What to carry by default.

Old August 28th 15, 05:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default What to carry by default.

Pablo:

There's only so much room in the camera bag.

In mine I have a Tamron SP90 2.5 for macro shots (with tube for 1:1)

A Sigma 10-20 4-5.6

A Tamron 180-300 4-5.6 kit lens (takes good landscapes)

A Samyang 85 1.4 (It's just so cute)

A Takumar SMC 55 1.8

A Vivitar 35 2.8

A Sigma DG 120-400 4.5-5.6 in a separate bag.

And I have a Helios 44M-4 58 2.0 in a drawer.

I regularly do comparisons between the Tak, Helios and Vivitar and can never
decide which is the best to carry as a "GP". The Vivitar has a wider angle
without visible barreling, but then I can use the Sigma WA for most of the
same stuff (although that does distort badly).

Horses for courses and all that, I know, but for someone with limited
ability and also limited appreciation like me, it's always a problem. I just
like to grab the bag and throw it in the car without having to first decide
what's the best lens to take.

Ok, just thinking out loud really, but I'd appreciate an opinion or 2.

Indeed. Here's one opinion: what works for you cannot be wrong--for you.

Me? When I take a camera out it's most often an iPhone. But if I'm
doing my thing, which is usually nature macrophotography, I take a
Canon body (5D Mk III or 6D) with battery grip, a Manfrotto
carbon-fiber tripod with ball head, a 100mm or 180mm Canon macro lens
(I use only Canon lenses on my Canon cameras), and possibly a 70-200
Ÿ2.8 zoom. A Canon macro ring lite and or one or two Profoto B1 500 Air
TTL studio strobes with a Profoto Air Remote TTL-C for wireless
triggering. A light stand or two and some shot bags to hold the light
stand(s) in place. Diet Mountain Dew.

Mostly, however, I work at home. I find an amazing variety of
arthropods on my two-acre lot
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/18768309452/. Some I
photograph in situ, some I bring inside
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/18783033861.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old August 28th 15, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-08-28 16:46:30 +0000, Davoud said:

Pablo:

[...]

I have equipment and glass I lust after, but realistically as a retired
hobbyist working within a budget the truly exotic remains on the wish
list and out of reach.

That said I am trying to lighten my load. I stopped lugging my old
80-400mm around years ago as it was disappointingly slow and an AF
hunter. I am using my D300S less and less, but there are events where
it is still my workhorse camera. Perhaps one of these days I might
consider replacing it.

My D300S (+battery grip) consists of:
Nikkor 18-200mm VRII,
Nikkor 70-300mm VR,
Nikkor 35mm f/2.0
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

....and there is my neck and back saver the Fujifilm X-E2 which is my
current walk-around machine. I have plans to expand its capability.

For that I have the XF35mm f/1.4 and the XF18-55mm f/2.8-4.0.
I plan to buy the XF18-135mm soon, and have the XF50-140mm f/2.8 and
when released the XF80-400mm f/4.0 on my wish list.

A Manfrotto, a Slik carbon fibre tripod, and a Slik carbon fibre
mono-pod remain handy.

Savageduck

Old August 28th 15, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 08/28/2015 01:59 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:21:56 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-08-28 16:46:30 +0000, Davoud said:

Pablo:

[...]

My 18-270 Tamron was a good walk-around lens, but my Tamron - like all
Tamron long zooms (according to what I've read) slips annoyingly when
I carry it. I use a Black Rapid strap, so the lens is always pointed
down when carrying. It slips out to the full extended length and
tends to bump into things. The lens will lock, but I prefer to have
it unlocked and ready.

My Nikon 55-300 does not slip, so I prefer to carry it even though I
have to back up quite a bit quite a bit of the time.

I typically carry about a dozen (or more) cameras, all with either 28mm,
35mm, or 50mm lenses mounted. I will pack all three Canon FL-mount
zooms: 55-135mm, 100-200mm, 85-300mm. For prime lenses: a couple 200mm,
500mm, 800mm, and 1200mm. The tripod is a Davis and Sanford "jawbreaker"
with a Majestic head.

But then my camera bag is a Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, so there's plenty
of room for gear!

--
Ken Hart

Old August 29th 15, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Ken Hart:
I typically carry about a dozen (or more) cameras, all with either 28mm,
35mm, or 50mm lenses mounted...

But then my camera bag is a Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, so there's plenty
of room for gear!

Ah, so! You don't carry *any* gear; your pickup carries it all. BTW, my
Prius could also carry all of the gear that you named, and maybe even a
bit more economically.

Old August 29th 15, 05:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-08-28 21:53:37 +0000, Ken Hart said:

I typically carry about a dozen (or more) cameras, all with either
28mm, 35mm, or 50mm lenses mounted. I will pack all three Canon
FL-mount zooms: 55-135mm, 100-200mm, 85-300mm. For prime lenses: a
couple 200mm, 500mm, 800mm, and 1200mm. The tripod is a Davis and
Sanford "jawbreaker" with a Majestic head.

But then my camera bag is a Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, so there's plenty
of room for gear!

My first observation is, you are not physically carrying all of this
stuff at once are you.

I can even understand the reluctance to change lenses in the field,
hence the plethora of bodies.

My question is, WTF are you shooting that requires a range of 28mm to
1200mm, and in reality what do you physically carry at one time?

Savageduck

Old August 29th 15, 01:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Tony Cooper:
Also in the car is a wheeled cart with a milk crate like [sic] box and a
plywood top that I fashioned. That contains other lenses and a second
body. I use the cart at baseball games where I need to have a
portable seat and access to the rest of my kit.

Oh, and a large bathtowel and a second shirt are in the box. The
towels is both for sweat and something to sit on for low shots. The
shirt is to have a dry one. A 12:30 PM game in Florida means a soaked
shirt by half time.

Ah, yes. I have encountered people in your unfortunate situation on the
streets of many cities. They have an amazing variety of items in their
swag (Aus-NZ sense), including cameras sometimes, though I would be
surprised if the cameras were in working condition.

"Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong
Under the shade of a coolibah tree,
And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled:
'Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda, with me?'"

Old August 29th 15, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article 201508282125129258-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
wrote:

I typically carry about a dozen (or more) cameras, all with either
28mm, 35mm, or 50mm lenses mounted. I will pack all three Canon
FL-mount zooms: 55-135mm, 100-200mm, 85-300mm. For prime lenses: a
couple 200mm, 500mm, 800mm, and 1200mm. The tripod is a Davis and
Sanford "jawbreaker" with a Majestic head.

But then my camera bag is a Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, so there's plenty
of room for gear!

My first observation is, you are not physically carrying all of this
stuff at once are you.

I can even understand the reluctance to change lenses in the field,
hence the plethora of bodies.

My question is, WTF are you shooting that requires a range of 28mm to
1200mm, and in reality what do you physically carry at one time?

he's a hoarder and he can't help it. he claims to own over 500 cameras.
Old August 29th 15, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 2015-08-28 21:53:37 +0000, Ken Hart said:

I typically carry about a dozen (or more) cameras, all with either
28mm, 35mm, or 50mm lenses mounted. I will pack all three Canon
FL-mount zooms: 55-135mm, 100-200mm, 85-300mm. For prime lenses: a
couple 200mm, 500mm, 800mm, and 1200mm. The tripod is a Davis and
Sanford "jawbreaker" with a Majestic head.

But then my camera bag is a Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, so there's plenty
of room for gear!

My first observation is, you are not physically carrying all of this
stuff at once are you.

I can even understand the reluctance to change lenses in the field,
hence the plethora of bodies.

My question is, WTF are you shooting that requires a range of 28mm to
1200mm, and in reality what do you physically carry at one time?

The answer to your question "WTF..." is "Anything I want!" Most of my
photos are some variation of landscape. I'm especially fond of water in
the photos.

As to "physically carry", that depends. If I can't carry a tripod, I
limit myself to about 200mm as a longest lens. The Davis & Sanford
tripod is heavy and clumsy to carry, but very sturdy. Usually I carry a
short, medium, and long lens, but the medium and long lenses may be one
zoom. So... 19mm and 55-135mm. Or 35mm and 85-300mm.

The 500mm and longer lenses only get carried to a "planned" location.

--
Ken Hart

Old August 29th 15, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Old August 29th 15, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-08-28 21:53:37 +0000, Ken Hart said:

[...]

I use one of these for anyplace I will need a tripod, a long lens, and
patience. I neatly carries all, including a light folding chair and
water. I bought it for about fifty bucks from Costco. It makes life real
easy.

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Tommy-Bahama-Deluxe-Wonder-Wheeler-All-Teraine-Beach-Cart-NEW/270860846?gpid=18283950120&gpkwd=&goog_pla=1&gclid =CKDf_qXuzscCFcsXHwoddboNUA

http://tinyurl.com/njeaj9j

--