How dark is the night sky beyond our solar system?

Old July 21st 04, 06:12 PM
jjs

Default How dark is the night sky beyond our solar system?

"AA Institute" wrote in message
om...
[...]
Question: Is it possible to simulate that *minute* 1/300th of a full
moon illumination inside a photographic dark room? Is there a
professional hi-tec kind of photo studio where you can adjust the
level of dark room illumination that can match my estimated cosmic sky
illumination?

There is nothing unique about a photographic darkroom. It's simply a dark
room. If you know the candle-power and if there is a meter which is
sensitive enough you can illuminate the dark room to 1/300th full-moon. Of
course, there is the issue of evenness of illumination but you didn't ask
that.

You really should consider consulting professional astronomers.

Old July 22nd 04, 12:16 AM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
"jjs" wrote:

"AA Institute" wrote in message
om...
[...]
Question: Is it possible to simulate that *minute* 1/300th of a full
moon illumination inside a photographic dark room? Is there a
professional hi-tec kind of photo studio where you can adjust the
level of dark room illumination that can match my estimated cosmic sky
illumination?

There is nothing unique about a photographic darkroom. It's simply a dark
room. If you know the candle-power and if there is a meter which is
sensitive enough you can illuminate the dark room to 1/300th full-moon. Of
course, there is the issue of evenness of illumination but you didn't ask
that.

You really should consider consulting professional astronomers.

Most Darkrooms are "NOT" completely dark.......therefore
over time if one could measure relative light accumulation,.....
which one can do by measuring the films density one realizes that any
exposure value could/can be achieved relative to the baseline fog
for a given film. A small crack or hole in a darkroom wall will eventually
fog film. A central point light source relative to the dimensions of the room
should yield even illumination.

BTW the Universe is not truely Dark, if one includes all the electromagnetic
energys that bypass human eyesight,.....my theory (although NOT an astronomer)
is that the energy is equal to or greater than the antimatter that may hold such forces
in their respective places.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old July 22nd 04, 12:34 PM
jjs

"Gregory W Blank" wrote in message

[...] my theory (although NOT an astronomer)
is that the energy is equal to or greater than the antimatter that may

hold such forces
in their respective places.

By golly, Greg I think you may have stumbled onto the best description of
Usenet content - it's composed of anit-matter.

Old July 23rd 04, 12:25 AM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
"jjs" wrote:

"Gregory W Blank" wrote in message

[...] my theory (although NOT an astronomer)
is that the energy is equal to or greater than the antimatter that may

hold such forces
in their respective places.

By golly, Greg I think you may have stumbled onto the best description of
Usenet content - it's composed of anit-matter.

The real question I guess is does anyofitmatter? :-)

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old July 23rd 04, 03:55 AM
PATRICK GAINER

AA Institute wrote:

"jjs" wrote in message ...
"AA Institute" wrote in message
om...
[...]
Question: Is it possible to simulate that *minute* 1/300th of a full
moon illumination inside a photographic dark room? Is there a
professional hi-tec kind of photo studio where you can adjust the
level of dark room illumination that can match my estimated cosmic sky
illumination?

There is nothing unique about a photographic darkroom. It's simply a dark
room. If you know the candle-power and if there is a meter which is
sensitive enough you can illuminate the dark room to 1/300th full-moon. Of
course, there is the issue of evenness of illumination but you didn't ask
that.

You really should consider consulting professional astronomers.

This -6.5 magnitudes or 1/300th of a full moon figure that I've
defined in my paper (my so-called "Ahad minimum illumination" of the
collective light from the total cosmic night sky) LOL! is far too
*theoretical* for my liking.
What does it all mean in practical terms? If you were indeed sailing
on some interstellar voyage out to the stars, that 1/300th of a full
moon worth of light would be scattered back out into starry points of
light filling the interior of a 3D celestial sphere all around you.

I suppose the best place to simulate the experience of being in a star
filled sky, light years away from the Sun and solar system (which is
the scene painted in my hypothetical voyage out towards the stars in
the paper), would be inside a planetarium.

There is then some homework to be done on how to scatter the -6.5
magnitudes worth of collective light back into individual stars and to
project those stars onto the interior screen of a planetarium
dome...such that the whole scene throws out 1/300th of a full moon
worth of illumination.

If my paper really catches on with the science communities (since this
is the FIRST TIME in history that anyone has come up with a
theoretical brightness estimate for the interstellar night sky (i.e.
me!) and the the idea of experiencing a voyage through the depths of
interstellar space becomes popular (unlikely), the London Planetarium
might have the expertise to provide such a show with a life-like
simulation!
I'll leave the nitty gritty physics required to scatter my 1/300th of
a full moon back out into individual stars to their experts I think.
Unless.... of course anyone has any ideas here?

AAI

How many astronomy text books have you read? There have been a number of theories about the
brightness of the night sky. I don't comprehend your use of the term "scattered back". See
if you can find Michael Covington's web site. He is an astronomer, a teacher of astronomy,
and a photographer and experimenter in photography who should be known to this forum. A
Google will turn him up. So also is my brother, Michael K. Gainer.

From what I have read, the biggest problem with sky brightness is not its magnitude, but
how to explain the low magnitude that has been measured. Considering the number of stars in
the measurable universe, there should be a star in any direction you care to look. Then
too, there is the background radiation of about 4000 K color temperature that is proposed
to be the result of, and a large part of the proof of, a Big Bang origin of the univers we
know.

Old July 23rd 04, 04:09 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"AA Institute" wrote

This -6.5 magnitudes or 1/300th of a full moon figure that I've
defined in my paper (my so-called "Ahad minimum illumination" of the
collective light from the total cosmic night sky) LOL! is far too
*theoretical* for my liking.
What does it all mean in practical terms?

Go outside on a moonless night and look up.