More E6 Questions: "Tom??"

Old October 30th 04, 04:13 AM
Frank Pittel

Gregory W Blank wrote:
: In article ,
: Frank Pittel wrote:

: Tom Phillips wrote:

:
: : I've found the Jobo to be very reliable plus it's 0.25 +/-
: : accurate.
:
: That accuracy is part of why a Jobo costs what it does. At the same time .25 is
: a long way away from .1 in terms of price. I used to work at a calibration lab
: and spent ten years as an instrumentation engineer. I've seen the price of probes
: that were capable of .1 and a twenty dollar digital thermometer from Radio Shack
: isn't going to do it!! :-)

: B&H lists a Jobo analog thermometer with a .1 degree of accuracy for around 55 dollars.

An analog thermometer isn't digital/electronic. :-)

-------------------

Old October 30th 04, 04:38 AM
Gregory W Blank

Frank Pittel wrote:

An analog thermometer isn't digital/electronic. :-)

Nooooooo its not, however my initial question ask whether the
analog would be suitable given that its .1 accurate. Since Tom
answered that .5 is what he uses I assume that .1 is fine.

Take care
Greg

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 30th 04, 04:55 AM
Frank Pittel

Gregory W Blank wrote:
: In article ,
: Frank Pittel wrote:
:
: An analog thermometer isn't digital/electronic. :-)

: Nooooooo its not, however my initial question ask whether the
: analog would be suitable given that its .1 accurate. Since Tom
: answered that .5 is what he uses I assume that .1 is fine.

An analog thermometer is fine. I have a couple that I use. The one
I use day to day is a Besler dial thermomter. The second one is a
laboratory grade thermometer that I use to check the Besler with
every now and again. I send it out for calibration every couple of years.

In my case that's not such a big deal as I still have friends that work in
calibration labs and they do it for me at no charge. :-)

-------------------

Old October 31st 04, 02:25 PM
Mike King

Analog vs. digital? I can certainly think of several electronic devices
which are NOT digital. Including some early computers! The thermocouple
some electronic thermometers use is an analog device as are whole categories
of electronic components. Digital does not always entail more accuracy than
analog.

A non-digital, non-electronic rectal thermometer is graduated to .1 degree
F. and remains accurate over it's life if not abused or broken and can be
occasionally calibrated against a certified lab thermometer.

On the issue of control strips, it doesn't matter which brand you use as
long as you use only one brand and use them in a compulsively consistent
manner.

On the issue of first developer times for Kodak vs. Fuji films, check for
the latest info from Jobo, since it was their info that started this whole
controversy, but my understanding is that the first developer time to use
depends on the brand of chemicals you use also. I use one brand of
chemicals, one time and temp and adjust my EI's from film to film for
consistent results.

--
darkroommike

"Gregory W Blank" wrote in message

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Old October 31st 04, 04:05 PM
Gregory W Blank

"Mike King" wrote:

[...]

Thanks thats a good tid bit also.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918