Microsoft One-Drive. What do you think of it?

Old July 1st 20, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Default Microsoft One-Drive. What do you think of it?

On 2020-06-30 20:59, RichA wrote:
Pretty spartan, maybe not if you pay for a high-level?

Recently installed OneDrive on Macs at home and work, and my iPhone.

That's a 5 GB tank I can use as needed. I may begin populating it with
photos and some vids that I don't want to throw against my limited
Dropbox and iCloud stores (the latter being the most secure).

I'm not convinced of MS' security creds. That's not because I don't
believe they won't do well, but because they are not very transparent
about it so it's not possible to judge. So nothing truly private will
go there.

Not directly related...

Recently for free accounts, Dropbox limits one to 3 devices. This is
strictly enough for me (2 macs, iPhone) but chops out various iPads and
other Macs reducing the convenience factor esp. for things like
1Password sync on other devices. I may have to move the 1Password file
to iCloud (Which had issues in the past - not sure if they've been
resolved).

I suspect Dropbox know that a lot of people use 1Password and Dropbox as
the sync store - and that most people use more than 3 devices...

Dropbox has also become more "pro active" during whatever work I'm
doing. So if I open up an excel sheet that's on DB, then popups happen
over excel. Extremely annoying. I want these services to be passive
and automatic. I don't want them introducing themselves to my workflow.
(yes, with settings, these "features" are turned off).

I suspect, like EverNote, Dropbox will be gone from my life in the not
distant future. Can't expect too much from "free" and that's fine.
Old July 1st 20, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 1, 2020, Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

On 2020-06-30 20:59, RichA wrote:
Pretty spartan, maybe not if you pay for a high-level?

Recently installed OneDrive on Macs at home and work, and my iPhone.

That's a 5 GB tank I can use as needed. I may begin populating it with
photos and some vids that I don't want to throw against my limited
Dropbox and iCloud stores (the latter being the most secure).

$0.99/month gets me 50GB of iCloud storage, more than enough for numerous Apple device/computer file exchanges, some storage, and handoff tasks. If I don’t want to use that for a quick file exchange I use AirDrop for my iOS/macOS devices.

Then I have 1TB of Adobe CC storage which deals with much of the syncing of image files between my various mobile devices, and my desktop Mac. Add to that I have my $55/year SmugMug basic account, which also syncs between iOS devices, and desktop, and which I find convenient for me, and my various image sharing needs.

....and I still have my free DB for occasional use,

I suspect, like EverNote, Dropbox will be gone from my life in the not
distant future. Can't expect too much from "free" and that's fine.

I use DB less, and less, and I haven’t used Evernote in several years.

Savageduck

Old July 1st 20, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

I may have to move the 1Password file
to iCloud (Which had issues in the past - not sure if they've been
resolved).

long, long ago.

I suspect Dropbox know that a lot of people use 1Password and Dropbox as
the sync store - and that most people use more than 3 devices...

of course, which is why they chose 3 as the limit, although i doubt
1password was the motivating factor.

Dropbox has also become more "pro active" during whatever work I'm
doing. So if I open up an excel sheet that's on DB, then popups happen
over excel. Extremely annoying. I want these services to be passive
and automatic. I don't want them introducing themselves to my workflow.
(yes, with settings, these "features" are turned off).

dropbox has become incredibly invasive and now includes a chromium
engine for maximum bloat.

it also installs a kext that does all sorts of unsavory things, the
types of things malware would do.

I suspect, like EverNote, Dropbox will be gone from my life in the not
distant future. Can't expect too much from "free" and that's fine.

the sooner the better, but don't categorize all free services as bad
just because one is obnoxious.

look into nextcloud, which can even be self-hosted for maximum privacy.

synology also has their dropbox equivalent, however, that will require
a synology nas, which can host nextloud and other options.
Old July 1st 20, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-07-01 11:47, nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

I may have to move the 1Password file
to iCloud (Which had issues in the past - not sure if they've been
resolved).

long, long ago.

Depends on your definition of "long, long ago". As of 2 years ago there
was still this bizarre need to occasionally re-login - always when least
convenient. Agile and Apple were still trying to work it out. Anyway,
I'll switch back to iCloud for 1Password sync and see how it goes.

I'm also more and more open to using Apple Keychain for more things -
but baby steps. I don't like having all my eggs in 1 basket.

I suspect Dropbox know that a lot of people use 1Password and Dropbox as
the sync store - and that most people use more than 3 devices...

of course, which is why they chose 3 as the limit, although i doubt
1password was the motivating factor.

Surely not the sole one but a key one. On that note I'll be looking
more at Apple as the gateway into various online services in any case.
Just need to know more about it.

Dropbox has also become more "pro active" during whatever work I'm
doing. So if I open up an excel sheet that's on DB, then popups happen
over excel. Extremely annoying. I want these services to be passive
and automatic. I don't want them introducing themselves to my workflow.
(yes, with settings, these "features" are turned off).

dropbox has become incredibly invasive and now includes a chromium
engine for maximum bloat.

it also installs a kext that does all sorts of unsavory things, the
types of things malware would do.

More the reason I'm getting more active in moving off there.

I suspect, like EverNote, Dropbox will be gone from my life in the not
distant future. Can't expect too much from "free" and that's fine.

the sooner the better, but don't categorize all free services as bad
just because one is obnoxious.

Sure.

Dropbox started out as "not obnoxious" - or at least not very much.

look into nextcloud, which can even be self-hosted for maximum privacy.

Could be good.. With 1Password you can set up your own server as well
- something I can also manage with a spare PC that's otherwise doing
nothing.

synology also has their dropbox equivalent, however, that will require
a synology nas, which can host nextloud and other options.

Looks like a less expensive v. of a Drobo but probably not as good.

IAC, not going there.
Old July 1st 20, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

I may have to move the 1Password file
to iCloud (Which had issues in the past - not sure if they've been
resolved).

long, long ago.

Depends on your definition of "long, long ago". As of 2 years ago there
was still this bizarre need to occasionally re-login - always when least
convenient. Agile and Apple were still trying to work it out. Anyway,
I'll switch back to iCloud for 1Password sync and see how it goes.

that was extremely rare.

there was a problem with 1password and icloud 5-10 years ago, but i
don't remember exactly when or what it even was.

I'm also more and more open to using Apple Keychain for more things -
but baby steps. I don't like having all my eggs in 1 basket.

that's what backups are for.

1password keeps a local copy, so even if icloud (or dropbox for that
matter) were to go away forever, you'd still have your data. you'd just
lose the ability to sync.

Dropbox started out as "not obnoxious" - or at least not very much.

it did, but those days are long gone.

look into nextcloud, which can even be self-hosted for maximum privacy.

Could be good..

it is.

just don't host it on a raspberry pi. i figured that would be easy and
fun, which it was, except the results were not great.

With 1Password you can set up your own server as well
- something I can also manage with a spare PC that's otherwise doing
nothing.

true, but it doesn't work that well. syncing has to be within the lan,
for example.

synology also has their dropbox equivalent, however, that will require
a synology nas, which can host nextloud and other options.

Looks like a less expensive v. of a Drobo but probably not as good.

look again.

it's way the hell better than anything drobo could ever hope to have,
if for no other reason that it's *not* proprietary.

although rare, if synology hardware fails, you can recover your data
via a generic linux box (and a drive cage for all the drives).

however, an easier option is get another synology that can hold the
same number of drives (or more) and it will 'just work'.

but the main advantage is the *huge* variety of apps, from synology and
third parties, plus it's linux underneath so you can dig down and play
at that level if you prefer. write your own apps if you're so inclined.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/packages
https://synocommunity.com/packages

IAC, not going there.

your loss.
Old July 1st 20, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-07-01 14:27, nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

I may have to move the 1Password file
to iCloud (Which had issues in the past - not sure if they've been
resolved).

long, long ago.

Depends on your definition of "long, long ago". As of 2 years ago there
was still this bizarre need to occasionally re-login - always when least
convenient. Agile and Apple were still trying to work it out. Anyway,
I'll switch back to iCloud for 1Password sync and see how it goes.

that was extremely rare.

Not so rare that every time I moved the sync to iCloud, there it was. I
chatted often with Agile about it. They claimed it was a hot item and
they were working it with Apple. That went on endlessly. Last
discussion I had with them was Dec. 2017. Not /so/ long ago.

there was a problem with 1password and icloud 5-10 years ago, but i
don't remember exactly when or what it even was.

I'm also more and more open to using Apple Keychain for more things -
but baby steps. I don't like having all my eggs in 1 basket.

that's what backups are for.

1password keeps a local copy, so even if icloud (or dropbox for that
matter) were to go away forever, you'd still have your data. you'd just
lose the ability to sync.

True - but I don't like where 1P is headed (the "rent" business) and the
latest version of 1P is crap v. v 6 (IMO). So looking to move elsewhere
but need to be sure it works well.

Dropbox started out as "not obnoxious" - or at least not very much.

it did, but those days are long gone.

look into nextcloud, which can even be self-hosted for maximum privacy.

Could be good..

it is.

just don't host it on a raspberry pi. i figured that would be easy and
fun, which it was, except the results were not great.

With 1Password you can set up your own server as well
- something I can also manage with a spare PC that's otherwise doing
nothing.

true, but it doesn't work that well. syncing has to be within the lan,
for example.

Do you mean on the nextcloud side or the 1P side?

synology also has their dropbox equivalent, however, that will require
a synology nas, which can host nextloud and other options.

Looks like a less expensive v. of a Drobo but probably not as good.

look again.

it's way the hell better than anything drobo could ever hope to have,
if for no other reason that it's *not* proprietary.

although rare, if synology hardware fails, you can recover your data
via a generic linux box (and a drive cage for all the drives).

I'll keep that in mind. If anything, at least the prices don't seem
Drobonoxious.

however, an easier option is get another synology that can hold the
same number of drives (or more) and it will 'just work'.

but the main advantage is the *huge* variety of apps, from synology and
third parties, plus it's linux underneath so you can dig down and play
at that level if you prefer. write your own apps if you're so inclined.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/packages
https://synocommunity.com/packages

IAC, not going there.

your loss.

No need for it. My current setup is fine for hot, offline and cold
backups.

Old July 2nd 20, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

With 1Password you can set up your own server as well
- something I can also manage with a spare PC that's otherwise doing
nothing.

true, but it doesn't work that well. syncing has to be within the lan,
for example.

Do you mean on the nextcloud side or the 1P side?

1password wifi sync, which is not great.

it doesn't support nextcloud.
Old July 3rd 20, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-07-01 19:58, nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

With 1Password you can set up your own server as well
- something I can also manage with a spare PC that's otherwise doing
nothing.

true, but it doesn't work that well. syncing has to be within the lan,
for example.

Do you mean on the nextcloud side or the 1P side?

1password wifi sync, which is not great.

it doesn't support nextcloud.

So to be clear, the 1Password self-server option is limited to one's own
LAN? If so, that's lame...
Old July 3rd 20, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

With 1Password you can set up your own server as well
- something I can also manage with a spare PC that's otherwise doing
nothing.

true, but it doesn't work that well. syncing has to be within the lan,
for example.

Do you mean on the nextcloud side or the 1P side?

1password wifi sync, which is not great.

it doesn't support nextcloud.

So to be clear, the 1Password self-server option is limited to one's own
LAN? If so, that's lame...

it was acceptable (although not great) when they first implemented it
nearly 15 years ago.

things have changed *significantly* since then.