5KFpg4xKa?dl=0

Savageduck

Old November 4th 15, 07:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 21:27:23 -0800, Savageduck

On 2015-11-04 04:00:04 +0000, philo said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wiqbpnbecd...lis_L.JPG?dl=0

except for lowering the resolution to make the upload to Dropbox small

100% unedited

Interesting character shot. This is where I believe some sort of B&W or
duotone treatment might change the mood.
I took the liberty, to make a few adjustments, if you disapprove I will
remove the folder from my DB.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0flt9yj0x2v503l/AACpey7rE3CmWXsm5KFpg4xKa?dl=0

*Spot* the difference.

Eric Stevens
Old November 4th 15, 12:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 2015-11-04 04:00:04 +0000, philo said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wiqbpnbecd...lis_L.JPG?dl=0

except for lowering the resolution to make the upload to Dropbox small

100% unedited

Interesting character shot. This is where I believe some sort of B&W or
duotone treatment might change the mood.
I took the liberty, to make a few adjustments, if you disapprove I will
remove the folder from my DB.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0flt9yj0x2v503l/AACpey7rE3CmWXsm5KFpg4xKa?dl=0

No problem, that's why I put it up there.

As a mainly B&W photographer this is one for sure I prefer in color.

I am sure this is one I will be printing. I will more than likely blur
out the background but otherwise pretty much leave it alone.

One reason I posted it was to see if there was any objection to the
angle I shot at...and knowing this group...if there was...someone would
have mentioned it.

Way back in the early 70's when I was starting out I experimented with
"odd" angles but rarely got anything to give the dramatic effect I had
hoped for.

Eventually I learned that it was better to just get a good shot and stop
trying to be artsy.

However for this shot, rather than just shoot at some "odd"
angle...instead of lining up my camera to properly align the /person/ in
the image...instead I aligned my camera with the instrument.

Did a lot of that last night with good results.
Old November 4th 15, 12:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 2015-11-04 04:00:04 +0000, philo said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wiqbpnbecd...lis_L.JPG?dl=0

except for lowering the resolution to make the upload to Dropbox small

100% unedited

Interesting character shot. This is where I believe some sort of B&W or
duotone treatment might change the mood.
I took the liberty, to make a few adjustments, if you disapprove I will
remove the folder from my DB.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0flt9yj0x2v503l/AACpey7rE3CmWXsm5KFpg4xKa?dl=0

Different, but questionably an improvement. OK in black and white,
but the duo-tone places the visual emphasis on the guitar, not the
man. It's no longer a character shot.

Am I the only one who has never heard of Manty Ellis? I did look him
up and listened to a video of him. I like the sound, but it's a new
name to me.

He is (or was) well known in Milwaukee but unfortunately never became
too much known elsewhere.

He is as good or better than most any show I've seen in NY where I had
to pay $65 or more to get in.

He usually jams at a local art gallery/ music venue on Tue. nights with
NO admission fee.

Perhaps only a dozen people show up.

I will post an OT "rant" along with one other tidbit concerning
photography .
Old November 4th 15, 12:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 2015-11-04 04:00:04 +0000, philo said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wiqbpnbecd...lis_L.JPG?dl=0

except for lowering the resolution to make the upload to Dropbox small

100% unedited

Interesting character shot. This is where I believe some sort of B&W or
duotone treatment might change the mood.
I took the liberty, to make a few adjustments, if you disapprove I will
remove the folder from my DB.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0flt9yj0x2v503l/AACpey7rE3CmWXsm5KFpg4xKa?dl=0

*Spot* the difference.

The square crop does improve the image, IMO. The character in Ellis'
face is a bit lost in the small size of all of the images.

I don't understand why you had to reduce the size that much to get in
up in Dropbox.

I did not /have/ to reduce the image but don't make it a habit of
posting full res. images.

1) If someone steals it, they won't get it in it's full glory
2) I don't want to fill up my Dropbox limit
Old November 4th 15, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-11-04 04:00:04 +0000, philo said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wiqbpnbecd...lis_L.JPG?dl=0

except for lowering the resolution to make the upload to Dropbox small

100% unedited

Interesting character shot. This is where I believe some sort of B&W or
duotone treatment might change the mood.
I took the liberty, to make a few adjustments, if you disapprove I will
remove the folder from my DB.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0flt9yj0x2v503l/AACpey7rE3CmWXsm5KFpg4xKa?dl=0

Normally I like monochrome for character studies. The Doutone doesn't do
it for me, unless it was an ad for the guitar. In this case the angle
and the almost high key bring out his character.
But, that's just me.

--
PeterN
Old November 4th 15, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 11/04/2015 10:40 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:

I did not /have/ to reduce the image but don't make it a habit of
posting full res. images.

1) If someone steals it, they won't get it in it's full glory
2) I don't want to fill up my Dropbox limit

The problem with posting small images is that the intent is have the
people in this group view the images for constructive comments. Any
impact the image has can be lost if the image is too small.

I did preview it first and for viewing on-line it's fine..

The image I uploaded would not be good enough for a large print though,
I do understand that you don't want your images misappropriated, but
it's a two-edged sword when the impact on those who you want to view
the image is diminished.

You mentioned the angle in another post. I didn't give any
consideration to that. A somewhat tilted horizon bothers the hell out
of me, but a deliberate angle is completely acceptable. It's when the
photographer doesn't see the angle problem that grates.

That's kind of the reason I did not mention the angle on my first post...
just wanted to see if it grated on anyone's nerves and after 45 years of
doing photography...maybe I am beginning to catch on

I use Dropbox, but routinely purge older photos to keep under my
limit. The long-term keepers are in my SmugMug galleries.