David Brooks - copyright infringer *multiple*

Old June 15th 20, 04:38 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
David_B[_4_]

Default David Brooks - copyright infringer *multiple*

On 11/06/2020 14:43, Snit wrote:
On 6/11/20 6:05 AM, David_B wrote:
On 11/06/2020 11:17, Diesel wrote:
Convince me i'm wrong about you Snit.

Snit is one of life's *GOOD GUYS*, Dustin.

I do not get why he thinks it is my job to convince him of anything. Can
he not think I was wrong about things in the past -- as I think he was
on multiple things -- and not still move forward in peace?

I certainly am not saying it is HIS job to convince me I was wrong about
his past errors. Since he is focuses so much on these past events,
though, I have been quite clear in what it would take to convince me I
was wrong (simple evidence about what OTHER code he meant than the code
I thought he meant: the code to Carroll's flood bot). He can note the
code by app (it was the code to MyApp) or by referencing the lines of
code he had quoted, or whatever.

Or he can just not reference any code and accept I will think he made an
error (which I do think is the case). So what? Am I that important to
him that he cannot both accept that I think he made an error (even if he
disagrees) AND move forward in peace?

The sad thing about Diesel is that he finds it impossible to let bygones
be bygones. I've never known him to admit that he's been wrong about
something or someone - that's probably because he's constantly been
looking over his shoulder for his enemies to strike. :-(

I really would like him to move forward and recognise that there really
are good guys like you, me, Joel, Commander Kinsey, FromTheRafters and
Apd here in 'my' group. There's also Mike Easter - an unknown quantity -
but I cannot recall him ever giving 'duff' technical information.

If I can ever be of help, Snit, do, please, let me know. :-)

Old June 15th 20, 06:46 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Snit

David_B wrote:
On 11/06/2020 14:43, Snit wrote:
On 6/11/20 6:05 AM, David_B wrote:
[...]

Maybe that is why we find it hard to see eye to eye. I pretty much don’t
hold grudges. I won’t pretend, for example, that Carroll has not harassed
me and folks in my life outside of Usenet, but now that he seems done with
that I even give him a chance. Multiple chances, really. At some point I
might again even though I see he is lying his ass off to Apd about me and
pretty much demanding Apd take sides.

I will give Diesel chance after chance, too. At his worst he has done
1/1000th what Carroll has.

With that said it is MY view. I have never discouraged you or others from
listening to Carroll’s side. I just trust he won’t be able to answer
questions. And he won’t, even about recent events.

When pressed he will run back to his comfort zone: 2004. He really never
moved on from that.

I really would like him to move forward and recognise that there really
are good guys like you, me, Joel, Commander Kinsey, FromTheRafters and
Apd here in 'my' group. There's also Mike Easter - an unknown quantity -
but I cannot recall him ever giving 'duff' technical information.

He has made unsupported accusations. But I hold no grudge and am happy to
speak with him.

That’s who I am.

If I can ever be of help, Snit, do, please, let me know. :-)

Sadly I do not think so. Carroll is getting what he wants — this group is
becoming about his accusations and similar ones. He has Shadow as his
“shill” as he calls them — and to some extent Diesel as well. Carroll IS
good at manipulating people. He looks for those who have disagreements with
me and weaknesses he can exploit.

somehow superior by attacking the messenger. They cling to their attacks
and ignore the message time and time again.
Old June 16th 20, 10:24 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Diesel[_3_]

David_B
Mon, 15 Jun 2020 15:38:44 GMT in
alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

[snip]

The sad thing about Diesel is that he finds it impossible to let
bygones be bygones.

ROFL, that's so not true, David. I like most normal people have a low
amount of appreciation (read: none) for those who would take the time
to write lies about them. Or, in your case, try to repeatedly STALK
ME because I wouldn't commit felonious computer trespass for you.
Snit doesn't seem to have any problem with that, though. but, I'm the
immature one, here. Atleast according to Snit.

I've never known him to admit that he's been
wrong about something or someone

And that's yet another of your well known lies about me, David. I've
admitting being wrong many times on a wide variety of subjects. I'm
human, like yourself, despite the clear differences in how we think
about things. I make mistakes just like anyone else does.

And like most others I know, I *DO* own upto them and take necessary
steps to not only correct them when possible, but prevent it from
happening again if it's possible to do.

that's probably because he's constantly been looking over his
shoulder for his enemies to strike. :-(

Off you go again with this enemies idea you seem to have. If someone
out there actually still has a problem with me of a serious nature
over some ****ing code I wrote twenty plus years ago; then I'd say
they are the ones with serious mental issues. I didn't go and kill a
person, or a pet, or anything else. I didn't rob any banks, I didn't
steal anyones pension or their life savings, or any other property
they owned. I didn't even steal copies of their damn data or hold any
of it for any ransom. That was NOT my thing, ever.

I wrote some self replicating code. Some of which had nasty payloads,
and, I have since apologized for having done that , MANY times. I
explained to you, in detail when you were emailing me that I ****ed
up, and what I'd done to try and make up for it. You were emailing me
under false pretenses for help for the very thing I wrote and
supported to try and do that very thing, you dishonest cretin.

I really would like him to move forward and recognise that there
really are good guys like you, me, Joel, Commander Kinsey,
FromTheRafters and Apd here in 'my' group. There's also Mike
Easter - an unknown quantity - but I cannot recall him ever giving
'duff' technical information.

Uhh, wait.. FromTheRafters, Apd, and even to a point Mike Easter, I
can't disagree with you. The rest.. umm, heh, with the possible
exception of Joel and maybe even Commander Kinsey (since he just
posts off the wall **** for a rise out of people, harmless
otherwise), but you and Snit good guys? ROFL, you are for sure, not
one. And I'm still on the fence with Snit.

If I can ever be of help, Snit, do, please, let me know. :-)

I'm curious. What would you be able to help him with? I suspect he
knows more about macs than you do...

--
E Pluribus UNIX.
Old June 16th 20, 02:48 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
David_B[_4_]

On 16/06/2020 10:24, Diesel wrote:
I'm curious. What would you be able to help him with? I suspect he
knows more about macs than you do...

I've no doubt at all that MOST Usenet posters know far more about
computers than I do. Few folk in my circle use macs, so I'm really
pleased to have found a friend who has already helped me a great deal.

What you fail to understand, Dustin, is that computers are not the 'be
all and end all' for most people who live in the real world. Such
machines are more often than not just a 'tool' - like a 'phone, a
bicycle or a car. Most ordinary folk would never attempt to repair such
devices.

I have much experience of being a father and grandfather and I'm always
pleased to help others less knowledgeable. I'm thinking of such things
as dealing with difficult teenagers or solving everyday problems which
inevitably occur from time to time. A friendly ear can often be helpful.

--
HTH
David
Old June 16th 20, 03:58 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Snit

Diesel wrote:
[...]

I cannot recall you doing so as I quote errors of yours. But I also don’t
really focus on such things in civil conversation. Maybe you have an
example? Maybe not. If not it does not prove you never did — but of course
does not support it.

I do know you demand for me to get the peace with you I want you require me
to say I agree with you even when I do not. You require me to lie to gain
the peace I want. I will not lie. You will not move on from your need for
agreement, feigned or not. Seems we are at an impasse. Neither of us get
what we want. A shame but at least we know it.

And like most others I know, I *DO* own upto them and take necessary
steps to not only correct them when possible, but prevent it from
happening again if it's possible to do.

that's probably because he's constantly been looking over his
shoulder for his enemies to strike. :-(

Off you go again with this enemies idea you seem to have. If someone
out there actually still has a problem with me of a serious nature
over some ****ing code I wrote twenty plus years ago; then I'd say
they are the ones with serious mental issues.

You imagine I caused you harm and you cannot move on in peace but when you
acknowledge real harm to others you caused you say THEY have issues if they
cannot move on.

Nobody owes you forgiveness for the harm you caused them — though I agree
it would be absurd for any you harmed to follow you around as Carroll does
with me over his imagined harms.

I didn't go and kill a
person, or a pet, or anything else. I didn't rob any banks, I didn't
steal anyones pension or their life savings, or any other property
they owned. I didn't even steal copies of their damn data or hold any
of it for any ransom. That was NOT my thing, ever.

I wrote some self replicating code. Some of which had nasty payloads,

Can you say what these payloads did? What type harm did you cause they you
cannot understand why those you harmed might not forgive you, and others
might be cautious of you?

and, I have since apologized for having done that , MANY times.

Commendable. But you are not owed forgiveness by those you actively and
knowingly harmed.

Does not mean they cannot offer it, but you are not entitled.

[...]

I think we all have good and bad — or do good and bad things. Sure, there
are some who work to be on one side or the other of some vague spectrum but
I don’t by default group people as good or bad.

If I can ever be of help, Snit, do, please, let me know. :-)

I'm curious. What would you be able to help him with? I suspect he
knows more about macs than you do...

Knowledge is not a straight line. One can know more about X than another
and still learn from them about X. Heck, I did not know you could change
the width of a pen in MS Paint *as* you were drawing a line until a
kindergarten or maybe first grade kid figured it out and showed me. Just
knowing you can is a plus, but did you know? Can you do it?

I mean the old MS Paint on Windows 95 or 98.

Or one can know more math then I do without knowing where, visually, a
standard deviation should be drawn on a standard distribution bell curve. I
see math instructors who know more about math than I do get it very wrong.
Lots of examples of YouTube videos on the standard deviation where they
clearly do not know. They are not off by a little but a lot. Some even on
written materials they provide on the topic.

Maybe you have played D&D or other table top RPGs. Think of it this way:
two PCs can do a, say, knowledge check of some sort. The one with the
higher score has a better chance of knowing a specific bit of info, but the
one with the lower score can roll high and the one with the higher score
role low.

Now games do not capture the complexity of the real world — and a GM may
very well just say the person with the higher score knows X where the other
does not, but perhaps you get the idea.

Or maybe you have never played any tabletop RPG and do not know what I mean
and I just lost you completely, the opposite of my intention.

Old June 16th 20, 05:46 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Snit

David_B wrote:
On 16/06/2020 10:24, Diesel wrote:
I'm curious. What would you be able to help him with? I suspect he
knows more about macs than you do...

I've no doubt at all that MOST Usenet posters know far more about
computers than I do. Few folk in my circle use macs, so I'm really
pleased to have found a friend who has already helped me a great deal.

And you have asked questions and inspired me to do some research and helped
me. It is not as Diesel sees it — a competition. It is not tit-for-tat nor
a game of who knows more then whom. It is people sharing and enjoying and
learning.

But say Diesel was right and I could learn nothing from you about
computers. I do not think so nor care if it was true, but let us grant him
that. And say it was a competition of who knows more.

Well, I just got a boat. I know the basics of canoeing and a bit about
kayaking and rowing, but you know more about boating than I do.

The point is EVEN IF one needs a tit-for-tat exchange and knowledge was as
linear as Diesel presents it as (neither of which I agree with) one can
learn from others in different areas.

It would take extreme arrogance to believe otherwise. Hell, look at how I
speak of Carroll — I do not pretend he has good intentions but I speak well
of his knowledge of tech and music. And I have given examples of learning
from young kids.

If we are not open to learning we stop learning as much.

What you fail to understand, Dustin, is that computers are not the 'be
all and end all' for most people who live in the real world. Such
machines are more often than not just a 'tool' - like a 'phone, a
bicycle or a car. Most ordinary folk would never attempt to repair such
devices.

I might do some basic repairs but my focus is more knowing the features.
For example we recently got new home phones — and I named each of the five
for the place in the house they belong. Silly things did not show the name
by default so I found the rather hurried setting to get it to show. Then I
set ringtones on or off as needed. Even as multiple phones are used it is
easy to get them back where they belong. Could have done it by the set
number that shows, but easier to remember “Kitchen” belongs in the kitchen
then that 3 does. Or is it 4? I really am not sure.

My car door is set to deal with locks on the setting I (and my wife) want.
How many even know you can change the settings?

That is the type stuff I do. My programmer friends generally do not. Does
not suggest I can do what they do.

I have much experience of being a father and grandfather and I'm always
pleased to help others less knowledgeable. I'm thinking of such things
as dealing with difficult teenagers or solving everyday problems which
inevitably occur from time to time. A friendly ear can often be helpful.

I am very lucky to have amazing kids. Even with two adults and two teens
cooped up for this pandemic in a fairly small home, and with various health
issues, we get along well. Very little drama. Essentially none. But you
have shared some of your wisdom with me on that and I appreciate it.

Old June 16th 20, 10:53 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
David_B[_4_]

On 16/06/2020 17:46, Snit wrote:
David_B wrote:
On 16/06/2020 10:24, Diesel wrote:
I'm curious. What would you be able to help him with? I suspect he
knows more about macs than you do...

I've no doubt at all that MOST Usenet posters know far more about
computers than I do. Few folk in my circle use macs, so I'm really
pleased to have found a friend who has already helped me a great deal.

And you have asked questions and inspired me to do some research and helped
me. It is not as Diesel sees it — a competition. It is not tit-for-tat nor
a game of who knows more then whom. It is people sharing and enjoying and
learning.

Agreed!

But say Diesel was right and I could learn nothing from you about
computers. I do not think so nor care if it was true, but let us grant him
that. And say it was a competition of who knows more.

Well, I just got a boat. I know the basics of canoeing and a bit about
kayaking and rowing, but you know more about boating than I do.

More than twenty years service in the Royal Navy provided the
opportunity to handle all manner of craft.

The point is EVEN IF one needs a tit-for-tat exchange and knowledge was as
linear as Diesel presents it as (neither of which I agree with) one can
learn from others in different areas.

It would take extreme arrogance to believe otherwise. Hell, look at how I
speak of Carroll — I do not pretend he has good intentions but I speak well
of his knowledge of tech and music. And I have given examples of learning
from young kids.

If we are not open to learning we stop learning as much.

Again we are in agreement.

[...]

That's a very sensible approach. :-)

My car door is set to deal with locks on the setting I (and my wife) want.
How many even know you can change the settings?

That's something I have never needed to do!

That is the type stuff I do. My programmer friends generally do not. Does
not suggest I can do what they do.

WHY did you change settings?

I have much experience of being a father and grandfather and I'm always
pleased to help others less knowledgeable. I'm thinking of such things
as dealing with difficult teenagers or solving everyday problems which
inevitably occur from time to time. A friendly ear can often be helpful.

I am very lucky to have amazing kids. Even with two adults and two teens
cooped up for this pandemic in a fairly small home, and with various health
issues, we get along well. Very little drama. Essentially none. But you
have shared some of your wisdom with me on that and I appreciate it.

YW ;-)

Stay safe!

Old June 16th 20, 11:36 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Snit

On 6/16/20 2:53 PM, David_B wrote:
On 16/06/2020 17:46, Snit wrote:
David_B wrote:
[...]

I have a number of years as a Boy Scout going on canoe trips (including
down the Colorado river a few times) and a summer camp with a lake, and
then more years as a camp staff person at various camps were we had
canoes and sometimes rowboats and kayaks. Hmmm, and a day of kayaking on
a lake... and I have been ON speed boats a few times but never been
behind the wheel.

With that said, where you certainly know not just more but a vast amount
more, that does not mean there is nothing I know you do not. Just far
more the other direction.

I think you "win".

[...]

I do not remember the default, but we want it so when you open the
driver's door it first unlocks just that door, then if you unlock again
it unlocks all. And we want it so when you go out of park the doors do
NOT all lock (and then stay that way even if you go back into park). We
have a gate -- if I get in the car and one of the kids opens the gate
and then I pull forward and they close it, I want the doors unlocked by
default when they come to the car.

When we are in a rental I also turn OFF all the flashing and blinking
nonsense in many newer cars that, I think, mostly serve to distract the
driver. My car is old enough to not have that junk.

Side note: most car rental places do NOT reset the systems to forget
contacts and location history and the like as the car goes from person
to person. *I* delete it for myself and others. Not gonna say it makes
it so the drive is wiped so I am sure it could be gotten by a tech, but
the average driver will not see it.

I have much experience of being a father and grandfather and I'm
always pleased to help others less knowledgeable. I'm thinking of
such things as dealing with difficult teenagers or solving
everyday problems which inevitably occur from time to time. A
friendly ear can often be helpful.

I am very lucky to have amazing kids. Even with two adults and two
teens cooped up for this pandemic in a fairly small home, and with
various health issues, we get along well. Very little drama.
Essentially none. But you have shared some of your wisdom with me
on that and I appreciate it.

YW ;-)

Stay safe!

You as well. And your wife.

somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Old June 17th 20, 07:48 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
David_B[_4_]

On 16/06/2020 23:36, Snit wrote:
On 6/16/20 2:53 PM, David_B wrote:
On 16/06/2020 17:46, Snit wrote:
David_B wrote:
[...]

I rather envy your time canoeing down the Colorado River!

Visiting the Grand Canyon in November, with few visitor around, was one
of the highlights of my life. :-)

[...]

This whole topic is something I have never even thought about! Thank you
for explaining.

I have much experience of being a father and grandfather and I'm
always pleased to help others less knowledgeable. I'm thinking of
such things as dealing with difficult teenagers or solving
everyday problems which inevitably occur from time to time. A
friendly ear can often be helpful.

I am very lucky to have amazing kids. Even with two adults and two
teens cooped up for this pandemic in a fairly small home, and with
various health issues, we get along well. Very little drama.
Essentially none. But you have shared some of your wisdom with me
on that and I appreciate it.

YW ;-)

Stay safe!

You as well. And your wife.

Thank you. Ditto! :-D

(I loved that film!)

Old June 17th 20, 09:23 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Diesel[_3_]

David_B
Tue, 16 Jun 2020 13:48:27 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

On 16/06/2020 10:24, Diesel wrote:
I'm curious. What would you be able to help him with? I suspect
he knows more about macs than you do...

I've no doubt at all that MOST Usenet posters know far more about
computers than I do. Few folk in my circle use macs, so I'm really
pleased to have found a friend who has already helped me a great
deal.

Ouch. David, you need new friends.

--
What is the difference between a 69 and driving in the fog?
When driving in the fog, you can't see the asshole in front of you.

David Brooks WM338 Digital Photography 2 June 11th 20 09:07 PM
[OT] David Brooks - a known liar John McWilliams Digital Photography 0 April 16th 20 02:17 AM