D2X v D200

Old June 9th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default D2X v D200

I'm writing a grant proposal for Big Brothers Big Sisters to mentor
children of incarcerated parents. I'm including in the budget a line
item for a camera. I'm debating whether a Nikon D2X is worth the extra
money versus a D200.

I'll be taking photos for the BBBS annual report, newsletter, website,
presentations, newspaper, posters and brochures. Naturally, since all
work and no play makes Bill a dull boy, I'll be using it for
landscapes, portraits and the like.

I'm interested in your opinions and advice. I'm prettywell stuck with
Nikon since I have several lenses for my F4.

Cheers and have a great weekend.
Bill in Lake Charles (Louisiana)

Old June 9th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bill K wrote:
I'm writing a grant proposal for Big Brothers Big Sisters to mentor
children of incarcerated parents. I'm including in the budget a line
item for a camera. I'm debating whether a Nikon D2X is worth the extra
money versus a D200.

I'll be taking photos for the BBBS annual report, newsletter, website,
presentations, newspaper, posters and brochures. Naturally, since all
work and no play makes Bill a dull boy, I'll be using it for
landscapes, portraits and the like.

I'm interested in your opinions and advice. I'm prettywell stuck with
Nikon since I have several lenses for my F4.

10.2 megapixels is more than plenty for your purposes. And at less
than half the cost of a D2X, your chances of getting the camera are
exponentially increased. I sincerely doubt that BBBS would spring
$4500 pre-rebate (which is up June 30th anyway) for a digital camera
for newsletters, website shots, posters, and portait/landscapes.

Old June 10th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill K wrote:
[...]

I am thinking that the D200 is much more camera than you will ever need,
I think the D70s or even the D50 will easily fullfill your needs and be far
easier to use to boot.

Cheers.

Pete

Old June 10th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Bill K wrote:

I'm writing a grant proposal for Big Brothers Big Sisters to mentor
children of incarcerated parents. I'm including in the budget a line
item for a camera. I'm debating whether a Nikon D2X is worth the
extra money versus a D200.

Well, if you are spending someone else's money then the answer is the D2x.
I have both the D2x and the D200 and I tell you that you will enjoy both
equally well and both will fit to your needs perfectly. Plus, the price of
the D2x is falling where it is much more tempting. A brand new factory
sealed D2x at $4,299.95 and a $500 Nikon cash back rebate is hard to argue
with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ7626828937ZViewItem

Rita

---
Thanks Rita. I really am leaning toward the D2X. If I was really
audacious I'd ask for a Hasselblad
Bill in Lake Charles

Old June 10th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thanks Pete,
In my heart I know you're right but my ego says different
Bill in Lake Charles

Pete D wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 10th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bill K wrote:

Thanks Pete,
In my heart I know you're right but my ego says different
Bill in Lake Charles

Don't know if this matters, but think about the extra budgetary surplus
if you go the route of the D200...close to $3000.

Old June 10th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

After reading your responses to those who have tried to advise you, I have
come to these conclusions: 1. You want the most expensive camera possible in
order to boost your weak ego, and 2. You don't give a damn about the Big
Brother-Big Sister organization, you are using their precious funds for your
own purposes. You are the lowest form of life.

JTS Brown

ups.com...

Old June 10th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

JTS Brown wrote:

After reading your responses to those who have tried to advise you, I have
come to these conclusions: 1. You want the most expensive camera possible
in order to boost your weak ego, and 2. You don't give a damn about the
Big Brother-Big Sister organization, you are using their precious funds
for your
own purposes. You are the lowest form of life.

Sometimes these organizations deserve what they get. Upgraded the local
food bank to the tune of $200K paid for by the national organization all in
the service of meeting the requirements stated by the national organization
for supporting software to be provided by them that links all member food
banks to allow an online national inventory to be maintained for use in
case of disasters such as Katrina. The national organization then failed
to deliver the software. Do I feel bad about spending their 200K? Not at
all. I do wish though that it had gone for something that the local food
bank really _needed_ instead of bigger and better computers.

JTS Brown

ups.com...

--
--John