Using Kodak Rapid Fix

Old October 21st 04, 03:31 AM
Alan Smithee

"Uranium Committee" wrote in message
om...
"Alan Smithee" wrote in message

news:IWvdd.800891$gE.702490@pd7tw3no...
"Uranium Committee" wrote in message
om...
"Alan Smithee" wrote in message

news:jGkdd.795552$gE.258028@pd7tw3no...
I have the rapid fix kit which makes a US gallon. If I mix it at

working
strength for fixing film do I just dilute it 1:1 for paper? Thx.

No. Mix them separately. Don't use fixer for paper that has been used
for film. Take HALF of the contents and make 1/2 gallon of film fixer.
Take the other half and mix 1 gallon of paper fixer. NEVER use the
same fixer for both.

Use hardener in the film fixer but not the paper, or does that really
matter. I wanted to try the Rapid Fix to basically speed up my film fix
times. If I'm mixing two batches I might as well use regular fixer on

the
paper then.

No. Mix TWO batches. DO NOT use one kind for both. Kodak explicitly
says not to do this. You should not be using powder fixer anyway. I
use the hardener for both film and paper. It does not harm anything.

What I was getting at was...since I'm going to need two bottles/jugs
anyway... I could just as easily use Rapid Fix exclusively for my
film....and use Kodak Fixer for my paper.

Old October 21st 04, 03:32 AM
Alan Smithee

"Tom Phillips" wrote in message

Alan Smithee wrote:

"Uranium Committee" wrote in message
om...
"Alan Smithee" wrote in message

I have the rapid fix kit which makes a US gallon. If I mix it at

working
strength for fixing film do I just dilute it 1:1 for paper? Thx.

No. Mix them separately. Don't use fixer for paper that has been used
for film. Take HALF of the contents and make 1/2 gallon of film fixer.
Take the other half and mix 1 gallon of paper fixer. NEVER use the
same fixer for both.

Use hardener in the film fixer but not the paper, or does that really
matter. I wanted to try the Rapid Fix to basically speed up my film fix
times. If I'm mixing two batches I might as well use regular fixer on

the
paper then.

Ignore the troll. And _don't_ mix up the whole bottle. Mix up
(from the concentrate) only what you will need short term.

Do not use the same for paper as for film, but concentrates
last longer than working solutions...

Also, many modern films don't require hardener, but it never
hurts to add hardener to film fix and _some_ films still need it.
(Tri-X, I think is one according to Kodak.)

What's the difference between using Rapid Fix or Kodak Fixer (classic) on
paper assuming I'm ignoring Solution B. Are the times much different?

Old October 21st 04, 04:23 AM
The Wogster

Alan Smithee wrote:
"The Wogster" wrote in message
. ..

Alan Smithee wrote:

"Uranium Committee" wrote in message
e.com...

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message

I have the rapid fix kit which makes a US gallon. If I mix it at

working

strength for fixing film do I just dilute it 1:1 for paper? Thx.

No. Mix them separately. Don't use fixer for paper that has been used
for film. Take HALF of the contents and make 1/2 gallon of film fixer.
Take the other half and mix 1 gallon of paper fixer. NEVER use the
same fixer for both.

Use hardener in the film fixer but not the paper, or does that really
matter. I wanted to try the Rapid Fix to basically speed up my film fix
times. If I'm mixing two batches I might as well use regular fixer on

the

paper then.

Many people don't bother with the hardener at all, if your careful with
wet film in the darkroom, you really don't need it with modern films.
Hardening does extend the wash times, it also does not work with all
rapid fixers. Even 20 years ago, I didn't use a hardener, and never had
a problem with damaged film because of it. I also used most chemicals
one-shot style. Mix up a batch of fixer, pour whats needed into the
film tank, do a roll and pitch it, a little more expensive, but knowing
every roll had fresh developer and fresh fixer meant that I didn't need
a stop bath, and that results would be consistant. The oldest film
archive shows that this worked, even though the films are over 20 years
old, no staining or problems due to exhausted chemistries.

With paper, I would put half what I needed into the tray and add water
to get what I needed, process say 10 sheets of paper, then pitch it and
mix a new batch.

I'm trying to figure out what the ratio of Solution A to water is for small
batches.

Unlike developer, fixer is not affected much by air left in the bottle,
so if you mix a large batch, it should keep well, in a tightly capped
bottle, some people prefer glass for larger batches, as glass does not
"breathe", while some plastics do. Like I said though, mix it as
recommended for film strength, then mix that 1:1 for paper. Don't use
fixer for paper that you have used for film..... I always had best
success though, with 1 shot chemistries, no trying to remember how many
rolls/sheets went through a bottle of chemistries, every batch got fresh
chemistries.

Old October 21st 04, 05:02 AM
Frank Pittel

Alan Smithee wrote:

: "Tom Phillips" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: Alan Smithee wrote:
:
[...]

The biggest difference in my never humble opinion is that the rapid fix comes
as a liquid concentrate and the classic Kodak fix comes as a powder. With the
rapid fix you also have the choice of adding or not adding the hardener.

I started using the rapid fix when I started a no powder policy in my darkroom.

Old October 21st 04, 02:54 PM
Uranium Committee

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message news:QbFdd.782934$M95.515014@pd7tw1no...
[...]

Don't use Kodak powdered fixer at all, for any reason. Rapid Fixer is
better all around. It has much higher capacity and works much faster.