Canon EOS Digital Rebel - Questions?

Old August 24th 04, 07:56 PM
John Doe

Default Canon EOS Digital Rebel - Questions?

Hello,

I currently have a Sony CD Mavica 2MP camera and while I am quite happy with
it as far as image quality goes I often times wish I had more control and
have decided that interchangeable lens would be great. So I have zeroed in
on the Canon EOS Digital Rebel as the one I want. I have been looking around
at prices and came across http://www.cameraworld.com which has a two lens
package for just under $1200.00. It comes with the kit 18 to 55 lens from
Canon and then this one:

Quantaray - 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 High Speed Auto Focus Zoom for EOS Canon
The outstanding magnification range on this lightweight, compact lens will
add impact and intimacy to close-ups, portraits and everything in between.
Quantaray's 70-300mm F4-5.6 LDO MACRO SUPER is one of several new telephoto
zoom lenses. It is a compact Apochromatic telephoto zoom lens incorporating
two Special Low Dispersion (LDO) glass elements in the front lens group,
plus one Special Low Dispersion glass element in the rear lens group, to
minimize chromatic aberration. It is a Tele-Macro Zoom lens, capable of
focusing down to 1:2 (half life-size) reproduction ratio at 300mm focal
length with superb optical quality. The lens materials used in this new
product are lead and arsenic free ecological glass. 5 year warranty!

Does anyone know anything about this brand? Is this a good lens? How is
Camera World for service and honesty? Is this $1200 package a good deal or
should I just by locally and get a Canon brand lens. How is Sigma? How is
Tamron?

BTW I have a friends Rebel and have been playing with it. If you would like
to take a look at some shots I took you can view them at
http://www.sonic.net/~keesha.

Thanks,

John

"Yes, John Doe is my real name. My parents has a quirky sense of humor!"

--
Grow Some Dope...Plant a Politician.

Old August 24th 04, 08:08 PM
macro

Quantaray - 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 High Speed Auto Focus Zoom for EOS Canon
The outstanding magnification range on this lightweight, compact lens will
add impact and intimacy to close-ups, portraits and everything in between.
Quantaray's 70-300mm F4-5.6 LDO MACRO SUPER is one of several new telephoto
zoom lenses....

Skip the LDO and get the Sigma ADO Super II, which is about $210. Also
skip www.cameraworld.com, where the camera is overpriced. Quantaray is
Sigma relabelled for Ritz Camera and their affiliates.

Try a comparison at www.bhphotovideo.com.

Old August 24th 04, 08:20 PM
macro

It's even cheaper at www.buydig.com
Old August 24th 04, 08:20 PM
macro

It's even cheaper at www.buydig.com
Old August 24th 04, 11:33 PM
DavidG

"John Doe" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I currently have a Sony CD Mavica 2MP camera and while I am quite happy with
it as far as image quality goes I often times wish I had more control and
have decided that interchangeable lens would be great. So I have zeroed in
on the Canon EOS Digital Rebel as the one I want. I have been looking around
at prices and came across http://www.cameraworld.com which has a two lens
package for just under $1200.00. It comes with the kit 18 to 55 lens from
Canon and then this one:

Quantaray - 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 High Speed Auto Focus Zoom for EOS Canon

John,

Camera World is owned by Ritz Camera and Quantaray is just their house
brand, typically made by Sigma but not necessarily Sigma's better
lenses. You are not likely getting a very high quality telephoto lens
here, given the price. My best recommendation is to buy the kit with
the 18-55mm lens at a reputable mail-order place such as
www.onecall.com, which typically features excellent prices. Digital
Rebel kits are now going for $850 or less now. Then, start visiting
both the Digital Rebel and Canon SLR Lens forums on www.dpreview.com
to learn more. As you become familiar with your camera and kit lens
and as you read through opinions on the forums, you'll be better
prepared to make a choice of a second lens.

David

Old August 25th 04, 12:34 AM
Tony Spadaro

Get a Canon lens and get your camera from an honest dealer. The Quantarys
tend to be whatever Ritz (owner of Cameraworld) can get the cheapest -
usually this means Sigma which is not only low quality but is guaranteed to
have compatibility problems with Canon gear.
Canon has a 75-300 lens for 170 dollars and a USM version of it for about
200 - these are Adorama prices. So given a 1000 price for the camera and
standard lens then you are talking about either the same price or thirty
dollars less to have a real Canon lens from another store.
Ritz = ****z
http://www.adoramacamera.com

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old August 25th 04, 04:04 AM
John Doe

Thank you all for your help. Now I am trying to decide if I should spend the
extra and go for 20D?

John