FAB 5D2 GOES TO THE LIMIT!

Old July 12th 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

Default FAB 5D2 GOES TO THE LIMIT!

"Annika1980" wrote in message
I've talked many times of bumping up against the limits of my
equipment.
Here's an example that I shot today.

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/114850761

That one was taken with the Fab 5D2 and the 400 f/5.6L with stacked 2x
and 1.4x teleconverters. This gives an effective focal length of
1120mm and who knows what the correct aperture is.

To my eyes the pic looks OK for web presentation at it's reduced size,
but at original size the pic is soft compared to the 400 f/5.6L by
itself. The distance to the bird was probably only 30-40 yards or so,
but since it was over water I couldn't get any closer.

I wonder what that shot would look like with the Canon 1200 f/5.6L or
even the 800 f/5.6L IS with the 1.4x?

Speaking of long Canon lenses, here is a cheapie I found on Overstock.com:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...id=143868&fp=f

Old July 12th 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

On Jul 12, 11:18 am, "Bill Graham" wrote:

Speaking of long Canon lenses, here is a cheapie I found on
Overstock.com:http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...irror-Lens...-

I had a mirror lens at one time, but it was pretty dreadful.
Donut highlights and softness all the way around.

Yeah......I don't recommend it, but the proce is pretty cheap, and they are
fun to play with.......

Old July 12th 09, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pixel Bandit

Speaking of long Canon lenses, here is a cheapie I found on Overstock.com:http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...irror-Lens...-

I had a mirror lens at one time, but it was pretty dreadful.
Donut highlights and softness all the way around.

So that's the reason for your crummy shots!