Efficiency of cheap macro lenses at near infrared?

Old November 21st 11, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

Default Efficiency of cheap macro lenses at near infrared?

This does not directly involve photography but I thought the
people here would be knowledgeable enough about the subject to
help.

I'm working on an electronics project for which I'd like to have
an inexpensive way of focusing incoming infrared rays onto a
sensor. The radiation is from a distant emitter, a bunch of
infrared LEDs sending coded pulses of IR energy from about 400m
(1300 ft) away. The project is for non-photographic work and
optical quality is not important. What *is* important is an
efficient concentration of the IR energy and I thought of using a
cheap macro lens of about +10 dioptre.

The LEDs operate at 940nm. Transmission curves at the following
link for soda lime, borosilicate and UV glasses indicate quite
good transmissivity (for my purpose) at that wavelength.
http://www.sinclairmfg.com/datasheets/optical3.html
So far I haven't found comparable data for the glass used to make
the cheap lenses I mentioned. Can anyone please provide some
information about that?

Old November 21st 11, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 22/11/2011 8:34 a.m., mianileng wrote:
[...]

Perhaps this helps:
http://dpanswers.com/content/irphoto_lenses.php
Macro may not be the way to go, on this list Nikon and Canon 50mm f1.8
lenses are cheaper and larger aperture than typical macro lenses (f2.8).
If longer focal length is needed, then a cheap mirror telephoto lens
might be perfect. Slower aperture, but you can get 500mm focal length
very cheaply, also you can focus visible light from the source to the IR
sensor, and not have to offset this for IR.
Old November 21st 11, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 21/11/2011 19:34, mianileng wrote:
[...]

If you only need a couple why not get a simple planoconvex lens from any
of the generic suppliers or surplus shed (for about $5).

http://www.surplusshed.com/lens.cfm

You don't need a fancy achromat for this sort of thing your source is
close to monochromatic +/- 30nm - though you might need a slightly
clever baffled optical design and an IR pass filter if the thing has to
work well in daylight. You might even get away with a Fresnel reading
lens or bits taken from an old redundant OHP.

Martin Brown
Old November 22nd 11, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 11/21/2011 2:34 PM, mianileng wrote:
[...]

This has the aroma of a homework project.

--
Peter
Old November 22nd 11, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

PeterN wrote in news:4ecaf9cc$0$13254
:

[...]

So what if it is? So the guy might be asking for information he hasn't
been able to find elsewhere? Would helping him out KILL you, sourpuss?
Old November 22nd 11, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Irwin

mianileng wrote:

The LEDs operate at 940nm. Transmission curves at the following
link for soda lime, borosilicate and UV glasses indicate quite
good transmissivity (for my purpose) at that wavelength.
http://www.sinclairmfg.com/datasheets/optical3.html
So far I haven't found comparable data for the glass used to make
the cheap lenses I mentioned. Can anyone please provide some
information about that?

I second the recommendation for www.surplusshed.com.
Practically any glass should be fine at that wavelength,
and the ones that aren't would be fairly exotic. A simple
plano-convex or positive meniscus lens should be fine since
you only have one wavelength to focus.

The very cheap "educational optics" tend to be soda-lime
glass. Most of the rest are probably borosilicate glass,
but it shouldn't matter for your purposes.

Peter.

Old November 22nd 11, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

Me wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your interest. Your reply made me realise that I left
out something, namely that the macro lenses I'm considering are
not SLR compound lenses, but one of the simple $3 add-on
attachments. A $1 magnifying glass would also do - provided that
it passes IR well enough, except that it will be easier to secure
a lens with a standard thread to the front of the receiver box
and to attach an IR filter once the focusing's done with visible
light.

Yes, I'd intended to do just what you suggest about focusing with
visible light and then adding an IR-pass filter. The offset in
focal plane wouldn't matter even for a shorter focal length
because I'd planned to leave it somewhat out of focus anyway.
This is because
1) the sensor area is about 0.2in in diameter and spreading the
IR image will reduce the possibility of overheating a spot when
it's tested at closer range,
2) it will compensate for slight misalignment, albeit with some
loss in efficiency. It's a trade-off between the two.

My calculations allow for some loss of efficiency from spreading
the image to an area somewhat larger than the sensor, from
absorbtion by the intervening 400m of air and by the glass. The
question is how much loss the last one will contribute.

Old November 22nd 11, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

You're quite right about not needing a fancy lens. In fact, I'd
intended to use one of those simple $3 add-on lenses _and_ an
IR-pass filter. Please see my reply to "Me" for details.

Old November 22nd 11, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

PeterN wrote:
[...]

Not at all. This is for a very professional job. It's an
expansion of custom-designed equipment that I built two years ago
and has been in use since then. I like to use standard, cheap and
readily available material wherever possible and pass on the cost
savings to my customers.

Old November 22nd 11, 04:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

Peter Irwin wrote:
mianileng wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your interest. As I said in reply to "Me", I forgot to
mention that I did intend to use a cheap add-on lens rather than
some SLR glass.