Selection Dilemma: D-70 or 20D

Old January 6th 05, 02:19 PM
TORENGI

Default Selection Dilemma: D-70 or 20D

I'm having a lot of trouble choosing between the Nikon D-70
and the Canon 20D. Been a photographer for over 40 years.
This is my first venture into digital.

Does anyone have some experience with both that could give
me a few pointers on making my selection?

My only concern with the 20D is the file size of each photo.
Your thoughts please.............

Thank you very much for your time and courtesy.

John
Old January 6th 05, 02:26 PM
Abheet Gidwani via PhotoKB.com

i have been a photographer since the last 4 yrs now.. i was about to change to nikon from canon until i saw the 20 d and i tell i dont regret sticking with canon ... i suggest the canon 20 d is a far superior camera in all aspects to nikon d 70.

Old January 6th 05, 02:58 PM
Linda_N

"TORENGI" wrote in message

I'm having a lot of trouble choosing between the Nikon D-70
and the Canon 20D. Been a photographer for over 40 years.
This is my first venture into digital.

Does anyone have some experience with both that could give
me a few pointers on making my selection?

My only concern with the 20D is the file size of each photo.
Your thoughts please.............

Thank you very much for your time and courtesy.

John

They are both excellent mid skill level dSLR cameras, but the 20D has
required more firmware upgrades to fix some bugs that never should have made
it to market...with Canon it has become money first, consumer ease second...

You mention you've been a photographer for over 40 years so I'm assuming
you're not referring to instamatic cameras. What lenses do you have already?
Are any compatible with either the D70 or 20D? If the answer is yes than go
with the model camera that allows you to use all or some of your old lenses.
If the answer is no, Canon offers more choice for lenses, and more can be
found on the second hand market if budget is a consideration.

The 20D is a newer camera, and is the answer to Nikon's release of the D70.
As such the D20 has some offerings the D70 does not have, but don't let that
be your deciding factor because the D70 is cheaper, enough so that an extra
lens or two could be had for the difference, and both models still offer
more than most hobby photographers will ever use.

It is not likely that a replacement for the 20D will be out in the next 1.5
years, but the D70 replacement is 'likely' on the horizon to be released in
August, announced sooner.

Canon puts out more rebates on dSLR and lenses than Nikon does on average
which in the long run can get your those lenses which normally would be cost
prohibitive.

Linda

Old January 6th 05, 03:01 PM
Owamanga

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:26:05 GMT, "Abheet Gidwani via PhotoKB.com"
wrote:

i have been a photographer since the last 4 yrs now.. i was
about to change to nikon from canon until i saw the 20 d
and i tell i dont regret sticking with canon ... i suggest the
canon 20 d is a far superior camera in all aspects to nikon d 70.

I don't doubt you are correct, given just the price difference - The
street price of the 20D is 45% more expensive than the D70.

...and that's a significant price hike when you consider the D70 isn't
cheap to begin with.

But, you get what you pay for, and probably save money in the long run
because Canon lenses are cheaper.

...but again, even with the lenses..
...you get what you pay for :-p

--
Owamanga!
Old January 6th 05, 03:11 PM
Willem

Try this link:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/20dd70.htm

Willem

"TORENGI" schreef in bericht

Old January 6th 05, 03:27 PM
David J Taylor

TORENGI wrote:
I'm having a lot of trouble choosing between the Nikon D-70
and the Canon 20D. Been a photographer for over 40 years.
This is my first venture into digital.

Does anyone have some experience with both that could give
me a few pointers on making my selection?

My only concern with the 20D is the file size of each photo.
Your thoughts please.............

John, there is another choice - break out of the SLR rut and go for a
higher-end point and shoot. Unless you have an existing lens investment,
why pay for not only a DSLR body, but for all the lenses to go with it?
Bulky, and with problems of dust getting on the sensor each time you
change the lens.

Yes, DSLRs do produce a better quality image because of their larger
sensitive area, but you can get some remarkable cameras in point and
shoot. For example, the Panasonic FZ20 has an f/2.8 Leica lens covering
36 - 432mm focal length (35mm equivalent) with image stabilisation, and
yet it weighs far less and costs far less than the equivalent DSLR
combination.

I used SLRs forty years from 1968, but after getting my first Nikon
Coolpix digital camera in 1998 I haven't taken a single 35mm frame since.
OK, point-and shoot may not be for you, but don't discount the possibility
without considering it.

Cheers,
David

Old January 6th 05, 03:41 PM
Owamanga

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:11:54 +0100, "Willem"
wrote:

"TORENGI" schreef in bericht

I'm having a lot of trouble choosing between the Nikon D-70
and the Canon 20D. Been a photographer for over 40 years.
This is my first venture into digital.

Does anyone have some experience with both that could give
me a few pointers on making my selection?

My only concern with the 20D is the file size of each photo.
Your thoughts please.............

Thank you very much for your time and courtesy.

John

Try this link:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/20dd70.htm

Willem

Excellent article, if a bit ranty where he suggests the D70 is better
than the 20D because it has *two* places to change saturation instead
of one. Its like saying my amp volume goes up to 11 which is superior
to those that stop at 10.

--
Owamanga!
Old January 6th 05, 03:53 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Linda_N wrote:
The 20D is a newer camera, and is the answer to Nikon's release of

the D70.
As such the D20 has some offerings the D70 does not have, but don't

let that
be your deciding factor because the D70 is cheaper, enough so that an

extra
lens or two could be had for the difference, and both models still

offer
more than most hobby photographers will ever use.

Replace 20D with D70 and D70 with 300D in the text above and the logic
still stands ;-)

It would be:
The D70 is a newer camera, and is the answer to Canon's release of the
300D.
As such the D70 has some offerings the 300D does not have, but don't
let that
be your deciding factor because the 300D is cheaper, enough so that an
extra
lens or two could be had for the difference, and both models still
offer
more than most hobby photographers will ever use.
Now, throw in the Wasia hack!!! )

- Siddhartha