Foxit Reader is EVIL

Old August 28th 15, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Foxit Reader is EVIL

If any of you have this PDF reader on your computer, and you find that
your computer is slowing considerably, I just spent a very long time
finding out that Foxit Cloud, a feature that came with the latest
update, has a serious flaw that drives the hard drive to 100% usage,
along with the memory up to about 96%, and essentially cripples your
PC. So if yours is slowing, and your HDD indicator light is staying
on, uninstall Foxit Cloud from control panel. I left the reader
installed, and everything is fine.
Old August 28th 15, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

If any of you have this PDF reader on your computer, and you find that
your computer is slowing considerably, I just spent a very long time
finding out that Foxit Cloud, a feature that came with the latest
update, has a serious flaw that drives the hard drive to 100% usage,
along with the memory up to about 96%, and essentially cripples your
PC. So if yours is slowing, and your HDD indicator light is staying
on, uninstall Foxit Cloud from control panel. I left the reader
installed, and everything is fine.

the latest update of what?
there was probably a checkbox somewhere that said install it, so it was
installed. next time, uncheck it.

the real question is why would anyone need a third party pdf reader.

windows users should install adobe acrobat reader.
mac users don't need to install anything since pdf is a native format.
Old August 28th 15, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/28/2015 3:42 PM, nospam wrote:

the real question is why would anyone need a third party pdf reader.

windows users should install adobe acrobat reader.

Last time I looked, Adobe Acrobat Reader was a third party program, on
Windows. Is it now part of the Windows operating system?

--
PeterN
Old August 28th 15, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

the real question is why would anyone need a third party pdf reader.

windows users should install adobe acrobat reader.

Last time I looked, Adobe Acrobat Reader was a third party program, on
Windows. Is it now part of the Windows operating system?

third party non-adobe pdf reader. happy now?

you just love to argue.

adobe created pdf, so obviously the pdf reader to get is from adobe.
anything else is a gamble.
Old August 28th 15, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 15:42:42 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

If any of you have this PDF reader on your computer, and you find that
your computer is slowing considerably, I just spent a very long time
finding out that Foxit Cloud, a feature that came with the latest
update, has a serious flaw that drives the hard drive to 100% usage,
along with the memory up to about 96%, and essentially cripples your
PC. So if yours is slowing, and your HDD indicator light is staying
on, uninstall Foxit Cloud from control panel. I left the reader
installed, and everything is fine.

the latest update of what?

Foxit Reader.

there was probably a checkbox somewhere that said install it, so it was
installed. next time, uncheck it.

No, by flaw, I mean bug in the software. You have to opt in, and I did
not, and it was not enabled, and it didn't show up as a running
process. But Google saved me again. I uninstalled it, and disk usage
is back to normal. The PC was nearly unusable before the uninstall. (I
did verify that it was Foxit, though, by digging pretty deep into
Windows task manager. It is definitely not intuitive.)

the real question is why would anyone need a third party pdf reader.
windows users should install adobe acrobat reader.

Over the years, their reader was bloated, slow, aging crap.
Admittedly, it is much, much, better now, normal even, but I had
gotten used to Foxit. Foxit had some features long before Adobe added
them.

And this problem is probably why my differential backups were taking 6
hours.

Old August 28th 15, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

If any of you have this PDF reader on your computer, and you find that
your computer is slowing considerably, I just spent a very long time
finding out that Foxit Cloud, a feature that came with the latest
update, has a serious flaw that drives the hard drive to 100% usage,
along with the memory up to about 96%, and essentially cripples your
PC. So if yours is slowing, and your HDD indicator light is staying
on, uninstall Foxit Cloud from control panel. I left the reader
installed, and everything is fine.

the latest update of what?

Foxit Reader.

then why not disable whatever feature it is that is hammering your hd?

although a better solution is trash it entirely.

the real question is why would anyone need a third party pdf reader.
windows users should install adobe acrobat reader.

Over the years, their reader was bloated, slow, aging crap.

it isn't, but regardless, at least it doesn't hammer a hard drive.

Admittedly, it is much, much, better now, normal even, but I had
gotten used to Foxit. Foxit had some features long before Adobe added
them.

what features were those?

given that adobe originally created pdf, new features are more likely
to be in *their* apps and not others, not to mention full compatibility
with the spec.

And this problem is probably why my differential backups were taking 6
hours.

that's a lot of changed files.

i can do a complete clone of a full 2 terabyte drive (not an
incremental and not a block copy) in less time.
Old August 28th 15, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/28/2015 3:54 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

the real question is why would anyone need a third party pdf reader.

windows users should install adobe acrobat reader.

Last time I looked, Adobe Acrobat Reader was a third party program, on
Windows. Is it now part of the Windows operating system?

third party non-adobe pdf reader. happy now?

you just love to argue.

adobe created pdf, so obviously the pdf reader to get is from adobe.
anything else is a gamble.

I have used the PDF converter from Nuance to convert PDF files to Excel
and WordPerfect. I have also used the publish to PDF feature in both
WordPerfect and Excel without incident. They are a lot less expensive
than Acrobat. Yes Acrobat Reader works very well, but there are a lot of
alternatives that work just as well.

--
PeterN
Old August 28th 15, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

Don't use Foxit. It was always a lukewarm product,
then it went sneaky.

sounds it from what has been said.

Also avoid Adobe Acrobat
Reader. It's an incredibly bloated mess with limited
functionality, and will try to install browser plugins,
which are both pointless and risky.

nonsense, and being able to read a pdf inline is extremely useful.

on a mac, none of that is necessary since pdf is a native format, just
like plain text.
Old August 28th 15, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Don't use Foxit. It was always a lukewarm product,
then it went sneaky. Also avoid Adobe Acrobat
Reader. It's an incredibly bloated mess with limited
functionality, and will try to install browser plugins,
which are both pointless and risky.

Two options:

For basic PDF reading I use the lightweight OSS,
Sumatra:

http://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader.html

For more extensive functionality, including editing
PDFs, see he

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/pdf-xchange-viewer/

pdf xchange viewer also went restricted and commercial,
though I'm not sure which version that happened to. I have
v. 2.4.214 and it's fine.

Old August 28th 15, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Last time I looked, Adobe Acrobat Reader was a third party program, on
| Windows. Is it now part of the Windows operating system?

They'd certainly like to think so, so it's no
suprise that nospam thinks so. This is the
company, after all, who have tried their best
to make their proprietary Flash a web
standard. They've done similar with Acrobat
browser plugins, despite the fact that there's
really no reason to view PDFs in a browser
window.

Acrobat Reader has been a bloated mess f
or years and its pushy browser plugin is a
malware magnet.

The current version is a 75MB download.
I'm guessing that's 120-160 MB installed.
PDF Xchange Viewer is 20MB installed and
allows editing PDFs. (Last I saw, Acrobat
Reader doesn't.) Sumatra is only about 10
MB installed, and safe, with no javascript
option. (Adobe ruined both Acrobat Reader
and Flash by adding script. That's what
makes them risky. PDFXV also has javascript
functionality, which should be disabled.)

There was a time when Acrobat Reader
was the only show in town. That hasn't
been true for years. Good riddance.