EOS 20D - problems with counting the number of exposures on a CF card

Old October 27th 05, 09:45 PM
mikecroft

Default EOS 20D - problems with counting the number of exposures on a CF card

I bought my 20D on 01/04/05. Used it with a Sandisk Ultra 2 512mb card
for 4 months approx. No problems. Always showed about 130 exps after
clearing card (best JPEG setting). Took about 800 exps. Near end
August, after clearing showed 105 shots. Contacted Canon who said its
only an estimate as each shot can be between 1-3mb. Also downloaded and
installed firmware 2.2 (latest). No change. Now it can start at 105,
take one exp, number goes up to 107! Canon don't seem to have any
answers. Does anyone else?

Old October 27th 05, 09:52 PM
Iraxl Enb

mikecroft wrote:
I bought my 20D on 01/04/05. Used it with a Sandisk Ultra 2 512mb card
for 4 months approx. No problems. Always showed about 130 exps after
clearing card (best JPEG setting). Took about 800 exps. Near end
August, after clearing showed 105 shots. Contacted Canon who said its
only an estimate as each shot can be between 1-3mb. Also downloaded and
installed firmware 2.2 (latest). No change. Now it can start at 105,
take one exp, number goes up to 107! Canon don't seem to have any
answers. Does anyone else?

Flash memory chips have a finite write cycle, but
usually much larger than what a typical consumer might
use... Are formatting the flash when you clear it each
time? You can get a card reader and hook it up to a PC
and check available memory after each format...

I doubt the problem would be with the 20d...

Good luck!

irax.
Old October 27th 05, 09:52 PM
Cuz

mikecroft wrote:
|| I bought my 20D on 01/04/05. Used it with a Sandisk Ultra 2
|| 512mb card for 4 months approx. No problems. Always showed
|| about 130 exps after clearing card (best JPEG setting). Took
|| about 800 exps. Near end August, after clearing showed 105
|| shots. Contacted Canon who said its only an estimate as each
|| shot can be between 1-3mb. Also downloaded and installed
|| firmware 2.2 (latest). No change. Now it can start at 105,
|| take one exp, number goes up to 107! Canon don't seem to
|| have any answers. Does anyone else?

The number of exposures is an estimate as you were told by
Canon.
Compressed JPG files of the same pixel count vary in size
depending
on the compression, number of colors, and photo content. The
estimate is recalculated when a file is added to the card and
can
vary up or down based on the card contents.

Cuz

Old October 27th 05, 10:48 PM
Aad

"mikecroft" schreef in bericht
ups.com...
I bought my 20D on 01/04/05. Used it with a Sandisk Ultra 2 512mb card
for 4 months approx. No problems. Always showed about 130 exps after
clearing card (best JPEG setting). Took about 800 exps. Near end
August, after clearing showed 105 shots. Contacted Canon who said its
only an estimate as each shot can be between 1-3mb. Also downloaded and
installed firmware 2.2 (latest).

No, it's not. 2.03 is out just now.
Guess what. It solves problems with some cf cards!
Aad

Old October 27th 05, 11:25 PM

mikecroft tries to troll with a short shaggy dog story:

I bought my 20D on 01/04/05.

April Fools, fool.

Used it with a Sandisk Ultra 2 512mb card
for 4 months approx. No problems. Always showed about 130 exps after
clearing card (best JPEG setting). Took about 800 exps. Near end
August, after clearing showed 105 shots. Contacted Canon who said its
only an estimate as each shot can be between 1-3mb. Also downloaded and
installed firmware 2.2 (latest). No change. Now it can start at 105,
take one exp, number goes up to 107! Canon don't seem to have any
answers. Does anyone else?

Canon answers your question, and you ask for "answers". More than
likely the CS people at Canon figured out -- probably immediately --
that you are a nitwit and it is unprofitable to continue the
relationship. Take their advice: sell your equipment before a real
"problem" comes along.

Old October 27th 05, 11:56 PM
Bill Hilton

Always showed about 130 exps after clearing card (best
JPEG setting). Took about 800 exps. Near end
August, after clearing showed 105 shots.

Even changing the ISO setting will make this estimated # of shots value
change, since higher ISO shots are noisier and don't compress as well.
It's just a starting estimate.

Contacted Canon who said its
only an estimate as each shot can be between 1-3mb.

Exactly right. Shoot something smooth toned like a test card or the
sky and it will compress very well, shoot something with fine detail
and the file with the same setting will be much larger. It's not
rocket science.

Canon don't seem to have any answers. Does anyone else?

Canon gave you the right answer, it's just an estimate and changes with
ISO setting or jpeg setting or subject matter. Don't worry about it,
the card will take as many as it will take regardless of what it says
on the screen ... the starting estimate for my 1Ds and a 1 GB card is
83 but I always get over 100 RAW shots on the card. Don't worry about
it ...

Bill