Photo through Window?

Old July 22nd 04, 08:17 PM
Mick

Default Photo through Window?

Folks, I have to take a group shot of around 60 people in the next couple of
days. Can anyone give any tips on doing this. The Photograph HAS to be taken
through a Window and from above the people; this is the choice of the group
involved not mine, there is no other option for this.
They want it taken in a confined courtyard with a seating area surrounded by
a grassy/flowery verge, and the windows only open from the top for a few
inches; so it MUST be through the glass.

I'm using a Fuji 6900 digital zoom and have both Fuji 1.5 Tele and the Fuji
Wide angle lenses: A Hama circular polarising filter and a Hama UV filter.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Mick.

Old July 22nd 04, 08:30 PM
SleeperMan

Mick typed:

Folks, I have to take a group shot of around 60 people in the next
couple of days. Can anyone give any tips on doing this. The
Photograph HAS to be taken through a Window and from above the
people; this is the choice of the group involved not mine, there is
no other option for this.
They want it taken in a confined courtyard with a seating area
surrounded by a grassy/flowery verge, and the windows only open from
the top for a few inches; so it MUST be through the glass.

I'm using a Fuji 6900 digital zoom and have both Fuji 1.5 Tele and
the Fuji Wide angle lenses: A Hama circular polarising filter and a
Hama UV filter.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Mick.

I took some test shots through window (with my Canon S1) and they all came
out a bit foggy - like there is a bit of fog in between and not so sharp as
they would be normally. But, in any case, it's best to have the camera as
close as possible to the glass (and of course clean the glass thoroughly).
Take some test shots first to see if camera will focus through the glass.

Old July 22nd 04, 08:30 PM
John McWilliams

Mick wrote:

Folks, I have to take a group shot of around 60 people in the next couple of
days. Can anyone give any tips on doing this. The Photograph HAS to be taken
through a Window and from above the people; this is the choice of the group
involved not mine, there is no other option for this.
They want it taken in a confined courtyard with a seating area surrounded by
a grassy/flowery verge, and the windows only open from the top for a few
inches; so it MUST be through the glass.

I'm using a Fuji 6900 digital zoom and have both Fuji 1.5 Tele and the Fuji
Wide angle lenses: A Hama circular polarising filter and a Hama UV filter.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Write them now and say it'll take some real time, and they'll have to
sit perfectly still.

Then go to said window with all the equip. esp. a tripod; find out what
works best, what length of exposure you need. Angle may be able to be
adjusted slightly to get rid of window reflection (if any.) Take a bunch
of shots at presumed best exposure of group before you have them sit at
attention, look up, whatever is planned.

--

John McWilliams

Old July 22nd 04, 08:42 PM
jaf

Hi Mick,
"A few inches" should be enough room for most lenses.
Can the window pane be removed?

If no to all...
And if they insist on that angle to get everyone in the photo, they have to
be willing to pay the price.
Break the window.
Charge the customer the cost of breakage & replacement.
It's dangerous to break glass, so charge them a lot for "hazardous duty pay"
and smile when you hand them the bill.

--
John
johnf 202 at hotmail dot com

Old July 22nd 04, 08:42 PM
jaf

Old July 22nd 04, 09:29 PM
Mick

"jaf" wrote in message
Hi Mick,
"A few inches" should be enough room for most lenses.
Can the window pane be removed?

If no to all...
And if they insist on that angle to get everyone in the photo, they have

be willing to pay the price.
Break the window.
Charge the customer the cost of breakage & replacement.
It's dangerous to break glass, so charge them a lot for "hazardous duty

pay"
and smile when you hand them the bill.

--
John
johnf 202 at hotmail dot com

"Mick" wrote in message

Thanks for the advice folks. I do intend setting up early and expeimenting
using handheld and tripod. Would using either f the "Filters" help decrease
the "window glare" if there is any? Also I would assume getting fairly close
to the window would help.

Only the very top part of the window opens and ther's not enough room to
"angle" the camera properly.

jaf: I don't think they'd like me breaking the glass but hey if all else
fails.... who knows.

Mick.

Old July 22nd 04, 09:49 PM
Ken Weitzel

Mick wrote:
Folks, I have to take a group shot of around 60 people in the next couple of
days. Can anyone give any tips on doing this. The Photograph HAS to be taken
through a Window and from above the people; this is the choice of the group
involved not mine, there is no other option for this.
They want it taken in a confined courtyard with a seating area surrounded by
a grassy/flowery verge, and the windows only open from the top for a few
inches; so it MUST be through the glass.

I'm using a Fuji 6900 digital zoom and have both Fuji 1.5 Tele and the Fuji
Wide angle lenses: A Hama circular polarising filter and a Hama UV filter.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Mick.

Hi Mick...

I'm not nearly a photographer, I just take pictures...
but have taken many through the front window at the
cottage... (deer, rabbits, various and sundry birds,
once a very very large bear

Obviously clean the glass thoroughly, but you knew that...
not with glass cleaner (leaves a film) but rather with
isopropyl alcohol (no film, and dries fast so less likely to
leave streaks)

Turn off all the lights on the camera side, get it
as dark as you possibly can.

Obviously no flash, so light the subject side as
well as you can. If you can work it out, no lights
near to the window on the subject side, either.

Lens as close to the glass as you can get it. Hood
touching is good

And possibly prepare for manual focus, just in case
the auto doesn't work properly. (mine doesn't)

Hope that's helpful; good luck.

Ken