which Epson printer for b&w prints?

Old March 27th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default which Epson printer for b&w prints?

I will start making black & white prints from the color files from a
Nikon camera (D100). I now own an Epson 1280 printer. Epson makes no
black & white ink sets for this but at least one 3rd party does (MIS
Associates UT2 Ultratone). So, I am faced with two choices: 1) Keep
the 1280 in service and use the MIS inksets, or 2) Purchase an Epson
2400 using an Epson 8-color pigment ink set. I would guess you would
get better results from the 2400, but how much better? What's your
judgment about the choice?

Thanks.

Old March 27th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote in message
oups.com...
I will start making black & white prints from the color files from a
Nikon camera (D100). I now own an Epson 1280 printer. Epson makes no
black & white ink sets for this but at least one 3rd party does (MIS
Associates UT2 Ultratone). So, I am faced with two choices: 1) Keep
the 1280 in service and use the MIS inksets, or 2) Purchase an Epson
2400 using an Epson 8-color pigment ink set. I would guess you would
get better results from the 2400, but how much better? What's your
judgment about the choice?

I have the 1290s, which I believe is the UK version of the 1280. I think it
produces very nice black and white pictures. I use the black ink setting on
1440 dpi.

I don't use Epson black ink because (a) It's too expensive (b) The
Print-Rite ink I use is blacker.

How do you print B&W on your 1280?

John

Old March 27th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

If you are new to serious printing, color or black and white, learn all you
can about color management and monitor calibration.
Also realize that it takes experience/experimentation to develop a reliable
work flow so that the first print you make of an image is consistently
within ballpark range of the results you are looking for.
If the D100 is your only image source there are many ways to achieve B&W
conversion and you need to understand the basic issues.
The 1280 is a great, great printer for color but a little difficult to use
for B&W without experimenting on what settings and paper work best for you.
You definitely want to use black ink only because otherwise there will be a
color tone to the blacks; this is a driver setting. However if you like
tinted, e.g.sepia tone, images the 1280 works great.
Even with monitor calibration you still have to have the experience to
guesstimate how a particular image will print compared to what it looks like
on the monitor. This is image and paper specific.
If you are a serious B&W art printer it would be worthwhile investing in the
2400. However the 2400 also requires a period of experimentation to
understand how to get the results you want. In fact the 2400 requires a
better understanding of printing issues than any other prosumer model Epson
makes.

Old March 27th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The only Inkjet printer which is claimed to produce B&W prints
indistinguishable for silver chemical prints is the Epson r2400.

You forgot the HP 7960. Dedicated B&W ink cartridge.

Prints ARE indistinguishable from chemical.

Best,

Ross

Old March 28th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

John Doe wrote:
The only Inkjet printer which is claimed to produce B&W prints
indistinguishable for silver chemical prints is the Epson r2400.

You forgot the HP 7960. Dedicated B&W ink cartridge.

Prints ARE indistinguishable from chemical.

Best,

Ross

These are good, I grant you but the Epson is market leader in B&W
printing. They manage this with a printer costing more than their rivals
and with ink costing much more than dye ink... They can only do this if
their claims are true.

I own several HP, 6 colour designjet printers and although they produce
nice output, they are not a pinch in Epson's quality. Their one
endearing feature is the low cost of running them.