synchronizing JPEGs from different cameras?

Old September 3rd 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default synchronizing JPEGs from different cameras?

my friends and myself came from a trek in the mountains with 100s of
pictures on 4 different cameras. Is there a (free?) software to pull
out the date stamps from the JPEGs and sort them by time accordingly?

Old September 3rd 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

wrote:
my friends and myself came from a trek in the mountains with 100s of
pictures on 4 different cameras. Is there a (free?) software to pull
out the date stamps from the JPEGs and sort them by time accordingly?

Assuming that you are using Windows:
pixvue allows you to add the exif date in the detail view, you can then
sort the list according to that.
http://www.pixvue.com/

Old September 3rd 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
m Ransley

Sorting by date is something that should be on your cameras included
program, I think its on all my programs or maybe look at Picassa.

Old September 4th 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor

wrote:
my friends and myself came from a trek in the mountains with 100s of
pictures on 4 different cameras. Is there a (free?) software to pull
out the date stamps from the JPEGs and sort them by time accordingly?

I use PIE Studio from Picmeta Softwa

http://www.picmeta.com/

Remember to set your camera clocks accurately to start with, and to the
same time zone!

Cheers,
David

Old September 4th 06, 10:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On 3 Sep 2006 12:59:04 -0700, wrote:

my friends and myself came from a trek in the mountains with 100s of
pictures on 4 different cameras. Is there a (free?) software to pull
out the date stamps from the JPEGs and sort them by time accordingly?

I use the excellent (and free) Pixfer from
http://www.glasslantern.com/ to copy and rename the files
from the camera or card. Renaming is very flexible including
of course data and time. It has other advantages too, best
try it and see what you think.

I rename to a format that prepends the filename with the
EXIF date/time so "IMG01234.JPG" would become something like
"060904-100350-IMG01234.JPG", which is automatically
sortable by filename. As a side effect it also resolves the
potential problem of duplicate filenames.

It will copy (or move) files on the PC as well as from
cards, so you can use it to reorganose those you've already
copied from the camera(s).

--
John Bean
Old September 4th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Thank you all! We did synchronize the clocks, and even if we didn't
based on the first several pictures, can't I re-asjust the time stamps?

I've never heard of the orientation sensor. Can anyone tell me more
about it? Is it a standard feature on all cameras? the oldest camera is
~4 years old (Canon powershot S50). The other 3 cameras are more
recent, and are in the same price range.

I will also check is Python has a module for reading timestamps from
JPEGs, then I could write a simple script to sort and rename all files.